Waterproofing CTX-3030 US O-Rings

EdwardMH

Aug 30, 2015
Springfield, MO.
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined the forum and am fairly new to the Hobby with LOTS to learn, 2-3 weeks ago I bought my CTX-3030 I tried to go buy some o-rings for the waterproof mod but when I showed the assistant at the hardware store the posts from this site about them he said they were missing a number that all his o-ring sizes had 3 numbers (##x##.##x##) or something? Do you know of a supplier for the U.S. Market? I wish to set it up to Scuba quality spec even though I do not yet know how to Scuba just to be safe I would rather over protect my gear than risk a leak (What exact sizes in the USA for USB and Battery and anything else are needed and best Online supplier if the local hardware stare does not have them.

OP
OP
EdwardMH

EdwardMH

Aug 30, 2015
Springfield, MO.
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is the thread I showed the hardware guy and he said there was not enough number size information the thread gives numbers like 70 x 2.65 the hardware guy said it should be listed as 70x2.65x(something) So I am looking for USA compatible sizes

OP
OP
EdwardMH

EdwardMH

Aug 30, 2015
Springfield, MO.
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I think I will just look for a internet store for them and not bother the local hardware guy anymore just to be safe.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I think I will just look for a internet store for them and not bother the local hardware guy anymore just to be safe.

PM me. I just bought 50 of them and they work great. I can send the link where they are about 7 cents a piece

OP
OP
EdwardMH

EdwardMH

Aug 30, 2015
Springfield, MO.
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I found the part of the post listing the battery o-rings for water proof, heavy surf, and scuba sizes but only one size for the USB port is there only one for all 3 use conditions?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PM me. I just bought 50 of them and they work great. I can send the link where they are about 7 cents a piece

I took one of Diggin's o-rings into Kellyco, I installed it on a 3030 bulkhead and put it in a pressure talk, ran it up to 10 psi left it for 20 mins, then put it in a tank of water for 20 mins, not a single air bubble and no leaks at all, 10 lb psi is about 23 feet so it is good to at least 25 feet I'm sure,probably a lot deeper. It would have no problem handling strong wave action while hunting in the surf...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I took one of Diggin's o-rings into Kellyco, I installed it on a 3030 bulkhead and put it in a pressure talk, ran it up to 10 psi left it for 20 mins, then put it in a tank of water for 20 mins, not a single air bubble and no leaks at all, 10 lb psi is about 23 feet so it is good to at least 25 feet I'm sure,probably a lot deeper. It would have no problem handling strong wave action while hunting in the surf...

Kellyco is selling the o'ring mod? They could pay me a patent for that ! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco is selling the o'ring mod? They could pay me a patent for that ! :laughing7:
Kellyco isn't selling o-rings for 3030, I took one Diggin sent me to there and ran a pressure test on spare bulkhead with one of the o-rings.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread I know. But for anyone looking for an american o ring the 79 by 2.65 is the same as 3"ID X 3 3/16"OD X 3/32". They fit very well. :occasion14:

Last edited:

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to reseal it every time you had to remove the battery and recharge your battery pack. Or the usb port cap would probably never be able to be opened either if you were to use a sealant like that.

Last edited:

MarySeminole

Dec 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3M 4200 Adhesive Sealant is designed to be removed on boat applications. You can probably just peal it off.
3M 5200 Adhesive Sealant is permanent.

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought the same when i saw them for sale on ebayUK my dear friend ................you are the originator for sure happy new year to you and familly

RR

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco isn't selling them...They were going to sell them but stopped because of liability issues since they are not Minelab approved.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3M 4200 Adhesive Sealant is designed to be removed on boat applications. You can probably just peal it off.
3M 5200 Adhesive Sealant is permanent.

The msds sheet calls this stuff not to friendly. Along with doing a test spot on plastic, as it could eat the plastic, not something I would want to add to my ctx. The o ring works well and is cheap fix for a water tight seal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread