pedrocarlos

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o.png

61XR7LUaWbL._SL1200_.jpg

71kwJWzCnGL._SL1200_.jpg

one thing I didn't like was the terrible iron discrimination. I was constantly digging up tons of nails and rusty chunks of old iron. I did a bit of research, read some forums, and one thing that was said again and again about this 305/505 was the excellent iron discrimination. I decided to sell my 250 and go for the 305 (at about twice the 250's price). After one day of using it I was incredibly happy I did, and have only been increasingly satisfied since.

The iron discrimination is as advertised, I can count on one hand the pieces of iron junk I have dug. The VDI display is awesome to have as well, I love it that as I learn it I can tell with a good degree of accuracy what I am about to get. You still of course will dig bottle caps and pull tabs, but that is true with any detector. The best thing about it is that you can get a different coil and have in effect a brand new detector. Most detectors and the add on coils (in the budget price range) operate on one frequency. This one can use multiple coils with frequencies for different types of targets.

The main difference between this and the 505 (and the reason I decided to go with the 305) is that the 505 can use the 3.5khz coil where the 305 cannot. If you are a serious coin shooter looking for silver coins and want a high quality "budget" detector, then the 505 is for you. Keep in mind that the 3.5khz coil will cost an additional $180 or so. That said, the 305 and 505 are both equally capable out of the box and are both excellent machines

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I switched from a Vaquero to the X-Terra 505 & while I still dug some trash, the amount of trash went way down using the X-Terra. Great machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread