Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My latest detector is an X-Terra 705-Gold Pack
My older ML is fine but I needed a new one. WE ALL need a new detector. :)
Couple things some of us with newer equipment.. they are a bugger to fine tune.
Pal of mine bought an Explorer as his first detector. Just too sophisticated for a new user. Very steep learning curve for new users. He sold a year later. Went gold panning instead.

White's has so many users. I would try to remember what their TIDs were so I could follow. Nope.. Totally different number system.
So I fiddled on my own and had no idea where I was. Plus I read the manual. Thought I understood but for me it wasn't that user friendly. What I needed was How To set it up for Jewelry for example.

Could never sort out trash signals, so I did what many new users do. Ignore most signals as I was CERTAIN they pull tabs. Which fellow hunters dug and found good stuff. HMm probably a lesson there.

The best solution, for me is YOU.TUBE. Search the model detector YOU have and get real user videos. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Minelad+705

Follow what you need to get started.
DO air or ground testing of targets. WRITE them down. KEEP it in your pocket.
Follow and watch guys who know how to detect. How they sweep, how they isolate or ignore targets. When they dig, HOW they dig and fill-up-your-holes always.
Found a headphone adaptor that allows me or others to share my sounds. SO important. What does a Gold Ring sound like? Or gold nugget or solver or lead fishing weights?

Watch them move their coils around. Front and side. Tilted sometimes? Ask them why? Many target are not horizontal. Or buried alongside some other item.

Why do they hunt a 20 foot circle around park trees? Why Curbs? Some club guys would agree to take me with them. The guys that hunt all-the-time. Every day. Usually to a newer site. not their "special" places. Respect their privacy. No one will invite you back if you are a poacher. ASK if you are allowed back and if you can take A BUDDY?

Best adviece: DIG EVERY SIGNAL ~ Worst advice DIG EVERY SIGNAL :)
My advice is search for what you are looking for. Parks will have coins. Sometimes Rings.
Tune you detector till you regularly find coins or SOMETHING. Keep at it. Can you identify them by sound? Cooler.. YOU are an expert coinshooter for that target! Once you are successful it builds confidence. Share it. W
Document it. Keep notes about what setting worked best. :)
BB

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to minelab techs, air and ground testing does NOT work, it has to be in the ground several months to years. How can you notch a pull tab that reads 14 on gerrys xterra and 12,14,18,10,20 on my machine? Or a dime 1" in bark, left swing 38, right 42? How about a copper penny bouncing from 34,42,36,44,38 as you swing dame speed left to right. You are right about whites machines and I'll quote you "whites has many users" I think you meant "numbers?

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I'm no way saying the Xterra 705 is NOT a jewelry master, I found 28 rings, a gold grille, necklaces, bracelets many many gold items in 11 months, others have passed because their machines call it foil or pull tabs, the Xterra combined with everyday digging has saved my butt with extra cash, it just needs to work right and its back to Gold Gold Gold!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

IMHO, I believe in many situations you should dig everything, especially in trashy areas (yes, you will dig lots of trash). What I have found in these areas most people discriminate out pull-tabs, pop-tabs…etc. or don’t hunt the area; but Gold lives in this “region”. So by digging more in these areas, I find many coins (silver and clad) and jewelry (silver and gold) missed by others. The key is to slow way down (Minelab) and set up the machine (White’s) correctly. Using the low and slow method in these situations does pay off at the end of the day.

Just some of my thoughts,

Regards,

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't leave a park until it's empty I start with trash and work small squares after the trash is gone I start with high conductors and work down to clasp sized targets. I pull it all lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread