New to the E-Trac * Silver & Deep Coins *

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a very good detector, it will take a while to learn it of course, still the silver has to be there before you can find it !! Good Luck on your hunts :headbang:

JPrice

Jan 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine man. I love mine and it loves to find those 10" dimes on their side. Dig all the 12:25+ those are usually something good. 50 is usually iron. I usually use two tone ferrous for really old trashy iron sites. Dig everything that makes a repeatable high pitch and you won't be disappointed. I use Multi Conductive for yards and parks and stuff when I'm coin shooting. Look up a guy on Youtube named Cutaplug. Most instructive Etrac videos I've ever found.

Good luck and HH.

Oh ya, swing slowly with the trac, it has to think a lot.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great machine man. I love mine and it loves to find those 10" dimes on their side. Dig all the 12:25+ those are usually something good. 50 is usually iron. I usually use two tone ferrous for really old trashy iron sites. Dig everything that makes a repeatable high pitch and you won't be disappointed. I use Multi Conductive for yards and parks and stuff when I'm coin shooting. Look up a guy on Youtube named Cutaplug. Most instructive Etrac videos I've ever found.

Good luck and HH.

Oh ya, swing slowly with the trac, it has to think a lot.

Thanks JPrice... Thanks for the tips... Cant wait to learn this new machine...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you take the time to learn what that E-Trac is telling you, you will never regret your purchase. Yeah it has VDI, but I listen to the sounds before I ever look at the FE/CO numbers. Do that during your learning curve, otherwise it will frustrate you. It is a difficult machine to learn, but then when the fog clears you'll realize it wasn't that difficult after all. It didn't frustrate you, you frustrated yourself kind of thing.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you take the time to learn what that E-Trac is telling you, you will never regret your purchase. Yeah it has VDI, but I listen to the sounds before I ever look at the FE/CO numbers. Do that during your learning curve, otherwise it will frustrate you. It is a difficult machine to learn, but then when the fog clears you'll realize it wasn't that difficult after all. It didn't frustrate you, you frustrated yourself kind of thing.

Thanks DeepseekerADS... I started in the late 70's detecting and go mostly by sound so this wont be a problem... I am excited to learn this machine....
Gary from Oregon...

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just made the switch from an AT Pro to the E Trac this season and am having my best silver count ever (62 so far this year). Just got back from a 5 silver hunt today, 3 quarters, 2 dimes. I wish I would have made the switch sooner.
Hit me up with any questions.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just made the switch from an AT Pro to the E Trac this season and am having my best silver count ever (62 so far this year). Just got back from a 5 silver hunt today, 3 quarters, 2 dimes. I wish I would have made the switch sooner.
Hit me up with any questions.

Thanks choppadude... Its maiden voyage will be this Saturday morning... I cant wait... I will hit you up with any ? I might have... Thanks
Gary from Oregon...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be too disappointed if you don't have success right out of the box. You'll probably need to learn to speak Minelab first. It might take several outings before you become fluent in it. I'd suggest going to a sandy swimming beach or at least a site you know well as a starting point. Lots of easyrecoveries will shorten the learning curve.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be too disappointed if you don't have success right out of the box. You'll probably need to learn to speak Minelab first. It might take several outings before you become fluent in it. I'd suggest going to a sandy swimming beach or at least a site you know well as a starting point. Lots of easyrecoveries will shorten the learning curve.

Thanks cudamark -
I am going to start at a site I have been to at least 150 times. Its a sports field we took over 100 silver dimes off of in the late 70's... Great advice...Thanks

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DeepseekerADS... I started in the late 70's detecting and go mostly by sound so this wont be a problem... I am excited to learn this machine....
Gary from Oregon...

As tone is always important the wonderful thing about the minelabs is the fact that they are very good at target ID via VDI compared to most machines, Even Deep!!. This is something very valuable to me and a HUGE time saver in most of the areas I hunt. Bottle caps, Screw caps. You will dig way less with a little time in with the etrac. Huge time saver and blister saver from digging screw caps..lol The info you get with the Etrac and CTX gives you a much better idea of what you are looking at. Of course you could always miss something, So I dig about every 10th corona cap just to make sure my thoughts are correct. Another thing for me was the Etrac and ctx were a couple of the easist machines to get used to . I know everyone is different but it came very natural to me..

For me the Etrac and CTX are the only 2 machines that I always feel like I am going to find stuff that all the other detectors missed with other machines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As tone is always important the wonderful thing about the minelabs is the fact that they are very good at target ID via VDI compared to most machines, Even Deep!!. This is something very valuable to me and a HUGE time saver in most of the areas I hunt. Bottle caps, Screw caps. You will dig way less with a little time in with the etrac. Huge time saver and blister saver from digging screw caps..lol The info you get with the Etrac and CTX gives you a much better idea of what you are looking at. Of course you could always miss something, So I dig about every 10th corona cap just to make sure my thoughts are correct. Another thing for me was the Etrac and ctx were a couple of the easist machines to get used to . I know everyone is different but it came very natural to me..

For me the Etrac and CTX are the only 2 machines that I always feel like I am going to find stuff that all the other detectors missed with other machines.

Thanks JackalopeZL1 - - It came today and I just got back from a 45 minute hunt. I found 9 coins (none too old) but all were at least 4-5 inches in the ground and (2) nickels at approx 5"... Its hard to explain but the sound quality is so good...

Tomorrow I start at 5:30 am at the old school to put it through its paces...

e7.jpg e10.jpg e11.jpg

Gary from Oregon

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice :)

Funny thing is I just got my second etrac from big boys thursday. And like you taking it out for the first time I will be tomorrow morning early as well

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, don't count on the "magic number 12".
Silver dimes have been found at 15/55? Flat too...
The sweat high tone is what you will eventually appreciate.
GL
Peace ✌

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet.. that is why we open up our desrcim. So you don't miss the deep stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone... I am thinking about setting FE to 27+ and leaving the rest wide open :) I want to hear it all...

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I have done for the most part except I only go as high as 21 22 on the fe..

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what I have done for the most part except I only go as high as 21 22 on the fe..

Thanks JackalopeZL1... I may try that... I am going out in the morning with the E-Trac and have had it since last Friday... :)

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, It is so much fun when you get that faint high pitched signal. Then you dig to what seems like china to pull a nice silver out of the hole :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread