Etrac upper shaft camlock question

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone having issues with the upper shaft camlock? After a couple hrs of swinging, mine tends to loose its grip allowing the upper, lower shaft and coil to come loose. I usually notice a wobble before the unit actually comes apart. Anyone have an 'easy', i.e., inexpensive fix?

Thanks in advance and HH. FYI, last hunt produced a nice, man's sterling ring, some nice brass and the usual clad. :icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have it assembled correctly? The latches face downward. If you have the lower latch facing up, it will wiggle loose at the upper latch.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without looking at it, I think it kinda works like the Deus locks.

I have a lower shaft to my Deus' 13" coil that has the tendency to fit a little loose and work back up into the middle shaft while I am hunting. I took a strip of rubber like a bicycle inner tube and drape it over the lower shaft and it gets sandwiched between the cam and the lower shaft when I lock it down. The strip is about 6 inches long and the width of a pencil so I won't loose it when I unlock it to stow. If you do it with the Etrac I realize you will only need a very tiny piece. Might try a single wrap or two with electrical tape as well.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
The cam lever pushes against a red rubber piece with a metal plate glued into it. Try cutting a strip from a soda can the width of the cam lever and about 2" long.
Open you cam lock and insert the shim strip between the lever and metal plate. Then close the cam lock. If this is thick enough to stop it from slipping cut a small piece of the strip and glue it onto the top of the plate. If it still works loose try a thicker shim strip like flashing material.

I removed the metal plate from my red rubber part and replaced it with a thicker one. No trouble since them.

My two cents worth.

Jeff

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
cudamark
Thanks. You're right! I had it upside down. Your help is appreciated. HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions