Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For reasons involving physics, they can't perform as well as dedicated coils for each frequency. They also have to be heavier.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just wondering if Minelab is ok with NEL manufacturing these. I have followed many threads about the issue involving Xterra coils, I just had never actually read or saw an ad for them.
Yes I have a pretty good grasp on physics from several classes I had in college and high school. I wonder how they compromised on the coil windings to make all 3 freq's work. I suppose they focused on the mid freq and it may work best, but the high and low are probably less than optimal? Just had my curiosity sparked.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the question about Minelab's position on the manufacture of these, the answer if no. They have no authority or support from Minelab, and they are still in violation of patent law here in the U.S..

As far as how they do it....it's similar to a balun coil used by ham operators. Basically it fools the transmitter/reciever into believing that the antenna matches. It's quite like running a 10 meter amplifier with an 11 meter transmitter. It can be done, but will never be near optimal.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be some sort or pulse similar to FBS. I think many Minelab Owners would like these two companies to team up. I wonder if Coiltek was granted exclusive rights? What are the techs saying at Minelab Long hair?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek has an exclusive deal negotiated with Minelab that took years to work out. It gives them cooperative access to information and support directly from Minelab, unlike any other company. I've heard of no other company even being considered, much less being involved in any similar negotiation.

Really, the counterfeiter companies aren't going to bother with negotiation if they can steal the technology without it. The problem is, that they stifle the demand for other coils to be developed legitimately, which means that users may never know what they could have had.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never mind. I watched a video, you're able to select like a DEUS etc. I thought it was All 3 at once. Still would be cool for Minelab to adopt. And guess what! NEL has a patent on it. I gotta have one!!! I'll let y'all know how it works on the "lemon" when it gets back from RMA. 5th time... The other one I bought to replace it was stolen so hopefully they can finally fix the beast.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Multi has a patent. However, we now know NEL products aren't the problem, it's coilteks negotiating. If they bartered to be exclusive NEL etc is out, no matter how good the coils are. For the person above, the Coiltek mark up on the same coils Minelab makes, is minelabs $.
When it's all out in the open it makes sense. However, Minelabs Vflex isn't a world patent. Legal over there... Not here....
PS, the Multi seems to be tone only...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek has an exclusive deal negotiated with Minelab that took years to work out. It gives them cooperative access to information and support directly from Minelab, unlike any other company. I've heard of no other company even being considered, much less being involved in any similar negotiation.

Really, the counterfeiter companies aren't going to bother with negotiation if they can steal the technology without it. The problem is, that they stifle the demand for other coils to be developed legitimately, which means that users may never know what they could have had.

Coiltek has a special relationship with Minelab, Coiltek use to make ALL of Minelabs coils for Minelab before Minelab started making them in house. Coiltek is based in Australia..

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, Minelabs Vflex isn't a world patent. Legal over there... Not here....
There is no such thing as a truly International Patent, however, Minelab does have a patent on V-Flex in the United States as well as Australia. So, you're not quite correct.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch did you have the 7.5kh? I ask because I don't think I like mine but my heaviest gold rings were found with it. I was thinking a coil in the 5,6x8-10" range. This new tech from NEL in my opinion shows how good their techs/engineering is. I almost bought a DEUS just for this ability. I'm gitty like a kid at Xmas. Fletch, if you find a source for a smaller coil can you let me know?
As far as "ethics" I had to replace my New under factory warranty 705 with a new one because it couldn't be fixed correctly. I lost $800 plus I'm the deal... My current 705 is a lemon and should have been replaced. I don't have any moral conflicts here lol.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I sold my 705(s) and all the coils. The only ones I liked were the Coiltek digger and the stock concentric. The 10.5 DD just felt and looked awkward to me like a bad pair of shoes!

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch did you have the 7.5kh? I ask because I don't think I like mine but my heaviest gold rings were found with it. I was thinking a coil in the 5,6x8-10" range. This new tech from NEL in my opinion shows how good their techs/engineering is. I almost bought a DEUS just for this ability. I'm gitty like a kid at Xmas. Fletch, if you find a source for a smaller coil can you let me know?
As far as "ethics" I had to replace my New under factory warranty 705 with a new one because it couldn't be fixed correctly. I lost $800 plus I'm the deal... My current 705 is a lemon and should have been replaced. I don't have any moral conflicts here lol.

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the stock concentric 7.5 was my overall favorite coil. Sorry you are having problems with it. I had 2 that never have me any trouble in the year I had them.

Last edited:

Stealth 914

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coiltek has a special relationship with Minelab, Coiltek use to make ALL of Minelabs coils for Minelab before Minelab started making them in house. Coiltek is based in Australia..

Been a while since this post has been touched, I own and use the Nel Hunter 7.5khz with my 2013 Xterra 705 , have used this in wet and dry with outstanding results. I've also used this in gold fields and compared to ML 18khz this Nel coil kills ML. Sorry ML and coiltech but this coil is way more sensitive and accurate with target ID's than yours and absolutely no issues with communication to machine had it for a couple years now with no faults or technical issue's. Ruffer tougher and all round best coil for the 705. Also a mate has borrowed and used it on his 305 and 705's and he keeps asking to borrow it.
Now this 3 in one coil sounds interesting however I now have the ctx 3030 so won't be buying one but it could be a great one for my mates.
To those that have actually bought one and are using it how's it going and any real-time issue's please pass on some feedback. Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions