cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have a hard time using a coil that big in any of the parks around my area! Just too much junk. I'd go smaller rather than bigger.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input....

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to elaborate a bit more than Mark.....
If you spend a lot of time listing to an uninterrupted threshold tone, then you might benefit from a larger coil. But, if you hear frequent nulls in the threshold indicating the presence of discriminated objects, then a smaller coil that can work between them is likely a better choice.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large coils have their place.... Usually parks have enough trash that it makes it tough to use them in those areas. Some have been hunted so extensively that you will find yourself in the condition described by Longhair.... But I've seen very few of those. Most have trash which needs to be picked through, making a smaller than stock coil more valuable.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the input, a lot of times I will run in all metal and just endure all the noise to be able to hear a squeak of something good. So with that in mind would the bigger coil help? Even running in all metal I will switch to my discrimination mode to see if I still hear the sound and that has produced some old coins that everyone else has missed. Again any input is appreciated....

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're trying to sort through potential targets where there are many (the tones almost never stop sounding), then you're missing good targets with a larger coil and a smaller one will find more. It's too easy (and common) for a large object signal to mask a better smaller target. A smaller coil can get in between objects instead of risking the coil being over to large or too many objects at once. Think of the difference between trying to sort small objects with a scoop shovel as opposed to a trowel.

OP
OP
timelord

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, just read a post about do you really need a larger coil and it said the stock is the best one just slow down and also go 90 degrees then 45 to that. I do go slow and that is why I'm still finding silver where others have given up. Thanks again for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread