Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Just received a CTX3030 that I purchased from another TNet member. While I have mastered the Safari, this is definitely a lot more machine. In the past, I ran my Safari with great success with -10 to -6 discrim, in all metal, with full tones (iron grunt). I have heard about a "Gone Hunting" program online, but can't seem to track down the settings. Any advice on how to configure this machine for relic hunting is greatly appreciated!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, let me say that I am not a relic hunter. Secondly, the GH program isn't any thing special and he'll probably tell you that himself. Just a jumping off place for programming in your own program for your own sites

That said, leaving the screen wide open with 0 discrimination would seem to be the way to go. Or maybe the p2 screen where only the bottom line is discriminated out. If youre hunting for steel objects, you don't want to discriminate any out, right?
Other:
- low trash since your sites aren't parks and such
- pinpoint = sizing
- I prefer 50 conductive and I bet other Safari users will too. many use the configurable bins to set their tones tho.
- target trace and pinpoint trace = ON. this is The Best feature about the CTX imo.
- I like max gain, but preferences vary. and I guess that's the entire point of the CTX; preferences and sites vary and you need to play around with everything to come up with what works best for You and Your sites.

And I know you know this because you have a Safari, but sounds are everything. As mesmerizing as TT is, listen first then consult the screen. Good Luck!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of the box, P1 is factory setup for some discrimination pattern and most folks do the same when programming their own patterns in. P2 blocks out the very bottom iron line only. This is mostly to easily check a signal that you aren't sure about with an undiscriminated screen. I've not heard of anyone doing it, but theres no reason you couldn't set up any pattern you want in either P1 or P2. Sometimes you just want to cover a patch of ground with no discrimination and its sooooo convenient to have a button dedicated to doing just that.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you run open screen, every rusty nail sounds like sweet, sweet, silver. It's aggravating.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you run open screen, every rusty nail sounds like sweet, sweet, silver. It's aggravating.

Thats not true at all!!
How did you come to that conclusion?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

On an EXTREMELY rare occasion, I have heard a very rusty halo almost give a good tone on a Safari.
But never on a CTX.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing as a Safari owner is to really find out how much we miss compared to a 3030. Is there anyway you can detect the exact same spots you did with your Safari? I don't mean same park different area but the same area and tell us how many old coins you find that were missed the first time? I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to find out...... Thanks in advance if you do this......

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground coin is key on CTX for max depth.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing as a Safari owner is to really find out how much we miss compared to a 3030. Is there anyway you can detect the exact same spots you did with your Safari? I don't mean same park different area but the same area and tell us how many old coins you find that were missed the first time? I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to find out...... Thanks in advance if you do this......

Hey guys- first round out with the CTX...the exact same dirt as the Safari. Depth is the real advantage with the CTX, in the past most targets were dug around 6 inches with the Safari, and I have hit this dirt hard. The CTX found a few new relics at 9-10inches, here's the results:

20150629_211004_resized.jpg 20150629_210512_resized.jpg

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey TL,
I owed the Safari for over a year and it is a great machine!
But, it is night and day under the CTX. In clean ground, the Safari can hold its own. But when it comes to seperation, and depth. Theres no comparison. Thats my 2 cents.
And I own alot of machines.
George

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats not true at all!!
How did you come to that conclusion?
Bacause if I run open screen, old rusty nails (small, like 8-penny or smaller) give the sweetest repeating high tones ever. The screen shows iron (blue lower RH corner) with a very, very faint red mark right in the coin spot (12/44, 12/46). They are always very rusty, not just plain nails.

I can tell it is iron/rust because of the display but if going on tones alone, I would go crazy.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bacause if I run open screen, old rusty nails (small, like 8-penny or smaller) give the sweetest repeating high tones ever. The screen shows iron (blue lower RH corner) with a very, very faint red mark right in the coin spot (12/44, 12/46). They are always very rusty, not just plain nails.

I can tell it is iron/rust because of the display but if going on tones alone, I would go crazy.

You must be running in feris coin?
If you run in ground coin that will not happen.
Dont get me wrong, there is not a detector out there that is not tricked by a rusty nail once in a while.
But on the great scam of things the Ctx does a great job of letting you know..
Go in pinpoint and find the target, then let go and swing, if the high tone is not there? Then you know its the halo off the rusty iron. .
George

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, now who will buy me one? [emoji38]

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Just received a CTX3030 that I purchased from another TNet member. While I have mastered the Safari, this is definitely a lot more machine. In the past, I ran my Safari with great success with -10 to -6 discrim, in all metal, with full tones (iron grunt). I have heard about a "Gone Hunting" program online, but can't seem to track down the settings. Any advice on how to configure this machine for relic hunting is greatly appreciated!

Glad to see you are enjoying it already. I miss it for sure.

Search through the programs. "gone hunting" might already be on there, down a ways. And the modified "Coins" program that is on there is similar in the fact it is combined and 4 tone. Other than that it just opens up the descrim. So run the coins one that came on the machine and run screen 2.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see you are enjoying it already. I miss it for sure.

Search through the programs. "gone hunting" might already be on there, down a ways. And the modified "Coins" program that is on there is similar in the fact it is combined and 4 tone. Other than that it just opens up the descrim. So run the coins one that came on the machine and run screen 2.

Thanks Jack, she's in good hands :laughing7:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can you guys run an open screen using 50 conductive? Wouldn't you constantly be looking at the screen? Bottom right iron targets would sound amazing. Am I missing something?

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me I would never run a completely open screen but I don't relic hunt. And for me I don't like the 50 conductive. Not as clean of a sound IMO

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you guys run an open screen using 50 conductive? Wouldn't you constantly be looking at the screen? Bottom right iron targets would sound amazing. Am I missing something?

Run a open screen in combined mode. Not 50tone..
5 tone!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread