Metal Detecting

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
You can leave the battery and store it with confidance. You just' need to clean the connectors on both sides and put some WD40 on them. Even if it looks like humide after'spray, leave it it's a good protection. Just take care to not spray any on your o ring.

Lipo don't have issues with auto discharge, so no need to worry to about it.

Don't forget to put some silicon grease (the one we use for scuba diving) on your o ring to prevent them from drying.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I alway remove the battery,after I clean and dry the detector after any hunt, so that I am sure that there is no leakage which could damage the detector / discharge the battery.

After use, I charge the battery, and store it in a zip locked plastic bag, till I am ready to hunt.
I also put an open plastic bag, over the CTX 3030 open contol housing, leaving the plastic bag loose at the bottom so that moisture will not build up to protect the detector from dirt and debrie.

When I am ready to hunt I use a short blast of air on the seal as an extra precaution, if dust /a small grain of sand/dust got in. As this usually pops the seal out, it provides an opportuning to carefully inspect the seal before use and be sure it re seals properly.
I would not use silicon grease or anything which sand could stick to.

When, needed, simply will replace the seal when you need to.
Pressure should be taken off of the seal, when the detector is not being used to prevent the
seal from deforming or sticking after a long period of time..

Instead of using a wide rubber band to secure the clamps (so that they will not open accidently) I prefer to use blue masking tape used by paintes as it is less sticky, to wrap around the clamps securing it and from sand getting in at the beach. If I am detecting unprotected waters, I will use electrical tape for extra protection lwrapped over the blue tape. I avoid using electical tape directly over the clamps as it could leave a sticky residue if it gets warm during the heat of the day.

Even with all of the above precautions I restrict usage of the CTX 3030 to protected waters and avoid submerging the digital display and control housing. I use an Excalibur, which has been hardened for diving, for deeper waters.

How do store your CTX, especially during the winter when hunts are few and far between. Do you keep your battery on the detector or remove it? The reason I'm asking is because I want to keep as much dirt and debris from getting in there but I heard keeping the battery in is no good. Thanks Mike

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are talking about the rechargeable battery, leave it on. The old suggestions to remove batteries before storage is referring to lead-acid batteries which can leak and cause damage.

Silverfishin

Greenie
Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remove chargable battery and put in the empty akaline battery shell.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's a great idea! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Silver

By removing the rechargeable battery, you dry the oring.

Leave it in place, no need at all to remove it.

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do store your CTX, especially during the winter when hunts are few and far between. Do you keep your battery on the detector or remove it? The reason I'm asking is because I want to keep as much dirt and debris from getting in there but I heard keeping the battery in is no good. Thanks Mike

I put on the empty alkaline shell to prevent any damage.
I charge the Lithium battery and keep it in a plastic bag in a fridge.
All batteries work on a chemical reaction....by storing them in a cooler environment you will extend their life.
This actually is true for all batteries....which I also store in my spare fridge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions