Ordered Go Find 60

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazon had the Go Find 60 for $175 free shipping today so I ordered one. I have a 2 seat convertible and having been eyeing the GF60 for a month now to keep in the car, I just didn't want to spend $300. I can't wait to give it a try. I really like the idea of never being without a detector!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an unheard of price for one - you did very well!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw that. $175 for the 60 and $170 for the 40. What's that deal? I guess Minelab is bypassing the MAP (minimum advertised price) on the Go Find. That would place it as a "family" or "starter" detector like Bounty Hunter. If Minelab goes that route through chains and Internet mega stores, I don't see dealers promoting the line. Many may drop them to not have to be bothered.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That price Can be beat...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who wouldn't pay the extra 5 bucks for the 60? That's some strange marketing right there.

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
My Go-Find 60 came in yesterday and I was able to get it out to a local park for about an hour. I like it. It folds up really small which serves the purpose for which I ordered it. I'm 6 foot and it extends long enough that it was comfortable in my arm. It has a back light that you can turn on and off. It has 4 discrimination levels that you can turn on or off (iron, nickel, zinc, dime/quarter, but I think they named them differently). It has volume control and sensitivity control.

So, I get to the park without messing with the controls. I quickly figure out how to turn off iron. I walk just a few feet from the parking lot towards a tot lot, get a hit, drop to my knees to dig it when I here 2 boys 6-8 years old. They come running over and one of them steps right on the shaft of my brand new detector. I'm upset, but keep it together and explain to him that he has to be careful. I leave the hit and head in another direction trying to lose the boys. I pick up a couple of quarters and pop tops with the boys right on top of me and the one that stepped on my detector keeping his head in the hole to the point I can't see. I get another quarter hit, start to dig, he gets over the hole again and I ask him to give me a little room. He backs up and steps on the coil of my brand new detector! I get up and walk all the way across the parking lot to the other side of the park where there is little to no grass just to get away from this young wrecking crew.

Once I get away from the boys and can clear my head, I notice that I never increased the sensitivity. So, I do that. Then I start getting targets that my pinpointer cannot pickup from the surface, I have to dig some before the pinpointer sees them. A couple of my targets ended up being 5". My final take was only 3 quarters and 3 pennies, but I was just there to test the detector and was happy with the results. It got dark on me and the backlight was fantastic.

Now a couple of things I didn't like. The rectangle coil makes it hard to pinpoint with the detector. You have to do a circle around the object if it's not an inch or 2 from the surface to pinppoint it. The earbuds were kind of annoying as the wire either would get caught on my leche or my pinpointer or on the detector itself.

Overall, it fits the purpose that I bought it for: small enough to fit in the trunk of my 2 seat convertible. It appears to hit targets at least 6" deep. The discrimination was good. It's long enough and light weight. I will never take it on a planned hunt, other than tonight when I give it one more test run, but will be happy to have it when I get the opportunity to swing without being able to run home and get one of my other detectors! Thanks for reading. I will update this post when/if the GF60 comes in handy!

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I took it out again last night for about 2 hours to a local park and dug about $3.50 in clad and this little beauty, my first silver ring.

20150917 Silver Ring.jpg

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Go-Find 60 came in yesterday and I was able to get it out to a local park for about an hour. I like it. It folds up really small which serves the purpose for which I ordered it. I'm 6 foot and it extends long enough that it was comfortable in my arm. It has a back light that you can turn on and off. It has 4 discrimination levels that you can turn on or off (iron, nickel, zinc, dime/quarter, but I think they named them differently). It has volume control and sensitivity control.

So, I get to the park without messing with the controls. I quickly figure out how to turn off iron. I walk just a few feet from the parking lot towards a tot lot, get a hit, drop to my knees to dig it when I here 2 boys 6-8 years old. They come running over and one of them steps right on the shaft of my brand new detector. I'm upset, but keep it together and explain to him that he has to be careful. I leave the hit and head in another direction trying to lose the boys. I pick up a couple of quarters and pop tops with the boys right on top of me and the one that stepped on my detector keeping his head in the hole to the point I can't see. I get another quarter hit, start to dig, he gets over the hole again and I ask him to give me a little room. He backs up and steps on the coil of my brand new detector! I get up and walk all the way across the parking lot to the other side of the park where there is little to no grass just to get away from this young wrecking crew.

Once I get away from the boys and can clear my head, I notice that I never increased the sensitivity. So, I do that. Then I start getting targets that my pinpointer cannot pickup from the surface, I have to dig some before the pinpointer sees them. A couple of my targets ended up being 5". My final take was only 3 quarters and 3 pennies, but I was just there to test the detector and was happy with the results. It got dark on me and the backlight was fantastic.

Now a couple of things I didn't like. The rectangle coil makes it hard to pinpoint with the detector. You have to do a circle around the object if it's not an inch or 2 from the surface to pinppoint it. The earbuds were kind of annoying as the wire either would get caught on my leche or my pinpointer or on the detector itself.

Overall, it fits the purpose that I bought it for: small enough to fit in the trunk of my 2 seat convertible. It appears to hit targets at least 6" deep. The discrimination was good. It's long enough and light weight. I will never take it on a planned hunt, other than tonight when I give it one more test run, but will be happy to have it when I get the opportunity to swing without being able to run home and get one of my other detectors! Thanks for reading. I will update this post when/if the GF60 comes in handy!
============================================================
I am looking for something other than the Fisher CZ7 pro I have. Something a bit easier and less complicated. I really have been discouraged a lot so far. So possibly this is the thing I need.
It also seems to have passed the "destruction test" after being stepped on by the kids in various spots. That is a big plus to me. LOL

Now to find out if Don has one in Gettysburg.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the fellow said " I would not take it on a planned hunt", Well I do and I enjoy my time with this machine though it is not my first choice but its use provides a bit of added adventure into my hobby on occasion. I keep a running tally of those finds that help pay the bills and so far this ML 60 has X3 in finds over its original cost (which I paid the full amount). I think it should fit well into a lot of users needs as mentioned above. I think with the reduced cost, we are going to be getting a lot more positive reports as the population grows.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots,of Go Finds, few buyers. Looks like a trainwreck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "Train Wreck" has produced little items with labels like 14 K and such. I guess I can continue my adventure as long as that happens.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't say the detector didn't perform for the users - it just might not perform for Minelab's bottom line. Not every product makes money for it's producers. When they announced the product to their shareholders and investors, they said it was for mass market retailers. Time will tell if we start seeing it at Big 5, Cabelas, walMart, etc., to compete head to head with Bounty Hunter who rules that shelf space.

it's an interesting play on Minelab's part. I hope the dealers are getting these machines cheap because the selling prices seem to be way below the Minimum Advertised Price.

look at the Amazon listing for it "You save 41%". Hard for a dealer to make a living selling at those kind of discounts unless ML is giving them away to dealership!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no MAP...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These detectors are to get new comers into the hobby to have fun at finding stuff. If we needed the money we'd get a job. The heck with that.:laughing7:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick -

Minelab is allowing us to set the prices on this one where ever we want... as noted by Treasure Hunter there is no MAP. But I think you will be hard pressed to find that same deal posted above again unless someone has a typo or some obscure computer issue somewhere.

Overall these are great entry level machines. Once you try one, you will see the performance is there and matches or exceeds that of the competition, plus it has features not found on any other detector on the market.

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with Fort Bedford Detectors, I was expecting more of a toy, but I actually really like the GF60.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update on the MAP - attractive at less than $200, not so attractive at list price.

we will see how it goes.

personally, I like dealing with a real dealer - like the sponsors on here.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick -

We all like deals..... the Go-Find 40 has most of the features of the 60, without the extra accessories - perhaps that would be a better option price wise? I really doubt you will have another opportunity at a 60 at a sub-$200 price point. But for sure we can make that happen on a 40. :) Let me know if we can help!

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick update. I stopped by a park on the way home from work today. I pulled out my GF60 and realized I didn't have my pinpointer. :censored:
I grabbed my probe and set forth to the picnic benches. I was only able to find about 1 out of every 5-7 targets with only the probe. Things were looking bad. I was holding out for the tot lot to evacuate though. I'm glad I did. When it was finally empty, I slipped in and found my first 2 $1 coins! WooHoo! Here is the total haul for about 90 minutes. There will never be a time that my pinpointer is not in my car again tho!

20151203 Dollar Coins.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread