Excal Battery overcharge

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My kids wanted my Xmas list, so I was skimming through Amazon for accessories for the CTX and the Excal II - and found this in the reviews for an Excal 'AA' battery pack:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNBHS2I...TF8&colid=21AG9BYET206R&coliid=I3KJQFLDH23IBX

Insanely overpriced, but allows me to skip the whole "charge, but don't overcharge the batteries" fiasco. My wife left the original, rechargeable batteries plugged in for a month and according to the owner's manual there is no charge controller, so the original batteries may be destroyed or may have a little life left, but by purchasing alkaline (non rechargeable) batteries from Costco I can enjoy my hobby without worrying about the hassle of uncontrolled recharging. (It is entirely unacceptable for such an expensive detector to come with an uncontrolled charger, by the way, and I would definitely never have bought it if I had known!)

Anyone with experience in this?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Alkaline battery pack is nice as backup although limited to wading only..... You can give it an over night charge and it will last over 12 hours..... Warning, on the rechargable battery I have seen multiple battery pods that were over charged and caused the battery to expand and the pod to crack. A new rechargeable battery pod with battery is $165.

You can buy a smart charger for $29.95 that will fully charge a 1600Mah NiMh battery in 2.5 hours and then automatically switch over to trickle charge to keep it charged and no danger of over charging your battery..

Smart Charger Excal.jpg

Kellyco NiMH / NiCad Peak Charger
For Use with the Minelab Pro 1600 Excalibur Rechargeable Battery

NiMH/Nicad Peak Charger for the Pro 1600 Excalibur rechargeable battery. This is the perfect companion for the Pro 1600 battery and will fully charge the battery in 2.5 hours then switch to automatic trickle charge mode. (The standard factory supplied charger will take up to 30 hours). The battery charger to battery Pod adapter that came with your Excalibur will still be used.
Kellyco NiMH / NiCad Peak Charger Metal Detector for Sale- Kellyco

The stock Excal battery is 1200 mah NiMh, the after market ones sold are 1600 mah so the charge lasts longer.....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks TH !!!

That's the direction I'll go.

So, all those things were true......

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repack cells if you have the electronics know how, my battery died in a few months due to a faulty charger, second faulty charger, I tried to contact minelab about their excalibur chargers and have yet to hear back from them

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repack cells if you have the electronics know how, my battery died in a few months due to a faulty charger, second faulty charger, I tried to contact minelab about their excalibur chargers and have yet to hear back from them

How did you try to contact them.....? You can reach them at 888-949-6522 Ex 165

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there is an alkaline pod option... the link you found is just a couple of buck higher than going through a dealer.

Minelab Excalibur Alkaline Battery Holder

Some of our customers will get the AA battery pack and use off the shelf rechargeable batteries....

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used my Excal factory charger exactly once to make sure it worked when I first got my machine. Since then I have used a Battery Tender Jr smart charger that I got at Walmart and have never worried about overcharging.

I also have the AA holder as a backup. Recommend the highest mah Eneloops + a MAHA smart charger for them.

myrtlesandman

Sep 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just bought the battery pod for my machine. I was wondering if you have used it yet and what kind of battery life you get using the 8 AA batteries?
Thank you

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, there is a new battery available for the Minelab Excal that will give you 50-60 hours on a full charge. It is a Lithium Polymer long life battery and comes with it's own smart charger... $69.99 for both battery and charger, does not come in a pod you have to install it in your own pod..... the charger is only for Lithium Polymer batteries......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread