Etrac on the beach...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
ETrac will handle just as well as the Excal. FBS and BBS are demons in salt water and mineralized ground with hardly to no depth loss. Etrac you have your screen VDI but I wouldn't go much deeper than your ankles with it, running the risk of flooding your controls. The Etrac and FBS series are great on the beach but for excessive continuous use, I would buy the Excal. I've heard over time the salt damp air can penetrate the housing and ruin your detector if you aren't using a fully water proof unit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure and protect the controls from the salt spray in the air when at the beach..

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger, naturally that's the excals natural habitat, but for shallow work ankle deep to mid calf if your very careful, the etrac will work great. Especially since you can change coils so easily. I use my Se pro a lot on the beaches, all I do is take a QT size zip lock baggie and make a housing cover out of it to protect the electronics.
A lot of times if I am just working the sand I don't even bother covering the housing, I know I should though.

With the coil changes being so easy and a vast assortment of coils available you can tailor your unit to perform its best, a lot easier than an excal.

If your only doing this a couple times a year I really do not recommend a PI unit, they hit hard and deep but on every lil scrap of metal, in other words, you'll dig a lot of bobby pins. With the etrac you can tune the high ferrous objects out and be able to spend your limited time on the more valuable targets.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread