Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Been working on this for a few years and finally have some extra time to work on my own projects, last trip out, burnt out the 1o inch coil, some how...So I put it back on the shelf for several months, till today. We had snow again and just nasty cold winds so I laid out a few projects, hooked up this one and got some video. What you are seeing is the Transmit field of the coil by using the Audiosears speaker, like a crystal radio picking up the field. Measured there is a set 17% increase in the field which will equal several more inch's in depth...

Interesting is how the Double D coil has some weak points / strong points, one would never know, and it could be because of the surrounding area

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OBN, very interesting and curious to see how it reacts in the field. Keep us up to date. :icon_thumright:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very interesting..... especially the hotspot and dead spot without the afterburner on...which makes one wonder IF all coils are created equal???? Nice increase in the distance with the afterburner on. Good luck with it, I'll be with the others patiently watching!

Cliff

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting; I wonder if you did several coils if they would show the same areal strengths and weaknesses or if this is something that is unique to each coil.

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy...Sorry but i could not hear it..

Good, you find to much gold all ready... Only you Buddy, stay warm..

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
CF/Tenn...Very interesting; I wonder if you did several coils if they would show the same areal strengths and weaknesses or if this is something that is unique to each coil.

Something else I need to do because I have many 10 inch coils here...may have to hook up some jumper wires for some quick test just to see if all are similar....Would be interesting.

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting..... especially the hotspot and dead spot without the afterburner on...which makes one wonder IF all coils are created equal
huh.gif
? Nice increase in the distance with the afterburner on. Good luck with it, I'll be with the others patiently watching!

Cliff

Yes, the increase is great but I see the profit as only being maybe 3 to 5 inch's...I would like to see a lot more...

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joe, how about trying different brands, sizes of coils.

Your demo brought the original Se coils to mind, not sure your aware that everyone swapped them out first because they were ahhh shall I say inferior to other coils, perhaps the 10" excal coil suffers the same. Perhaps that's why so many have had such good luck after replacing the stock 10" coil on the excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread