3rd Trip out with the etrac

Lbcwanabe

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple of hours after work today so I headed out to the local park. To the best of my knowledge it was established back in the early 1900's. After watching several videos on digging silver with the etrac i decided to try my luck with a new approach: Swing Slow and stutter step. My first target was a very old looking our lady victory medal made of aluminum... it was pretty toasted and buried deep. On my second target out pops a 1935 Merc. I was so happy. I found 5 wheaties and some clad including a 1970 peru 1/2 cent buried next to a iron fence fragment. I think i'm getting the hang of things. I worked this same ground with my V3i and didn't find any silver. Not hating b/c i loved that V3i and miss the blue spectrum on it.

Besides swinging slow and taking small steps to cover ground thoroughly, does anyone have any pointers for a noob?

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Slow works for me. I've always discovered more and clearer targets when I slow down...now, if I can just get over thinking I'm never going to get to the gold/silver on the horizion. :occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Investigate every high-tone chirp. Swing back and forth over the area to see if it repeats. If it's an occasional beep, pass it by. If it's repeatable on each pass then dig it. The deeper the target, the more it skews the FE numbers. The response may bounce from the 11/12 line down to the 20s as the target gets near the max detectable depth. Most silver will have CO numbers from 44 to 47, but angled or thin dimes can read down to 40.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple of hours after work today so I headed out to the local park. To the best of my knowledge it was established back in the early 1900's. After watching several videos on digging silver with the etrac i decided to try my luck with a new approach: Swing Slow and stutter step. My first target was a very old looking our lady victory medal made of aluminum... it was pretty toasted and buried deep. On my second target out pops a 1935 Merc. I was so happy. I found 5 wheaties and some clad including a 1970 peru 1/2 cent buried next to a iron fence fragment. I think i'm getting the hang of things. I worked this same ground with my V3i and didn't find any silver. Not hating b/c i loved that V3i and miss the blue spectrum on it.

Besides swinging slow and taking small steps to cover ground thoroughly, does anyone have any pointers for a noob?
What settings are you using? If it's your typical junky park, I like to use the two tone ferrous setting with an open screen to see what might be hiding among the iron trash. Use a small coil if you have one. Go SLOW....

OP
OP
L

Lbcwanabe

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have mostly been using the stock coin an jewelry program. sometimes if i get in an area with a lot of litter i turn on the high trash program. this is mostly around BBQ areas @ the local parks. Lots of foil or can slaw. I've been out a couple times since the OP and I've found many more good items. All by digging deep high tones. 2 of my 4 silver coins have been within 12" of another object. It has made numbers a little hard to judge, but is awesome none the less

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few silvers I found with my Etrac since I got it last May. I'll tell
you it was the best decision I ever made purchasing it....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few silvers I found with my Etrac since I got it last May. I'll tell
you it was the best decision I ever made purchasing it....

Non-users keep calling it "hype" because they just refuse to believe how good it is at finding silver!

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non-users keep calling it "hype" because they just refuse to believe how good it is at finding silver!
Let them keep thinking it! More silver for us....I can honestly say I have never had this much silver found in a short time
with a metal detector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread