terra 705 gold, reading 46 on quarters? Was 42?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the stock 7.5, 10.5" DD, 6" 18.75,15" coiltech 18.75, stock elliptical 18.75 and the digger. I had the same results as you but found an edge with the stock gold coil, it was* extremely accurate to 5" rarely did anything bounce. If a field was showing nickels at 14 it stayed 14 left swing right swing. Now that same field same coil nickels bounce +6-6. I think it's funny the passion these 2 have telling me I'm wrong when it's my JOB, it's not a hobby, it's not even fun anymore lol. I have to find gold every week. I have only my family and income to worry about. Notice the similar passion "a new 705 owner has" and longhair, it seems to me all 3 of us have money involved. I never bashed minelab, I told the TRUTH about what correspondence I've had. I even left out the negative things and still will. All I care about is getting my machine to repeat. 42,44 on clad, sure, 46? No. Nickels bouncing +-6 NO. A new 705 owner telling me how my tool works he has a few days experience with, NO.
I'm confident enough in my skills and knowledge of this machine to tell some trolls NO. I had 3 of my friends buy this exact detector because they find gold! When they are working properly.

Well I can't say I have the experience you do! How did you end up having a job detecting? I could only imagine trying to make living wage by metal detecting. There has got to be some reason for the skewed ID#s, I am shocked nobody else has had this problem. I could not find the post where someone said you are 'wrong'. I will say that just because someone responds unfavorably to your posts does not make them a troll.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daycare (wifes sister) decided to quit, no warning no notice. My wife and I both work, my job involved out of town for weeks, months so we decided Id play daddy daycare until we figure out a safe place for them. had 1 lined up, their kid had the unimaginal happen to him so he is now not safe for my son to be around. Detecting for extra income, SUCKS, daily pressure wipes tot lots clean in a few months, then you start hitting the dirt. not to mention schools are in session right now and in my area very few have access even on weekends. you would be surprised what you learn detecting everyday. I know, why I find, what I do, where I do. I have learned where a tot lot "environment" I look at bark like the ocean, stacks items, I know ways around gold next to iron. I know odds vs holes, Ive learned the areas locals miss on their tot lots. so so so much more. tot lots make up 30% of my time. I ended yesterday at 8pm at the school I started detecting at, have hunted it so many times, Ive gained district access from the cleaning I do, janitor key returns etc, the last Target was a 3-4" nickel that bounced from 12-16. My old success has always been and Ive told all my friends that bought 705s "gold wont bounce" its true most of the time. high KT and uneven shaped will. small 18k band was bouncing 12-14 when the machine was stable "months ago" bent rings, bracelets, mens large block front, rear banded rings bounce. I can ramble on target ID for days.
As far as "income" Im sure youre curious lol, I will just say, Id rather be able to work but Im not going broke detecting. However, Ive been lucky and found 4 large spots that each produced a lot, of gold on their own, that's gone now, it will take years to come back. So the income will only lower for my current style, and I believe this to be why most who do it for a living live near a coast, most FL. I talked to a well known guy, on here who found a combined 4oz of Jewelry gold and 1 super special ring that appraised at nearly 30k. He found it in warm weather coast detecting, I think it was 5 months.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daycare (wifes sister) decided to quit, no warning no notice. My wife and I both work, my job involved out of town for weeks, months so we decided Id play daddy daycare until we figure out a safe place for them. had 1 lined up, their kid had the unimaginal happen to him so he is now not safe for my son to be around. Detecting for extra income, SUCKS, daily pressure wipes tot lots clean in a few months, then you start hitting the dirt. not to mention schools are in session right now and in my area very few have access even on weekends. you would be surprised what you learn detecting everyday. I know, why I find, what I do, where I do. I have learned where a tot lot "environment" I look at bark like the ocean, stacks items, I know ways around gold next to iron. I know odds vs holes, Ive learned the areas locals miss on their tot lots. so so so much more. tot lots make up 30% of my time. I ended yesterday at 8pm at the school I started detecting at, have hunted it so many times, Ive gained district access from the cleaning I do, janitor key returns etc, the last Target was a 3-4" nickel that bounced from 12-16. My old success has always been and Ive told all my friends that bought 705s "gold wont bounce" its true most of the time. high KT and uneven shaped will. small 18k band was bouncing 12-14 when the machine was stable "months ago" bent rings, bracelets, mens large block front, rear banded rings bounce. I can ramble on target ID for days.
As far as "income" Im sure youre curious lol, I will just say, Id rather be able to work but Im not going broke detecting. However, Ive been lucky and found 4 large spots that each produced a lot, of gold on their own, that's gone now, it will take years to come back. So the income will only lower for my current style, and I believe this to be why most who do it for a living live near a coast, most FL. I talked to a well known guy, on here who found a combined 4oz of Jewelry gold and 1 super special ring that appraised at nearly 30k. He found it in warm weather coast detecting, I think it was 5 months.

Interesting... Thats why I was inquiring, I have been building my business for over 10 years & I am finally to the point of not stressing on having enough orders to keep bills paid. It must be very stressful for you. Sorry about your situation, it must suck when things dry up in the area. If we get someone if office (wrong section, I know) who actually cares about America, things will get better for all of us. Hang in there man. Scott

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fellows I had no intention starting a squabble over IDs. Please ignore my comments...
What I am saying that detecting is a lot like fishing. To me.
Try another spot
Change bait
If Yellow/Green is what they are striking I'll use that color.

I tuned my 705 to pick up 80+% coins and jewelry. If I miss something no big deal. Whatever the quarter, dime, silver read I don't care. As I am searching a broad range of most likely targets. If I knew I was targetting Dimes specifically I might block other Targets out. I am searching city parks, campsites, old farms etc. Just general detecting. If I get a "giood" signal I'll dig the target. It IS THE SIGNAL I listen to. And if the dime was close to a nickle or whatever with signals jumping, so what?

I have a box of lures all guaranteed to catch more fish. And diet pils orfood that guarantees I will lose weight. Depending.

Sorry guys please get a grip. If REALITY for my 705 says an odd ID number great. Why you think I should block out that unusual ID? What's the point. Can't we just go metal detecting? Geez...
BB

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellows I had no intention starting a squabble over IDs. Please ignore my comments...
What I am saying that detecting is a lot like fishing. To me.
Try another spot
Change bait
If Yellow/Green is what they are striking I'll use that color.

I tuned my 705 to pick up 80+% coins and jewelry. If I miss something no big deal. Whatever the quarter, dime, silver read I don't care. As I am searching a broad range of most likely targets. If I knew I was targetting Dimes specifically I might block other Targets out. I am searching city parks, campsites, old farms etc. Just general detecting. If I get a "giood" signal I'll dig the target. It IS THE SIGNAL I listen to. And if the dime was close to a nickle or whatever with signals jumping, so what?

I have a box of lures all guaranteed to catch more fish. And diet pils orfood that guarantees I will lose weight. Depending.

Sorry guys please get a grip. If REALITY for my 705 says an odd ID number great. Why you think I should block out that unusual ID? What's the point. Can't we just go metal detecting? Geez...
BB

Exactly Bob. Good (audio) signals get dug, regardless of what #s are on the screen. If the target is the within the tones I'm hunting for I will dig it.

olds442_hurst

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 705 with various coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i realize this post isn't new but i had the same problem and fixed it with a factory reset and then set my settings as desired...haven't had an issue since and have had my machine going on three years. ps there is no difference in the detector if you get the gold package or standard, just the coil that comes with it.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olds, that's how my "symptoms" started. It went EMI erratic non stop, auto set everything nothing would stop it, I would have to wait it out at first 1-3mins, then I did a reset which I do often (ever time I change coils) then one day I dug a US clad 50 cent piece at +2, this got my attention and what I noticed was I had got used to the bouncing and erratic behavior over time. I'm not sure if the techs don't understand the amount of hours I have on the machine or what. I notice CTX owners get better service.
Xterra 705 gold $750 big K
6"Coilteck digger $190
6"Minelab 18.75 $140
9" 7.5KH coil $100
9" 3KH coil $125
10.5"DD 7.5 coil $150
15" coiltek 18.75 $250
There's more $ involved but for near $2000 I'd hope a nickel would repeat at 2-3", Not to mention the hours I've invested and that's more important than anything.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an RMA but am in no hurry to send it in. I've done so 3 times and offer to pay priority shipping but It always shows up snail mail weeks later.

A tech actually called me and instead of asking "what's the problem" or "how can We fix it" he started his first sentence insulting my knowledge of the machine, tried to bully me with his "engineering talk" after I explained I do this everyday, it's a job NOT hobby and the amount of hours on the machine I have he offered an RMA, and Genuinly said "I'll get your machine fixed" I have no doubt he was sincere but I'm not waning a continuing argument over a metal detector, I want it to work.
Every time I send it off I LOSE $, I can't "work" I sold My back ups thinking It was fixed this time, what do I possibly have to gain by ASKING others here about their machines.
And I honestly don't know if the PCB was actually replaced as I never got a maintenance/repair paper. The receptionist at KelleyCo said it was replaced but could she have said that in error, absolutely.
I'm pretty much over fighting for a warranty. I learned a valuable lesson. Customer service is now my #1 buying factor. But, I use the machine everyday. Sure there's more expensive machines But if everyone in my area owned them, it makes sense to be different. I don't target silver or deep items. Everyday something is freshly dropped, that's what I want

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an RMA but am in no hurry to send it in. I've done so 3 times and offer to pay priority shipping but It always shows up snail mail weeks later.

A tech actually called me and instead of asking "what's the problem" or "how can We fix it" he started his first sentence insulting my knowledge of the machine, tried to bully me with his "engineering talk" after I explained I do this everyday, it's a job NOT hobby and the amount of hours on the machine I have he offered an RMA, and Genuinly said "I'll get your machine fixed" I have no doubt he was sincere but I'm not waning a continuing argument over a metal detector, I want it to work.
Every time I send it off I LOSE $, I can't "work" I sold My back ups thinking It was fixed this time, what do I possibly have to gain by ASKING others here about their machines.
And I honestly don't know if the PCB was actually replaced as I never got a maintenance/repair paper. The receptionist at KelleyCo said it was replaced but could she have said that in error, absolutely.
I'm pretty much over fighting for a warranty. I learned a valuable lesson. Customer service is now my #1 buying factor. But, I use the machine everyday. Sure there's more expensive machines But if everyone in my area owned them, it makes sense to be different. I don't target silver or deep items. Everyday something is freshly dropped, that's what I want

Good luck man, I hope they figure it out this time. I would be looking for a part-time job (at least), just in case things take longer than expected from ML. No guarantees there will be money or gold every hunt.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atomic, I appreciate your sincere care for my financial gains through detecting but it was a choice for my son. I'd prefer to be working, Journeyman electricians make more and I do miss the extra $ but were not poor. I don't sell every piece of gold. I'll PM you.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atomic, I appreciate your sincere care for my financial gains through detecting but it was a choice for my son. I'd prefer to be working, Journeyman electricians make more and I do miss the extra $ but were not poor. I don't sell every piece of gold. I'll PM you.

I really think I am just imagining it from the perspective of someone with the worst luck when hunting for jewelry, lol. I have yet to find a SINGLE gold ring in 5 years detecting! I actually found my first silver ring the other day. Let's hope ML gets it right this time or sends you a new machine (they really should as long as it's been) No disrespect man, I wish only the best for you and the family! God Bless you guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atomic, gold is soft, a broken bracelet, a smashed thin ring face down etc etc all sound like Junk. High KT gold and many other odd gold pieces don't all put that sweet mellow semi nickel sound out. You might be hunting behind a successful jewelry Hunter or missing it by 1'.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, back on the 705, I'm buying a new one and will send this one back in and let them play with it. I'll update when it's back.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, back on the 705, I'm buying a new one and will send this one back in and let them play with it. I'll update when it's back.

Good deal! Yes I dig EVERY foil, pulltab even up to zinc with my X-Terra. If it is 6 or above on ID i dig it if the tone is solid.

olds442_hurst

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 705 with various coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh ok now i see your problem! the people at kellyco don't care about there customers you need to send it in to minelab. they most likely didn't even work on it and just sent it back to you, the're known for doing this to the're customers. look around in forums about kellyco and there "service"

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh ok now i see your problem! the people at kellyco don't care about there customers you need to send it in to minelab. they most likely didn't even work on it and just sent it back to you, the're known for doing this to the're customers. look around in forums about kellyco and there "service"
Kellyco has a top notch Minelab service center at their location, I have been in it and I personally know the tecs there.. In fact Minelab in Chicago sends repair work to KELLYCO when they get backed up or their tech is out sick...

Don't bash our sponsors just to bash them.....

Last edited:

davespen

Sep 16, 2009
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030; Etrac w/SEF; Explorer II & SE Pro w/SEF; Excal (NY Gold Sword, I & II) w/WOT, SEF, 10", 8"; Sovereign GT w/SEF; SD-2200
Whites Surf PI DF / PI Pro; BH 300; MXT Pro;
Garrett Dual B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wanted to take the time to respond to this post as hopefully others reading it will learn a bit in the process:

Hello, I put a year of use on this machine and quarters were always 42 with an occasional 44, now its 46 occasional 44. Ive sent it in they replaced the board but it came back set at my settings, Ive also tried different coils. I am currently borrowing a coil as I sent my replacement back and its still doing it.

[COLOR]
Each detector pcb uses board mounted components (resistors, capacitors, etc.) which are manufactured to a tolerance (typically 1%, 5%, 10%). We bench test Minelab detectors daily and see the ‘range’ of readings which are typically 42-46. Your detector passed the Minelab bench test and was returned to you.

1st my coil was replaced.

·

[COLOR]Unfortunately, coils fail. Typical failure is broken, or breaking wire at the strain relief compression gland which results from too much stress on the wire at the ‘bend’.

2nd time they replaced my pcb? Kellyco

·

Your pcb failed and was replaced. Minelab USA/ASC techs do not restore settings to newly installed pcbs. If your ‘settings’ were still in the detector when received, you had the exact settings that are restored after ‘factory reset’ as each detector is reset as part of the post-repair bench test.

3rd, I have sent my coil back.Kellyco, I talked to the tech at Kellyco and he said "because its the gold its not that accurate on coins"

·

The technician said that your gold coil is not the optimal coil for coins (or words to that effect). He did not say that because the coil is a gold coil, it is not accurate on coins. An 18.75kHz DD coil is designed to locate small gold. The 7.5kHz Concentric coil is better suited for relic/coin hunting.

No, its super accurate... anyhow, When I sent my coil back my left swing over a dime 1" under bark was 38, right was 42. this was after the pcb. It will air test fine, its when soil/actually using the machine it acts up. Here is the weirdest part, through all this my Coiltech 15" WOT IN 18.75KH Has kept the correct TID #s. This has been going on for 2-3 months with shipping testing etc. I cant sell the machine I cant do that to someone. The tech asked me to try and Diagnose coil or machine. well the Coiltech worked so I sent my elliptical back then borrowed one and the problems came back. Nickels used to be a solid 12 now bounce from 10-14. Im so frustrated and it appears Im gonna be out over a thousand dollars after I sell used coils, shipping etc. Frustrated isn't the word. Ive been looking into the Garrett AT Gold has anyone made that switch? Their customer service seems better.
·

Your pcb was changed and your detector passed the Minelab bench test. Remember, each detector pcb is build to a tolerance and there can be slight variations (+-5%) in the readings. Relearn the readings for your new pcb. Your detector is working correctly.

I recommend anyone who sends their detector to any manufacturer/repair facility include a detailed description of the problem and include name, address, contact information (phone, email) with the detector when sending it in. We receive many detectors without this information and have no way of contacting the owner to discuss the problem or return their repaired detector.

Additionally, I recommend anyone experiencing follow-on problems with their detector to contact the Repair Center and request the technician contact them to discuss the issue/concern as they are available. Forums posts seldom resolve problems.
Best Regards,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I still don't get the real problem. Do you only dig "42s". What makes you think the ground hasn't changed? The earth's signature signal. The magnetic north changing. So you are thinking MINELAB should change their software to you particular needs? If it finds the targt dig it up. Whats the big deal..
BB

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really think I am just imagining it from the perspective of someone with the worst luck when hunting for jewelry, lol. I have yet to find a SINGLE gold ring in 5 years detecting! I actually found my first silver ring the other day. Let's hope ML gets it right this time or sends you a new machine (they really should as long as it's been) No disrespect man, I wish only the best for you and the family! God Bless you guys.

Me too. And for longer. Doesn't bother me. My first outing with the 705 brought me a toy capgun (heart raced) R/R spike and non gold jewelry. My old model "70 found more stuff than I cared to dig. :) Which is why the 705 is better. Finer tuning is possible. I have my 705 fine tuned to catch maybe 75-80% of signals I am willing to dig. Now just need to get out! Just a matter of time and law of averages. Keep digging that's the key. (I am told) :)
BB

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different motherboards will give slightly different readings, what was 42 on one mb maybe 44 or 46 on another mb...What was always say 42/44 may now be 44/46 on new motherboard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread