Most common etrac target ids for gold rings

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Most common etrac target id's for gold rings

Hey guys. I have had my etrac for a little over 2 years now and while I have dug more silver with it than any other detector I have had, I have yet to dig any gold rings with it.
Just wondered what is the most common target id's for you all in the gold ring range. I dig everything around the nickel range but not so much from say 12 16 to 12 27. Is this where most of everyone's gold finds come in? I hunt in some trashy areas and while I will start out digging it all after an hour I will give up and start digging only high tones and other signals that have good potential to be coins. Just wondering if anyone has tracked this. Any help is,appreciated.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the ring anywhere from 12-03 to 12-38. so dig them all if you want gold rings

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks. I know they fall in that range but just wondered if there was a more common target id that pops up than others. That way after I get tired of digging it all I can still concentrate on that range most common for gold rings. It could be that no one has done it but it would be interesting to see if data exists out there.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all over the place. We all wish there was a magic way of making them appear in our plugs.. But sadly no.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want gold, you have no choice but to dig all the conductive trash. Every ring is different in size, shape, purity and the metals used to harden it.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There a fellow that posts here that has taken the time to make a very extensive chart. He classifies his rings by carat/composition and size and it is very enlightening. Yes, gold rings are all over the map, but there are some interesting trends as well.
Sorry, but I cant remember his name. It hasn't been too long since he posted a link to the chart if you want to do a thorough search on the eTrac and CTX (he's posted in response to both machines iirc). I've also seen his chart referred to on other forums fwiw.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dug a gold ring 3 days ago that read 12-01! Tiny 14K band. I've found some real nice gold and platinum rings that read 12-02. I've also had them on the other end of the scale with a big man's 18K that read 12-34. I've even had the ferrous numbers range from 10 to 14 on gold also, so as you can see, you'll need to dig a lot of trash to get the treasure!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There a fellow that posts here that has taken the time to make a very extensive chart. He classifies his rings by carat/composition and size and it is very enlightening. Yes, gold rings are all over the map, but there are some interesting trends as well.
Sorry, but I cant remember his name. It hasn't been too long since he posted a link to the chart if you want to do a thorough search on the eTrac and CTX (he's posted in response to both machines iirc). I've also seen his chart referred to on other forums fwiw.

I remember seeing that. It was from a beach hunter who had hundreds of gold rings. He scanned each one and posted a list of the FE-CO numbers with how many rings read as that. Even though they did spread from 01 up to 36 or 38, there was a few number zones where most of them fell into.

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012

That is exactly what I had hoped someone had done. Although I know gold has the potential to fall anywhere from CO 1 all the way up into the 30s I wondered if there was something like this out there. I have dug a ton of trash but no gold so far.

Thanks again.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you "digging"?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The gold rings I have found hit in the 20's, they were average sized bands. My class ring comes in at 34. Tiny ones are lower, fat ones are higher. As soon as you decide to only try to hunt one number, the ring will be a different number.

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I guess I just need to start digging everything all the time and not just some of the time. I definitely want to start digging jewelry and up to this point my jewelry has consisted of the silver variety. Just gotta get disciplined and dig it all I guess.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally just can't dig it all. But what I do is dig everything until I am worn out then I remember where I left off on digging it all then comeback later to pick up where I left off.. Some places just have so much trash it is overwhelming to dig it all all the time..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I just need to start digging everything all the time and not just some of the time. I definitely want to start digging jewelry and up to this point my jewelry has consisted of the silver variety. Just gotta get disciplined and dig it all I guess.

The trick is to dig it all only when your at a spot that people loose jewelry regularly or you will just be bringing home bags of trash. Beaches, swimming holes or soccer, baseball and football fields if you inland like me. If your not in a good spot the silver works fine though :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's one chart I've run into - pretty close by experience:

ETrac Target Card Sheet.jpg

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
The trick is to dig it all only when your at a spot that people loose jewelry regularly or you will just be bringing home bags of trash. Beaches, swimming holes or soccer, baseball and football fields if you inland like me. If your not in a good spot the silver works fine though :)

That is pretty much where I hunt, but I have found it hard to be disciplined to dig it all. I am going to try and dig every signal for the duration of the next hunt and see what happens. I can't say I will be able to do this everytime, but the more junk targets I dig will increase the chances of finding gold.

As soon as I dig that first piece of gold, I will be sure to post it along with thanks to everyone that gave feedback on this.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one chart I've run into - pretty close by experience:

View attachment 1240685

Also as a side note... The last ring I dug came in as 7-8 Fe instead of a 11-12. It was laying flat. I also noticed air testing several other rings that this would happen on occasion. Don't know if it tries to read the thickness of the band or what as it is thin laying flat.

TripleNickel

Mar 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I primarily hunt for coins in trashy areas and I only have the patience to dig for gold for a short time before I get tired of digging junk. So, what I do to increase my chances of finding gold without burning out on it is: dig every solid co. 12, 13, 14, plus 30 and above and maybe add a couple of others. This way I'm adding in a few numbers that aren't typically coins and could potentially be gold. Also, instead of thinking about the magic gold number, maybe start eliminating the really common junk numbers. For me, co 11 is almost always a beaver tail(and there are tons of them). I realize I probably walk over gold once in a while and maybe a lower conducting nickel, but in these trashy parks, you could easily spend all day digging up trash and miss the opportunity to find some silver

Just my 2 cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread