Anyone ever use any GPX on a salt water beach?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the GPX 5000 on a saltwater beach. After you dig a few 30+ inch holes for Matchbox cars or bottle caps, you'll go back to to your 3030 as fast as I went back to my Tesoro Sand Shark! :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Me, I would try it and if you have access to one..

I have a few spots deep in the water I know it would kill because the trash to good target ratio is just about Zero.. But they are not water proof and I'm not sure if I could retrieve all the targets due to the digging depth.

OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
The tough part is I'd have to buy one. And at the depth most of the stuff is coming out now, there are virtually no bottle caps. I just know there are barbers and seated silvers at this place. Even pulled out a large cent with the CTX, so there's potential for other stuff. Just don't know if it's overkill. Not sure of any other way than taking heavy machinery, but that's a sure way to get arrested.

Would a 4000, 4500 or 4800 get less depth than a 5000? I'm just starting the search process, so not too familiar with these machines yet. Are they stable in salt water?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Would a 4000, 4500 or 4800 get less depth than a 5000? I'm just starting the search process, so not too familiar with these machines yet. Are they stable in salt water?

You'll be fine with a GPX 4000. On Wet sand very stable when set up correctly. They cost too much to put in the water!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There comes a time when all the deep holes to find more trash digs into the fun part of the hobby. It's not that important to take a chance on ruining an $$$$$ detector.:BangHead:

OP
OP
testing123

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
There comes a time when all the deep holes to find more trash digs into the fun part of the hobby. It's not that important to take a chance on ruining an $$$$$ detector.:BangHead:

That's what I'm worried about... finding scraps of aluminum after digging down 18 inches. I remember a youtube video where the guy, probably in England was using a similar machine in the field. He got a signal that took probably 5 minutes or more, and it was a huge hole. He seemed disappointed to dig over a foot for his find, which was some kind of Roman scrappy.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have extensive time on the GPX series, and for the conditions you are describing any of the GPX series will work just fine, whether it be the 4000, 4500, 4800, or 5000. The differences in the newer models are refinements that help prospectors.

If you want to try one - now is the time to grab one of the 4800s that are on closeout! There never will be a better time to buy a GPX, as they are a fraction of the price they were just a few months back. But you should hurry, as they are selling out fast everywhere!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have extensive time on the GPX series, and for the conditions you are describing any of the GPX series will work just fine, whether it be the 4000, 4500, 4800, or 5000. The differences in the newer models are refinements that help prospectors.

If you want to try one - now is the time to grab one of the 4800s that are on closeout! There never will be a better time to buy a GPX, as they are a fraction of the price they were just a few months back. But you should hurry, as they are selling out fast everywhere!

Are the coils submergible?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately not, except for the Coiltek 12x8 "Platypus". The rest - either Minelab Commander or Coiltek - are water resistant, but can't be submerged.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a 4800 once but found using a Dual Field is just as effective because you can hit targets at 15-24" with it and digging any deeper has been all but impossible in my experience not to mention worrying about getting the GPX wet. I did try it up in dry sand just to see how deep I could hit targets. After several 24" + deep pieces of clad I got tired of digging gigantic holes to get down that far.
Obn, no the coils are not submersible.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As FBD said only the Coiktek is....

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my GP Extreme in So CA beaches. It does go very deep and worked ok even in wet black sand areas. I think I looked like a black ops guy looking for land mines though. I have a CTX and see no need to go deeper than it does. >2 feet for nickels...

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what minelab 4800 best configuration for beach and wet sand is...

Vol Limit: ?
- GB Type: ?
- Special: ?
- Manual tune: ?
- Motion: ?
- Rx Gain: ?
- Audio: ?
- Audio Tone: ?
- Stabilizer: ?
- Signal: ?
- Target Vol: ?
- Response: ?
- Tracking: ?
- Iron Reject: ?

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what minelab 4800 best configuration for beach and wet sand is...

Vol Limit: ?
- GB Type: ?
- Special: ?
- Manual tune: ?
- Motion: ?
- Rx Gain: ?
- Audio: ?
- Audio Tone: ?
- Stabilizer: ?
- Signal: ?
- Target Vol: ?
- Response: ?
- Tracking: ?
- Iron Reject: ?
Since nobody replied to Erte's question about the Minelab 4800 configuration settings for beach and wet sand, i'm bring his question back to life. Anybody have any experience to share for these settings?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind it is a pulse detector, beaches with a lot of iron will have a lot of useless iron targets.

Here is link on using GPX 5000, setting should be same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread