Pre purchase CTX 3030 question

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I just purchased the CTX 3030. I've never owned a Minelab product before.

I must say, I'm impressed.

Andy's book has been extremely helpful. I've got a better understanding of what everything is doing.

I can see the power of this machine. I try out a new tip every time, read the book, learn something, try it, learn something, adjust settings, get better... every hunt is an improvement over the last one.

If you just turn it on and go- yep... probably pretty unimpressive.

It's light years ahead of my other detectors.

I was testing another setting in my back yard today.

I've been over this spot dozens of times before. It's my yard. I know it well.

One 1995 dime is not that impressive, until I realized I've been over this same spot with my other detectors dozens of times before- and this is the first time I've seen it.

Last edited:

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ctx is a great machine use an open screen and listen to sounds and you wont miss anything

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
$2500.00 machine and you have to replace a $5.00 gasket to bring it up to snuff!?? What's up with that??

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Pump out an expensive unit with a cheap ass gasket and then have nothing but warranty issues after the thing leaks. Still haven't resolved the issue. What about people who don't know about the gasket upgrade.?? BS!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe I detect a hint of jealousy in the air today.
What a great society that we live in that we don't have to buy any detector that we don't want AND can express our hurt......feelings on this great thing they call the Inturweb.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I think some of the poor performance reports may stem from users long familiarity with their 'cheaper/faster/better' machines, been hammering my ctx for a while now and when I go back to my 'Old Favorites' they sure don't perform as I recall from my pre CTX memories, the rigid shafts, stability at overclock settings, and the GPS is very useful for even gridding on barren wasteland like sand beach and plowed field. (and for recording everywhere you've detected for posterity) HH All, Herbie

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, isn't it just "special" how the people who never bought one or took the time to learn it love to run it down? So much jealousy and butthurt. There are so many brands and models of detectors available, people should use whatever they want and like. I don't insult people's choice because they swing something different from me but I do laugh when those people feel the need to speak out about what I swing. :occasion14:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new to this machine, and every hunt I work on getting better with a new feature.

I love the GPS, I can adjust settings on my computer, load up my own patterns... allow or block anything I choose, what a great machine.

This is one feature I really like.

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 7.51.23 PM.png

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this machine, and every hunt I work on getting better with a new feature.

I love the GPS, I can adjust settings on my computer, load up my own patterns... allow or block anything I choose, what a great machine.

This is one feature I really like.

View attachment 1248433

So are the way points where you found gold rings....? :laughing7:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I wanted speed I'd buy a corvette. It's funny how my CTX finds silver where these "fast" machines cannot. I've got plenty of rust colored silvers, go figure.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I find plenty of silver coins with my AT pro. Don't know what your talking about, how do you figure "fast machines cannot"? It's the person swinging not the machine that has anything to do with a fast machine comparing it to the CTX as to wether it pics up a silver coin or not.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You swing fast enough, you miss good targets with a slow processing machine. You swing slower with a fast processing machine, theirs not much you'll miss.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You shouldn't be swinging any detector like a corvette. Or are we talking cars now? Fast recovery speed on the beach is a big bonus to cover plenty of ground and not miss a whole lot.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find plenty of silver coins with my AT pro. Don't know what your talking about, how do you figure "fast machines cannot"? It's the person swinging not the machine that has anything to do with a fast machine comparing it to the CTX as to wether it pics up a silver coin or not.

No, it;s not always the person swinging it. I have hunted my CTX side by side with a long-time AT-Pro user. Every time I got a 10 - 12" deep coin signal I called him over (his idea). He wanted to see if there was anything he could do to get those super deep targets. Every single time he either got a broken irony tone or simply no tone at all.

Do you really know what a "fast" machine really is? I can whip my CTX like mad and actually increase it's depth slightly. It's impossible to swing it too fast in MOST places. When I have heavy trash, I can also slow it down to a snail's pace and still see that 12" deep coin, I can just see it hidden among the trash easier that way.

But please, continue to bash the Minelabs like you do in every thread about them.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fact of the matter is the op asked a question about a machine he's planning on purchasing, a CTX in the MINELAB sub forum. Yet some guys will come on here and bash the CTX? I get it, the CTX is not for everyone but don't bash a machine a person is about to purchase.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact of the matter is the op asked a question about a machine he's planning on purchasing, a CTX in the MINELAB sub forum. Yet some guys will come on here and bash the CTX? I get it, the CTX is not for everyone but don't bash a machine a person is about to purchase.
He has already purchased the 3030....

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Lmao! I'm not bashing Minelab. I know what a fast machine is sir. Don't get too cocky either. I don't bash any machines in fact I like Minelabs. I simply stated that a fast machine can certainly fine the silver coins no problem at all. Now you've changed your whole point, now your talking about depth. Well of course depth will change every aspect of a detectors ability to find a target. Are you talking depth or recovery speed?? Lmao.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
CTX is one fine machine. I made a complaint about the gasket having to be replaced by the purchaser. Whites had the same problem with theirs leaking. All I said was a 2500$ machine shouldn't leak from the result of a cheap gasket that you have to upgrade to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread