Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very long history dealing with electronics. I have racked my old brain trying to figure whether or not there is any advantage (electrically) to Minelabs choice in the plastic/vinyl/fiberglass components in the Go Find. Most detectors use metal all the way to the coil and then use a plastic converter to attach it to the shaft. Would there be any loss to sensitivity due to a detector having a metal shaft near the coil? My trip to Home depot today showed me that everything now is "plastic" in nature, even weed eaters and pole pruners. If those items are tough enough for that kind of task then I think a little dirt fishin should not be a breakage problem. your thoughts?

Even automobiles are becoming more plastic over time. Plastic is synthetic. And synthetics come in many arrays. Most all plumbing pipe are plastic now. Silicone is plastic. Electrical wire casing is plastic. My dentures are acrylic (plastic polymer). Cheap and easy to form, it's everywhere posing as original organics and metals.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I logged a good day with the MLGF60 and ATP on a small lot that has recently had its house torn down. I split the lot and checked one side with the ML and the other side with the ATP. I marked the targets then reversed the search and covered the ML area with the ATP and then covered the ATP area with the ML. Each machine found every one of the others targets and did not find any missed targets. The depth ranged on clad targets from one inch to the length of my TRX. The Garrett gives an audible difference with depth where the ML did not. The ML has a volume control which is a giant plus. The plastic structure was not an issue at all but on the ML the arm cuff needs a bit of a cushion which I intend to fabricate out of some self adhesive carpet squares from Home depot. Entry level? maybe in cost but not in function. Would like to see a coil cover made available and a little weather hood for the brains and battery cover area. Balance and weight is also great. No numerical readout on targets but once I developed a comfortable attitude toward this new machine it did not seem to matter. The four tones told me what I needed to know except I did miss the weak signals on deep targets.

mbeml

Greenie
Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Gattert Ace 250
Fisher F2
Minelab xterra 50
Garrett pro pointer
Ok guys, there's a notch for all of us. Those of you that are trashing the Go-Finds without so much as turning one on are kind of putting the cart before the horse. I've been hunting on and off for close to 50 years and at the rip old age of 77 I don't want to dig holes 18 inches deep anymore. And because I can't get around as much as I used to I don't need to try remember several different settings since the last time I hunted. That being said, my new Go-Find 40 fits the bill, fits neatly out of the way in my car trunk, sets up in less that 30 seconds, light weight, turn on and go. So those of you between six and sixty really need to think out of your box once in a while. As for me GO-FIND.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, there's a notch for all of us. Those of you that are trashing the Go-Finds without so much as turning one on are kind of putting the cart before the horse. I've been hunting on and off for close to 50 years and at the rip old age of 77 I don't want to dig holes 18 inches deep anymore. And because I can't get around as much as I used to I don't need to try remember several different settings since the last time I hunted. That being said, my new Go-Find 40 fits the bill, fits neatly out of the way in my car trunk, sets up in less that 30 seconds, light weight, turn on and go. So those of you between six and sixty really need to think out of your box once in a while. As for me GO-FIND.

What kind of depth are you getting ? i would like to see at-least 8" on a quarter I'm 65 and like you I don't want to invest in a backhoe to dig a plug

mbeml

Greenie
Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Gattert Ace 250
Fisher F2
Minelab xterra 50
Garrett pro pointer
I've only had it a few days and it hasn't stop raining here. On a bench test with coins, pop top, nail and gold ring and with the sensitive up it all rang 8-9 inches. Sensitive down around 4-5 inches. That's enough for this old man if the same is true on a real dig.

mbeml

Greenie
Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Detector(s) used
Gattert Ace 250
Fisher F2
Minelab xterra 50
Garrett pro pointer
On a side note, I'm 5'10" tall and have to extend all the way out to have the proper length, not how that would work out for a tall person.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a side note, I'm 5'10" tall and have to extend all the way out to have the proper length, not how that would work out for a tall person.

OK. A family detector with a dad 6' or less. At 6'3" I'm sure I couldn't use it...........comfortably.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok guys, there's a notch for all of us. Those of you that are trashing the Go-Finds without so much as turning one on are kind of putting the cart before the horse. I've been hunting on and off for close to 50 years and at the rip old age of 77 I don't want to dig holes 18 inches deep anymore. And because I can't get around as much as I used to I don't need to try remember several different settings since the last time I hunted. That being said, my new Go-Find 40 fits the bill, fits neatly out of the way in my car trunk, sets up in less that 30 seconds, light weight, turn on and go. .
I have been at this about as long as you ...And that is why for the most part i have used the Sovereign ... For with the Sovereign all i really did was turn it on and go hunt ..I never did like to fool around with all the settings on detectors for to me i could find as much with the Sovereign and maybe more than with all those detectors you had to keep setting up different all the time ... To me that is a waste of time ... For the most part all my detectors were just turn on and hunt or turn on and ground balance and hunt ... I did get a used DFX from Tnet here but it was a pain in the rear with all the settings it had so i sold it..When i go out to hunt all i want to do is hunt not play around with setting's........... I think i have found more than most with the detectors i used ...

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for this info. I'm 6'2" so I'll be looking at something else !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a company which sells a gold detector for $10k, another pair for $4-5k and a leaky submersable one for $2.5k

now they want to build shareholder value with cute $2-400 detectors through mass markets already saturated with competitors?

not likely.

sorry, but compared to, for example, First Texas' steady barrage of more bang for the buck detectors - well - in the immortal words of Bob Dylan - "Time will tell - who has fell - and who'se been left behind".

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, they are designed as entry level detectors and will fill that notch well. They are selling well....

"GO-FIND Adventure Every Day!

Minelab is thrilled to announce our new GO-FIND entry level detector series. These easy-to-use detectors have been created especially for newcomers to take up metal detecting, with a great range of features at very affordable prices. GO-FIND detectors require no assembly, collapse to a small size for transport, and are very lightweight. The GO-FIND 40 and 60 have Treasure View LED indicators to show possible trash & possible treasure finds, and also Bluetooth integration to work with Minelab’s GO-FIND apps that have Coin ID and Google Maps capability. Pack a GO-FIND for your next outdoor adventure. It’s awesome fun for the whole family!

“The GO-FIND series will allow new detectorists to easily pick up the popular hobby without the large investment and numerous advanced features of our professional detectors, but also without sacrificing quality,” said Gary Schafer, General Manager of Worldwide Consumer Markets for Minelab Electronics. “These high quality, durable and sleek detectors far surpass any other low-price detector on the market.”

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/knowledge-base/news?article=264803

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a company which sells a gold detector for $10k, another pair for $4-5k and a leaky submersable one for $2.5k

now they want to build shareholder value with cute $2-400 detectors through mass markets already saturated with competitors?

not likely.

sorry, but compared to, for example, First Texas' steady barrage of more bang for the buck detectors - well - in the immortal words of Bob Dylan - "Time will tell - who has fell - and who'se been left behind".

Well put. We shall see.

RainbowChaser

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Minelab Go-Find 60, Garrett ProPointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really, really wanted a collapsible metal detector to take with me on vacation, so I was thrilled when the Minelab Go-Find machines were advertised. I was one of the first to pre-order and selected the most expensive of the three models.

I took it to the beach the day after I received it (I had to buy batteries), and found the usual pull tabs, bottle caps, pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. I was disappointed, however, because it seemed slow to respond when I would hear a beep and try to rescan the area. I was happy the cable on the ear buds was long enough that I could set the machine down and dig, but they kept falling out of my ears.

I must be spoiled from using a Fisher F4 with earphones since I started metal detecting a couple of years ago. It is much faster.

I tried to shake the sand off before folding it up, but cringed as I felt and heard sand in the mechanism. I had to have my husband help me pull back out the top section. I'll have to be super careful in the future or risk having it get permanently stuck.

It's fine as a "toy" to take on vacation, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner to learn on. I'm going back to my trusty F4 (which cost only $90 more than the Go-Find 60).

RainbowChaser

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but you get a t-shirt from that Florida company...

Even though I have my AARP card, I really don't want to wear a shirt saying "I am 60"

Freeshirt-gofind-mp.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really, really wanted a collapsible metal detector to take with me on vacation, so I was thrilled when the Minelab Go-Find machines were advertised. I was one of the first to pre-order and selected the most expensive of the three models.

I took it to the beach the day after I received it (I had to buy batteries), and found the usual pull tabs, bottle caps, pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. I was disappointed, however, because it seemed slow to respond when I would hear a beep and try to rescan the area. I was happy the cable on the ear buds was long enough that I could set the machine down and dig, but they kept falling out of my ears.

I must be spoiled from using a Fisher F4 with earphones since I started metal detecting a couple of years ago. It is much faster.

I tried to shake the sand off before folding it up, but cringed as I felt and heard sand in the mechanism. I had to have my husband help me pull back out the top section. I'll have to be super careful in the future or risk having it get permanently stuck.

It's fine as a "toy" to take on vacation, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner to learn on. I'm going back to my trusty F4 (which cost only $90 more than the Go-Find 60).
You never want to lay down any detector in the sand when it has a collapsible shaft like the Go-Find, it is the same with the Safari and ETrac....

I had a Safari and have a ETrac, used both at beach, I never played then in the wet or dry sand. Use a long handle scoop or a harness so it hangs by your side off ground when you stoop down..

Last edited:

RainbowChaser

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never want to lay down any detector in the sand when it has a collapsible shaft like the Go-Find, it is the same with the Safari and ETrac....

I had a Safari and have a ETrac, used both at beach, I never played then in the wet or dry sand. Use a long handle scoop or a harness so it hangs by your side off ground when you stoop down..

Thanks very, very much for the info. I'm still learning and appreciate your advice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very, very much for the info. I'm still learning and appreciate your advice.
You can probably carefully wash the sand out, just be careful you don't let water get in the controls.. Hang it controls up and let it dry, that should get most sand out of shaft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions