CTX3030 stock coil question

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still pretty new to this 3030. I've been doing a lot of beach hunting and the coil is filling with fine sand.

This is the stock coil. Does the cover come off? It's flexible in some spots and I can let some sand out, but seems pretty stuck in others.

Normal?

How to get the sand out...

IMG_5417.jpg
IMG_5418.jpg
IMG_5420.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it comes off. It can grip pretty hard on spots, but just keep rolling that edge out and down.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it comes off. It can grip pretty hard on spots, but just keep rolling that edge out and down.

Thank you, got it off. I just wasn't sure, and didn't want to break anything.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That cover will fill up with dirt fairly quickly with use because it is so low and the recesses in the coil fill with dirt. I clean mine about every 3 outings and it amazes me how much stuff comes out.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That cover will fill up with dirt fairly quickly with use because it is so low and the recesses in the coil fill with dirt. I clean mine about every 3 outings and it amazes me how much stuff comes out.

I bet if you put a bb or a paper clip in the cover of your buddies 3030 you could really screw with your hunting partner... just a thought.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us seal the sand/dust/dirt out with a thin bead of silicone sealing the cover to the coil. That way you really only need to remove the cover once a year just to be sure that it's still clean in there. To remove it you only need a razor knife. Then you roll the old silicone off the coil & cover before re-sealing.

On smaller non-spoked coils (like a Joey or 6") I just use vinyl electrical tape around the circumference to seal 'em and keep the crud out.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet if you put a bb or a paper clip in the cover of your buddies 3030 you could really screw with your hunting partner... just a thought.

Thats just messed up! I like it! :occasion14:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us seal the sand/dust/dirt out with a thin bead of silicone sealing the cover to the coil. That way you really only need to remove the cover once a year just to be sure that it's still clean in there. To remove it you only need a razor knife. Then you roll the old silicone off the coil & cover before re-sealing.

On smaller non-spoked coils (like a Joey or 6") I just use vinyl electrical tape around the circumference to seal 'em and keep the crud out.

It has been over 10 years since I have hunted with any type of coil cover...and will NEVER do so in the future. Take marine epoxy and paint a thin layer on the bottom of the coil........refresh when necessary.........HH

Dave

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been over 10 years since I have hunted with any type of coil cover...and will NEVER do so in the future. Take marine epoxy and paint a thin layer on the bottom of the coil........refresh when necessary.........HH

Dave

How often do you refresh? Guess it would depend on how often you hunt and what type. Why are you so opposed to the coil covers? Just thinking the crap that gets in there causes interference?

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do you refresh? Guess it would depend on how often you hunt and what type. Why are you so opposed to the coil covers? Just thinking the crap that gets in there causes interference?

Yes, I first learned how little soil it took to loose sensitivity when doing dirt hunting 15 years ago. If you are salt water hunting it may take only an hour if the conditions are right to mess up your detector function. There are too many inches in seems to correctly and with 100% assurance that a silicone job will keep all water and soil out of a cover. Ditch the cover and put marine epoxy on. I can beach hunt all year and not need to refresh the epoxy it is very tough. Rocks and course material will make it ware more. If there is any black showing of the original coil just apply a light coat so no black is showing.

Dave

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread