Nel sharpshooter coil for etrac

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Hey guys. I took out the sharpshooter coil today for the first time after getting it for Christmas. It wasn't the easiest to thread up the shafts but after tying a string to the cable and pulling it thru, I was able to connect it. It pinpoints really well, but it is definitely an application coil for those areas that are very trashy. I did notice that pull tabs and beaver tails are hard to distinguish sound wise (at least to my ear) from nickels. With the stock coil, there is a slight waviness in the sound of a pull tab or beaver tail, and a nickel will sing thru with a smooth signal. Not so with the nel, they all sounded smooth to me. I didn't notice any difference in tone on the pennies, dimes, or quarters, those were pretty consistent. Does it get my endorsement? Yes, but you would think the folks at NEL would have duplicated the cable on the stock coil as much as possible to make it easier to snake up the shaft. That plus the nickel issue are the only somewhat negative things I have to say about it. I am glad to have it in my arsenal and I think it will be great at old Cellar holes, but the stock coil will be on my etrac most of the time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an extra lower shaft. That will make swapping coils a snap. As for trying to distinguish nickels from pull tabs from slaw from gold rings.....are you relying on the detector to tell the difference? You're going to miss out on some great jewelry if you do. Depending on depth and ground conditions, those sounds and readings can vary quite a bit. Even if it reads 12-16 and I "KNOW" it's a pull tab, I'll dig it anyway. I've gotten some pretty nice gold rings with that reading too.

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
No I am digging it all. Just an observation of paying attention to those signals and noticing all signals are cleaner than with the stock coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread