New point of failure on the CTX 3030 - yes another leak!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

Did a scuba hunt with my friend on Friday and spent almost 2 hours underwater with the CTX 3030 with no issue at an average depth of 8/10m (30/35ft). Came back on the boat, flush it with fresh water as usual. Took it Saturday for a land detection, did half an hour detection and the message appeared:

"COIL NOT DETECTED".

I thought it was just a problem of connection, came back to the car and sprayed some WD40 without any success, the pins were cleaned and not broken. I took an other coil that I had in the Trunk and by magic, CTX3030 could sing again!

We took a closer look to the CTX11 coil and this is what we saw:

509551ctx11dead1.jpg

268157ctx11dead2.jpg

The waterproof connector has a leak and we can see Seawater inside it. I don't change so often the coil on my CTX so there is not so many manipulation.... :BangHead:

Hopefully Minelab has a top service & guarantee that I will use "again"

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about that. But its great to know where the weakness is.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cables weren't designed for diving. you may need to silicone the end by the connector.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't taken my CTX in the water yet. I bought new Minelab o-rings, but I also ordered the o-rings Diggin recommended, but they're some weeks away. The new scoop is probably some time away as well. Thank you VERY much for posting this issue! I'll be applying silicon liberally!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if there is a weakness you will surely find it and the cure as you have all the others from the USB to the Battery O Ring... Many Thanks Froggy for your adventure to better the CTX.. :notworthy:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't taken my CTX in the water yet. I bought new Minelab o-rings, but I also ordered the o-rings Diggin recommended, but they're some weeks away. The new scoop is probably some time away as well. Thank you VERY much for posting this issue! I'll be applying silicon liberally!!!
Maybe Froggy can recommend something but I would use Aquaseal over Silicon...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Froggy can recommend something but I would use Aquaseal over Silicon...

My concern is possibly voiding warranty if you have to send coil in for warranty work. Spray on plasti-dip can be easily removed, not sure how well Aquaseal can be removed before shipping for warranty work.. Cables are designed for 10 ft not 30 ft +....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It does not make sense what you did .. You took a detector that is rated for 10 feet and went down 30 to 35 feet .. And then you are surprised that something went wrong ...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fmr, I appreciate your posting of your 'research' and fixes and that's why you have a 'Like' in post #1. NOT because I am in any way happy that you found a weak point.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your answer all :notworthy: I don't know what to do (I haven't thought about it) to cure this weakness. The leak doesn't come from the connector by itself but from the plastic foam waterproofing the cabling.

This coil is 2 years old and have probably hundred of hours of dives and surf detection in salty condition. Maybe it's an isolate issue....

OBN & TH, I'm sure you can develop and post some photos of your proposed fix....

PS: concerning the USB ring : just forget it, just use a sealant + waterproof grease (for outboard)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread