USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy Sabisch's Book and Boot Camp

Just wanted to chime in on Andy's CTX-3030 Book and Boot Camp. I attended the Boot Camp in Knoxville on 08/16/2015 and picked up a copy of his new book while there. I can not say enough about what a great experience it was to meet with Mr. Sabisch and meet the guys from these boards. Andy's class was top of the line and packed with useful knowledge, tips and anecdotes of real world experience with the CTX-3030. The field part of the training consisted of target gardens and a hunt in a nearby park with Andy making the rounds and visiting students to answer questions and check settings. The just released Sabisch CTX-3030 book is a home run, it is everything I need, in conjunction with the Boot Camp, to tame the CTX beast.

I am a newbie but I have heard nothing but compliments from veteran FBS users with respect to both the Boot Camp and book. While before I approached the CTX with uncertainty and ignorance, I now survey the conditions at the target site, make adjustments to my CTX based on rock solid knowledge gained from the Boot Camp and Book and off I go. I make changes at the drop of a dime now, most importantly I now know why I am making these changes and what I can expect my CTX to be doing based on these changes. I encourage you all to get the CTX-3030 book just published and run, don't walk to a Boot Camp if you can.

A shout out to Charlene for organizing things at the Boot Camp.

Semper Fi,
EJD

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Said, Reaper. I couldn't agree more.
And it was a pleasure to meet you(and the others) in person.

OP
OP
USMC Reaper

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Said, Reaper. I couldn't agree more.
And it was a pleasure to meet you(and the others) in person.

Champ, it was great meeting you. Let's go hunting soon. I'm pretty much available all the time. Stay motivated.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to attend a "Boot Camp" here in CA. I'm hoping they make it out west someday!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Love the book. Lots of stuff I didn't know about the machine. Only thing I'm in a toss up with is noise cancel and when to press it. I am still playing with whether or not to tune it when on the ground or in air. Every 3030 owner should read this book though. Hhgl-Joe

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the book. Lots of stuff I didn't know about the machine. Only thing I'm in a toss up with is noise cancel and when to press it. I am still playing with whether or not to tune it when on the ground or in air. Every 3030 owner should read this book though. Hhgl-Joe

Have you ever found a target in the air? Lol
Make sure there is nothing under coil, and noise cancel on the ground.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a city tour listing anywhere for the bootcamp?

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to the Portage, IN bootcamp!!

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey joeb1999,

I honestly think it is six of one, half dozen of the other, as to coil position during auto noise cancel.

I've had my CTX several years, and experimented in many areas, including the coil position (up/down) during noise cancel.

Since EMI normally emanates from above ground sources, the above ground position (as per manual) is the position I continue to do the auto noise cancel. (with excellent results)

When I did the noise cancel in the ground position, there was no perceptible benefit, nor was there any perceptible harmful effect!

The ground balance circuitry takes care of ground mineralization, (which some refer to as "ground noise") that is separate from noise cancel, which simply adjusts to the quietest channel based on EMI in the immediate vicinity. (which is electrical interference, normally from above ground)

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not posted in a long time and I thought I would chime in concerning the noise cancellation. To be honest, I haven't read a lick concerning using the CTX, but I have 2+ years experience so pretty much all I know is from using the machine and not textbook information.

On the noise cancel, I haven't noticed a difference when using it with the coil in the air or on the ground. I THINK (I haven't read up on it) the machine basically "scrolls" through a bunch of frequencies and finds the most stable. I will use it when I get a lot of noise while detecting, which is evidenced when I swing my coil and I hear a bunch of higher, shorter signals. Basically the machine will false a lot more. I may use the noise cancel every other detecting hunt (I do a lot of detecting in town) and usually not more than once per day. It really does a great job of cleaning up the sounds. It is also handy when you are around someone else and your getting interference from their machine.

units40

May 29, 2013
Have you been to one before? If so how many people usually attend? Is it worth the money

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its normally 14-15 attendees.
Judging from the one I went to and pics of previous classes.

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great weekend at the Portage, IN Bootcamp 10/04/15!! I must say that Andy, and his wife Charlene, are wonderful and amazing people! Andy has an attitude of gratitude, and is a genuine nice guy, who enjoys sharing his extensive knowledge of metal detectors and metal detecting! The morning (8am to 12:30pm working lunch) was spent on mastering the CTX, by gaining a solid understanding of its controls, and how they interact with each other, to understanding patterns and how to use/create them. I found the most important part of the course for me was learning how ground mineralization effects the CTX, and how to compensate for it, and how to "dial in" the CTX for maximum performance, whether your in Florida or Ontario, Canada! The afternoon (1pm to 5pm) was out in the field, putting into action what we learned in the classroom. From there, Andy spent time with each of us, until we were able to show proficiency in the operation of the CTX, by "dialing in" the CTX for maximum performance, and confident in what to dig, what was a questionable dig (Andy suggests to dig it anyway, unless cherry picking or time being an issue. If time is the issue, mark the spot by using the CTX gps "FindPoint" function to go back and dig later), and what not to dig. Some interesting finds came out of the park we used for the in-field session was an 1847 Seated Dime, that had been made into a love token! When we got back to the hotel (and after the course ended) Andy asked konas62 to bring him the Canadian clad that he brought, and Andy began working (and showing us how to create a pattern and modes) on a pattern/mode for our Canadian clad. It took Andy a good 30 minutes, as he worked through several $2 coins $1 coins, all the way down to nickels, from different years, until he was satisfied with the pattern/mode (he is a perfectionist when it came to this).
Thank you Andy (and Charlene) for a very informative course, that has made me feel confident in using my CTX anywhere and any place! You guys rock!! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Bootcamp-Forum-Post.jpg
    Bootcamp-Forum-Post.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread