Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info, I'm just real surprised that with a $1500.00 machine , the charger it comes with has no indicator and leaves you guessing as to when the battery is full, or even worse a good chance of overcharging the battery. Is the smart charger that kellyco sells ok for this type of battery? {example, will a quick charger shorten the life}

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery on this one hasn't been charged for about 2 years. I just charged it for a couple hours, unplugged and and tested the voltage which is reading around 13.6. Is that normal for a battery that hasn't been charged for a couple years? Also, any idea how to remove the battery from the pod?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery is sealed in the pod. If you want to remove it, you have to cut through the seals and you will lose your waterproof capabilities unless it is resealed.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I wanted to buy the spare battery as shown in the picture below {$59.99}, I have to buy the entire battery and pod as one unit for $159.99?

Battery.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info, I'm just real surprised that with a $1500.00 machine , the charger it comes with has no indicator and leaves you guessing as to when the battery is full, or even worse a good chance of overcharging the battery. Is the smart charger that kellyco sells ok for this type of battery? {example, will a quick charger shorten the life}

Manual tells you to charge 12-14 hours with stock charger. I used it for 8 years with no issues, gave over night charge before each hunt...

Smart charger works fine on battery, gives full charge after about 3 hours and switches to trickle charge and can be left on. Also has indicator led to show when charged...

The battery is sealed in the pod. If you want to remove it, you have to cut through the seals and you will lose your waterproof capabilities unless it is resealed.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Battery is not sealed, under the end cap cover are 2 set screws that are removed with allen wrench, end cap is pulled out and battery is swapped out. When set screws are put back in be sure to stop when set screws are flush with pod...

O-ring on end cap is what keeps it water proof, the rubber end cap cover is then put back on with silicone then heated with heat gun to seal it, even without the rubber end cap battery pod is waterproof as long as o-ring is good.

So if I wanted to buy the spare battery as shown in the picture below {$59.99}, I have to buy the entire battery and pod as one unit for $159.99?

View attachment 1269824

No, you can just buy the battery and swap out existing battery with new battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone. What do you think of this battery for $35.00 vs the overpriced minelab pro 1600 for $59.99?. This company also makes a $20.00 charger for it that tells you when the charge is complete, as opposed to the 30.00 minelab guessing game charger. Anyone use this maxxpack brand?

http://www.maxxpacks.com/index.php?cPath=175

Looks to be the same exact charger Kellyco offers for $29.95

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your original battery probably will work ok, but just not last as long as it was when new. As for the aftermarket battery... its probably fine as long as the voltage is correct. And since you have an older unit you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voltage on the aftermarket is 12v. Is the excal 2 the same machine as the 800?? How do I know which one I have? It only says excalibur 2 on the side. I'm assuming the 800 and 1000 are different models?

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for all the questions, trying to educate myself and get familiar with this machine. My first water detector.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
800 has 8" coil, 1000 has 10" coil.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

There is no little profits :unhappysmiley:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just charge it overnight and you are fine.

You can use a voltmeter if you have OCD and need to know the exact voltage but that is really not necessary.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fully charged battery should read between about 13.7-14.5 volts with volt meter right after full charge.... You can also read voltage when it is turned on by removing ikelite gasket, should drop about a half volt or so .

Most of us just charge it over night before we hunt like Fletch advised...

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just surprised that this battery that has not been charged in 2 years would read around 13.6v after a 2 hour charge the other night. Dropped slightly overnight, this morning read 13.5

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just surprised that this battery that has not been charged in 2 years would read around 13.6v after a 2 hour charge the other night. Dropped slightly overnight, this morning read 13.5

Battery sounds good....To be sure, put it on detector, remove the ikelite gasket and measure voltage when detector is turned on, it shouldn't drop much at all...

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, what is the ikelite gasket?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, what is the ikelite gasket?

Gasket that is on the battery cable connector that plugs into battery, by removing it you have enough room to plug in cable and test the power with the detector turned on to see if turning it on pulls the voltage down low...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just take it out and use it. It's the only test that's going to verify how long it lasts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread