Clad, Wheaties, & Shallow Silver: Not Finding Deep Silver with XT705!

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
I am wondering if I am just unlucky, inexperienced, or a little of both. I have had my Xterra for a while now, and have been out a lot with it. I seem to find a ton of wheaties at houses, many have been over 6 inches deep. They have a distinct noise, repeatable tone, and the TID (which I don't really rely on) will jump around in the range you would expect it to on the deeper ones. I have found a few silver: rosies, washingtons, and most recently a barber quarter. All of these have been under 4 inches though. I have never dug a deep silver yet, and I am SURE I am walking over them. Yesterday I went to a house from 1870, and although there had been quite a bit of landscaping over the years, and really trashy, I still found 7 Wheaties. All were deep, no silver. Are there any videos of people finding deep silver with the XT705? What should I be listening/looking for? I know this thing can grab down deep! I just need to know what to listen/look for.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't a new hobby, and over the last forty years a lot of places were cherry picked for silver, which is why you'll often find deep copper but little silver. It's also why you tend to find smaller silver rather than larger. That big stuff was easy to harvest, while ignoring smaller pieces and copper.
Unless you know who has lived there for the last 50yrs, and unless they can be positive that nobody has hunted it, you might be hunting in the wake of someone that knew their machine 30+yrs ago. And until you find some, you can't be positive that you're walking over them.

The 705 has proportional volume, so a distant target will sound basically the same as a shallow one, just not as loud. If it's a clean high tone and it's repeatable...dig it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
That's good to know, I was getting concerned that maybe I was missing something on the detector! The last few houses i have hit have been on major roads, so that definitely fits the picture.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Longhair, anything that is higher than iron and it repeatable from two directions at around 90 degrees, dig. I have surprised myself many times digging even low tones because they do this. Sometimes even dig the low tones, especially if they "don't seem right". I dug a gold ring next to iron by doing this. I could just hear something odd with the iron buzz.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coil are you using to hunt coins? If you don't have them already, I'd suggest picking up a 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil or a 6" Coiltek 3 kHz "Digger"... they seem to be the best coils for the XTerra series if you are coin shooting.... The HF coils don't hit the deeper coins as well as these two.

OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
That's good to know! I have been looking at that 10.5 DD and wondering if that would make much of a difference. I frequently am running into places where soil mineralization is pretty severe, so in that regard I know it would help.

OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
As a continuation of this thread: Location seemed to be my problem. I started looking outside the box at places to hunt. Utah has been hit pretty hard, so you have to. Since my new approach to finding spots I have been finding silver on almost every hunt. If anyone is new to the 705, always remember to go slow, and adjust your sensitivity to your environment. I am picking up the 10.5' 7.5khz DD soon, and will update ya'll with my impressions.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear things are working out for you. Location is the key to success, besides knowing your instruments strong and weak points...

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I gree with all the comments made here, and wil add that I recommend all metal or modifying one of the discrim programs to reject only +48 and maybe also
-8. You might miss coin signals in the cutoff of the iron discrim. Also watch your sweep speed.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This isn't a new hobby, and over the last forty years a lot of places were cherry picked for silver, which is why you'll often find deep copper but little silver. It's also why you tend to find smaller silver rather than larger. That big stuff was easy to harvest, while ignoring smaller pieces and copper.
Unless you know who has lived there for the last 50yrs, and unless they can be positive that nobody has hunted it, you might be hunting in the wake of someone that knew their machine 30+yrs ago. And until you find some, you can't be positive that you're walking over them.

The 705 has proportional volume, so a distant target will sound basically the same as a shallow one, just not as loud. If it's a clean high tone and it's repeatable...dig it.

Good post as well as location... location... location. If your hitting the clad the silver will be found as well if it is there.

OP
OP
Z

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to a house that I hit up with my Ace 250, and went over it with the Xterra. I opened up one of disrcim patterns to all metal. I was able to pull out a handful of deeper wheatbacks, and 2 silvers out of just one of the houses! Even just yesterday, I asked at a house and the lady said it had already been hit by 3 detectorists since she had been there. The first signal I dug was a '42 merc! I really think the 10.5 7.5Khz DD, taking things a little slower, and not being afraid to dig those slightly 'iffy' signals has really helped!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread