Pre purchase CTX 3030 question

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
..and I don't bash Minelabs in every thread! Lol. I've never bashed a detector so I don't know where your coming from but your way off here buddy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the gasket, how many 3030s haven't leak at all, how many leaks were due to user error vs gasket failure?

Of those that have leaked how many would have been fine if they were checked after every hunt, The main danger to gasket is sand the main damage from battery leak is allowing the corrosion to take hold, a good flush with distilled water could save it...

Hunters need to take care of their equipment. I wash my waterproof detectors after every hunt in hot shower to wash ALL the salt off, then checking everything after each hunt...I also use silicone on my excal battery terminals and ikelite gaskets. 3030 is showered and checked as well....

No one knows what plans Minelab has for the 3030 but it is one of their flagship detectors, like the excals, explorers, sovereigns, my guess is it will see improvements made....

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I can't answer that but I am wanting to purchase one and hearing that you need to upgrade the gasket or it will eventually leak isn't something I like hearing when investing big $$$.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right to do so....Those who were worried about gaskets bought after market gaskets.......

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't NEED to replace the gasket. To use that term is inflammatory and intentionally misleading (and yes, its bashing if you really understand the issue). Many owners do however upgrade their gaskets to gain a higher level of waterproofing. Cheap insurance 'just in case'. Its really that simple.

I'm not a dealer and don't have any friends who hunt a CTX so I can only talk about mine, but I dunked it in fresh water numerous times before upgrading the gaskets and never had a single problem.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same for me. Multiple trips into the lake with the factory gasket. Was I nervous the first time? Yep, but never had a drop of water in it. did I "upgrade" my O-rings, sure. It's cheap insurance, and I have seen a guy who scuba dives to ~40 feet with the new o-rings without any leaks.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same for me. Multiple trips into the lake with the factory gasket. Was I nervous the first time? Yep, but never had a drop of water in it. did I "upgrade" my O-rings, sure. It's cheap insurance, and I have seen a guy who scuba dives to ~40 feet with the new o-rings without any leaks.

Man, I am still nervous when I get any of my machines (except the Excal) near water. Well, ok, theres always that nagging thought in the back of my mind that an Excal can fail too.

OP
OP
baspinall

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang didn't know this thread was still alive. Well I love my machine. It does soooo much. My favorite find so far with it is this 1766 William Pitt Token. Of course it still likes the big silver as well :laughing7:

Attachments

• DSC_1089.JPG
    DSC_1089.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_1092.JPG
    DSC_1092.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20151024_082013.jpg
    20151024_082013.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 87

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I'm not bashing the frickin detector or Minelab!!! I want to buy a CTX but because ive heard all these guys saying to put the after market gasket in after purchase, I'm just hearing all these different stories about the gasket. Showing a concern or complaining about a piece of expensive equipment that I wish to purchase is not bashing!! I'm not criticizing or showing hatred towards Minelab or the CTX. Learn what the word bashing means

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Next time I'll make sure I don't say anything that will make some of you Minelab guys so defensive...so sensitive! Lol.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time I'll make sure I don't say anything that will make some of you Minelab guys so defensive...so sensitive! Lol.

Fact that you have to continually make post after post shows you are the only person here being sensitive and defensive. The fact remains that YOU, without ever owning one, have made multiple posts condemning the company because you THINK the O-ring is some major defect. No company is perfect, no detector is perfect, but people who condemn without ever owning one are generally thought of as bashers and haters.

I think the problem is that you have been listening to a few people out of how many thousands of detectors sold who had problems. then there were haters jumping on the band-wagon screaming SEE! SEE! IT'S JUST OVERPRICED JUNK! MINELAB SUCKS! Minelab is a great company and one of the few doing real research into new technology. The consistent finds made with Minelabs is testimony to the abilities of the models. Whether you are buying a $10 radio or a $80,000 Corvette there will always be lemons. It's just the nature of mass manufacturing.

If you do decide to drop the coin for a CTX, there are plenty here, including myself, who will not hesitate to answer any questions and offer advice to help you get the most out of it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Christmas time, let's please be polite to each other....

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haters gonna hate.

Merry Xmas to you ALL. I hope you all find that one special item that crowns your detecting career in the coming year.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
[/QUOTE]
I can whip my CTX like mad and actually increase it's depth slightly. It's impossible to swing it too fast in MOST places. When I have heavy trash, I can also slow it down to a snail's pace and still see that 12" deep coin, I can just see it hidden among the trash easier that way. [/QUOTE]
When I hear one of those tiny threshhold breaks in heavy iron sites I'll give the area some real fast short sweeps at cross angles and usually end up with tone if not #s, this method is how Xmas eves low tide produced a goodie from an inlet Ive detected a couple thousand times with past machines and only recently searched with my ole beat up CTX,
Sure it's got some ED, but it was definitely AU :thumbsup:

CAROLUS III PISTAREEN  (19).jpg CAROLUS III PISTAREEN  (46) copy.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread