Questions from a new detectorist who had a CTX 3030 delivered yesterday.

Joe West

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

Yesterday I received a new CTX3030 that I ordered from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies (Thanks Bart!). Here is what I am working with:

CTX3030
Minelab Pro Find 25 Pin Pointer
Lesche Ground Shark 40
Lesche Hand Digger
6" Minelab coil
17" Minelab coil
Large Minelab bag

I live near Laurinburg NC and have used a very inexpensive metal detector for a couple of years back in the mid 1990s. Technology has come a long way since then.

So... on to my questions.

First question: I was trying out the CTX3030 yesterday and discovered that I had to lay it on the ground every time I needed to dig a target. Is there some sort of stand that can be clamped to the detector to allow it to remain upright when not in use?

Second question: I found that I used the Lesche hand digger and pin pointer frequently. Is there some sort of "detectorist" utility belt that I can put these tools in, or should I simply use a regular belt?

Third question: Would you recommend I run wide open or use the built-in discrimination patterns to start? I found myself switching between wide open and the coin discrimination pattern yesterday. In essence, I am wondering if my learning curve will be shorter if I run wide open; learning the types of signals produced by trash, and then switch to a discrimination pattern as I learn to recognize trash without digging it.

Final question: When you ask someone for permission to dig on their property, do you normally split the finds with them or do you just ask for permission and then (assuming it is granted) keep everything you dig? It is possible that each permission is situational, and detectorists use a combination of these two approaches... in essence, what offer to a land owner would you lead with? I am after examples of what you would say to a land owner to initiate the discussion.

Thanks so much for considering my questions.

Best,

Joe

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the CTX! Yes, tech has come light years from when I started too (radio shack in the 1970s). Lemme give you my opinions on your questions. I'm sure others will chime in with better answers shortly.

1) yes, such things are made but most folks that use them seem to make their own. I have seen lightweight rifle bipods used as well (plastic M-16 sissors style specifically). keep in mind tho that adding something to your shaft will throw off the balance a bit. this is something that each person has to decide if it is for him or not.

2) yes, but most folks come up with something they personalize for their style of tool use. I have made 10+ over the years and used everything from military surplus belts/pouches to tool belts/pouches, to a vest(with minelab style rigid harness) that I now use in cooler times when using the 17" coil on my CTX. (I highly recommend some kind of harness with the 17". I can go 2hrs without one but all day with one). this is something that is continually evolving with me- always looking for a better mousetrap.

3) go with the discrimination to start. otherwise you will go insane.

4) definitely not an expert here, but I'd lay off asking permissions until you get a good handle on your machine. you may only get one shot at a yard and you don't want to screw it up. but to answer, there is no answer. its whatever you want to do. some folks wont bother with a yard where the homeowner wants a cut, some folks offer 50-50, and some folks take what they find and make a display to give to the homeowner. I'd say go for keep it all, negotiate to 50-50, you keep the jewelry and I keep the coins, or any other split that you both feel is fair. search youtube for metal detecting asking permission or some such. there some guy on there that has him live asking and he is really good. sorry but I cant rem his name.

OP
OP
J

Joe West

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Champ. This gives me a good start. I appreciate your detailed response. I will definitely hold off on asking for permission to hunt private property until I gain some experience.

Joe

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big thing on yards is to be VERY good at retrieval without damaging, or even appearing to damage the owners yard. I always try to leave the place better than I found it. Good experiences on private permissions tend to lead to other permissions thru referrals ime.

Also, another split that I have heard used was detectorists gets jewelry and even #'d coins, homeowner gets odds. or vice versa.
Good hunting!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
well you should have got one of these with your 3030 they come with most all new Minelab detectors they hold your pinpointed and digger and your finds .. mzeaWBbnRVHCaxyaeMpb3HA.jpg ... But if it did not come with your 3030 you can buy them for about $30.00 they do come in handy ..

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the CTX! Yes, tech has come light years from when I started too (radio shack in the 1970s). Lemme give you my opinions on your questions. I'm sure others will chime in with better answers shortly.

1) yes, such things are made but most folks that use them seem to make their own. I have seen lightweight rifle bipods used as well (plastic M-16 sissors style specifically). keep in mind tho that adding something to your shaft will throw off the balance a bit. this is something that each person has to decide if it is for him or not.

2) yes, but most folks come up with something they personalize for their style of tool use. I have made 10+ over the years and used everything from military surplus belts/pouches to tool belts/pouches, to a vest(with minelab style rigid harness) that I now use in cooler times when using the 17" coil on my CTX. (I highly recommend some kind of harness with the 17". I can go 2hrs without one but all day with one). this is something that is continually evolving with me- always looking for a better mousetrap.

3) go with the discrimination to start. otherwise you will go insane.

4) definitely not an expert here, but I'd lay off asking permissions until you get a good handle on your machine. you may only get one shot at a yard and you don't want to screw it up. but to answer, there is no answer. its whatever you want to do. some folks wont bother with a yard where the homeowner wants a cut, some folks offer 50-50, and some folks take what they find and make a display to give to the homeowner. I'd say go for keep it all, negotiate to 50-50, you keep the jewelry and I keep the coins, or any other split that you both feel is fair. search youtube for metal detecting asking permission or some such. there some guy on there that has him live asking and he is really good. sorry but I cant rem his name.

This would have pretty much been my response to all your questions. I didn't run the machine open for the first year cause I couldn't process all the sounds in my head. It took me a little here and a little there to get used to it all and now I hardly run any discrimination and my finds have increased. Be sure and get Bart to send you the link to the Gone Hunting CTX Program. I purchased my first CTX from him when the program was available on the web, now you have to ask for it. I use it all the time cause I haven't found anything that works better, but I do have a program that runs a tighter discrimination pattern, but it is scary to use.

Play with the threshold pitch and other settings to help you hear the sounds better. I generally run mine with a pretty solid "hum" at all times. Find a deep, weak target and play with the sounds to "bring it closer in" and leave it.

I have never had a homeowner ask me for my finds and 9 out of 10 times they will not take anything I offer them. I made friends with the historical society, and I donate finds and I use this as an explanation to get on properties.

One last thing. It wouldn't hurt to get a few Velcro straps. I have thousands of hours on the CTX and I have gone through at least 2 Velcro straps. They are really a requirement to keep the machine from slipping. I always pick mine up by the strap and in doing so, I wear them out.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread