Just Upgraded to the 705, from a 250!

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
I just received my 705 in the mail yesterday. I upgraded from an Ace250. The Ace is a VERY respectable machine. I learned how to use it very effectively in all metal mode, and found silver from as old as 1842 (and living in a state that has only been officially occupied since 1847, that's a find!). However, I kept seeing my limitations with it. Discrimination, depth, and a host of other things kept me wanting to upgrading. So I started doing research and came down to the ATPRO, WhitesMXT, and the 705. The flexibility and features of the 705 beat out the competition on paper.

So here we go: I took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday in my yard. I had hit my yard over a dozen times with my ACE250, digging almost everything that even hinted at a non-ferrous object. However, on my FIRST time out with my new 705, I pulled 2 wheaties, 1 clad nickle, and 2 zlincons. One of the wheaties was litterally under a few nails, but the 705 gave me whimpers that it was there, and sure enough! I honestly can't wait to get to know this machine a little more, I have read Randy's book over and over, and still feel like I have no idea what I am doing. All I can say is that I can see why everyone speaks so highly of this detector!

I am going to hit up a mid 1800's winery, brothel, and hotel that I have hit in the past and see if I can pull anything out of there this week. All I can say, is that I am excited!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!
You'll find that it beats out the competition in the field as well as on paper.
icon_thumright.gif

The best advice I can give at this point, is to go slow, and after each hunt stick your nose back into Randy's book. The more time you spend in the field, the more sense you'll make of what you read.

GL & HH!

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to make my first purchase and your 3 candidates are pretty much what I'm thinking of now (along with some other models).

I initially wanted the ACE 250 but talked myself out of that one after reading some more critical reviews about its ding-dong sound and other things which could be better. Then I sort of convinced myself that spending 3x as much would be better for me :)

Update us once the honeymoon period is over :)

OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
I found the Ace250 to be great, the noise isn't great, but it definitely isn't bad! I really enjoyed it and didn't regret the purchase at all. If there are coins down there, and you are willing to take the time, you will find them with the Ace. However, spending just a little more can kick you up into some really nice detectors! One of my close friends has a ATP, and it was great. I just decided that the flexibility of the 705, and the quality of the integration of the other features just beat the ATP out.

Going back to the Ace250: if you buy it and upgrade later, its great because of how EASY it is to use. Sure, you can put it in all metal and it forces you to slow down and really listen. But you can really give it to anyone, put it in coin mode, and off they go!

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the Ace250 to be great, the noise isn't great, but it definitely isn't bad! I really enjoyed it and didn't regret the purchase at all. If there are coins down there, and you are willing to take the time, you will find them with the Ace. However, spending just a little more can kick you up into some really nice detectors! One of my close friends has a ATP, and it was great. I just decided that the flexibility of the 705, and the quality of the integration of the other features just beat the ATP out.

Yes they seem to be neck-and neck. To be honest I have Gear Lust for them both (and others!). Right now I have no reference point of what I like or don't like, or what could be better for this-or-that. I will most likely get a second detector after I buy my first, just to satisfy my curiosity about what else is on the market and seek the Perfect One for this and the Perfect One for that.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received my 705 in the mail yesterday. I upgraded from an Ace250. The Ace is a VERY respectable machine. I learned how to use it very effectively in all metal mode, and found silver from as old as 1842 (and living in a state that has only been officially occupied since 1847, that's a find!). However, I kept seeing my limitations with it. Discrimination, depth, and a host of other things kept me wanting to upgrading. So I started doing research and came down to the ATPRO, WhitesMXT, and the 705. The flexibility and features of the 705 beat out the competition on paper.

So here we go: I took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday in my yard. I had hit my yard over a dozen times with my ACE250, digging almost everything that even hinted at a non-ferrous object. However, on my FIRST time out with my new 705, I pulled 2 wheaties, 1 clad nickle, and 2 zlincons. One of the wheaties was litterally under a few nails, but the 705 gave me whimpers that it was there, and sure enough! I honestly can't wait to get to know this machine a little more, I have read Randy's book over and over, and still feel like I have no idea what I am doing. All I can say is that I can see why everyone speaks so highly of this detector!

I am going to hit up a mid 1800's winery, brothel, and hotel that I have hit in the past and see if I can pull anything out of there this week. All I can say, is that I am excited!

Congrats on the Minelab X-Terra 705 and the wheaties! Good luck on the 1800's spots!

OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
After using it for a few weeks here are my impressions:

-being able to adjust for EM interference has allowed me to hunt in spots I would have have been able to do previously. Found my first Barber quarter right under a powerline!

-I have found pennies 6+ inches deep with no problem, the ace would have struggled to ID that deep (usually gets a little squirrley down deeper).

-It is so accurate, that I often never even use the pinpoint feature!

-I have taken it out 3-4 times a week, and the battery JUST barely dropped 1 bar.

-auto-GB is a godsend! Just set it up, and go.

-the TID (although I would never recommend going by a TID), I have found to be extremely accurate.

-Have had the chance to use a friends ATP, and I would say that the XT705 is just more stable. Although I know coils make a lot of difference, it seems to pick things up a bit better.

-it may be in my head, but I also swear that I don't lose depth when running with a discrim on. I rarely do, but it still seems to grab deep targets with no problem.

-tone options are amazing. I can detect completely by ear with 99, and when I get tired of R2-D2 screaming at me I can switch to something more simple to give myself a rest.

Anyone else have similar opinions? Alternate views? I am interested to hear!

Edit
on the old site, I found a 1842 seated dime! Crazy enough, I haven't found anything else yet. What is crazier is that the pioneers here in Utah have only been in this valley since 1847, so this will most likely be my oldest find here!

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you are adjusting to your new X-Terra quickly - thanks for sharing your experiences! The X-Terra series packs quite the bang for the buck!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a friend who had a 705 that I sold him and he gave me and my CTX a hard run on many occasions. Usually, I can out detect most people. Only other Minelab machine I would grab besides the CTX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions