Question for the Minelab guys....and gals.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not new to detecting but will be new to minelabs.....my question is: What is the difference in the Etrac, Safari and the Explorer's? I have hunted around Etrac's and have done the most research on them. I like the less weight, easier operation and less money of the Safari, but what am i losing? I want this machine for old, deep coins and a few trips a year to the beach.....thanks.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out these YouTube vids...

Hope this helps. I have a Safari so if I can answer any of your question just ask.....

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ETrack has way more discrimination adjustments and audio adjustments, Safari I would call a turn on and go it has many less settings. After using the ETRAC my Safari rarely gets used as I don't understand its language anymore and always did have the deep crushed can troubles with it. Once in a while i get a deep crushed can but its not prevalent at least .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not new to detecting but will be new to minelabs.....my question is: What is the difference in the Etrac, Safari and the Explorer's? I have hunted around Etrac's and have done the most research on them. I like the less weight, easier operation and less money of the Safari, but what am i losing? I want this machine for old, deep coins and a few trips a year to the beach.....thanks.
Of the three detectors you've mentioned and the type of detecting you plan on doing, I'd recommend the E-trac, Explorer, and Safari, in that order.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting since the 70's.... I have a new Etrac and had not used a Minelab either.... Its is really awesome on coins in open fields/low trash areas... Its slower but the VDI is the most accurate I have seen... I have my F75SE for speed and trashy/iron infested areas...

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some say the Safari isn't as deep as an Explorer, but in practice, I never noticed much difference.

I did not want to spend big money on a new Etrac, so I waited till a real bargain crossed my path : an Explorer II with very low mileage. I do NOT believe the Etrac is deeper, coil for coil, and the CTX has to be swung above WET salt sand to beat those two in the depth departement, something like 2 to 3 inches on coins.

Plus the Explorer's smart find screen has iron left and non iron right. Tha't what I always have known when I started to swing primitive detectors years ago. I can't get use to the below/above screen of the Etrac, but that's just me.

A 2nd hand Explorer (II or SE) will repay itself faster, just avoid the slimline coil on the SE.

Grumpy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello DiggerinVA,

I bought a used Explorer SE (new pro coil) and an Explorer II at very low prices. Both detectors are very deep and return a lot of information (visual and audio) to the operator. I do not use much discrimination on either machine and move the coil slow and scrape the grass while swinging. I believe you cannot go wrong if you purchase one of these used. Getting them repaired may be a problem due to cost…etc., but if you get one cheap, think of it as a “use it till it breaks” machine.

Regards,

Doc

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For an introduction to fbs I would recommend finding a used explorer. I recently found a ex11 for $275 and it came with the old fbs800 coil. These kind of deals are out there. That way if you don't like it you can still get your money back.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For an introduction to fbs I would recommend finding a used explorer. I recently found a ex11 for $275 and it came with the old fbs800 coil. These kind of deals are out there. That way if you don't like it you can still get your money back.
That is a great deal! The price on that coil has skyrocketed, I'd keep that coil if the detector dies even to use on a safari or etrac!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another you may consider, is soverign, no screen to deal with, tornado coils go deep, and it's a very good beach machine. Kevin

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, the technology is the same on all of them, so the most significant differences are features.
The Safari being Minelab's bottom of the line FBS unit, it has the fewest features. Displays only CO, least refined DISC, No GB controls, no backlight, etc...
The Explorer series is no longer produced, but was considered by many as the middle model. Displays FE/CO, better disc, auto Sens capable, Iron Mask, backlight, etc...
The E-trac is the top of the line, with the finest DISC, FE/CO display with "12 Line" normalization, fastest processor, (though it also has more to do than it's predecessors), and the most user adjustable features.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread