CTX-3030 Leaks

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two batteries die which is getting expensive.
Don't know if it was to leaks but I am getting ready to take them apart and see what the issue is.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had my older CTX leak, but updating the O-ring certainly isnt going to hurt. Wish I had the new model just for peace of mind though.

OP
OP
Digger Max

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if it was to leaks but I am getting ready to take them apart and see what the issue is.

One bad battery is one thing but 2 is a run of bad luck. Hopefully you are good to go now.
No battery issues here. HH

OP
OP
Digger Max

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had my older CTX leak, but updating the O-ring certainly isnt going to hurt. Wish I had the new model just for peace of mind though.

Good to hear that you haven't had a leaking issue. Just curious about the leaking. I'm sure the problem has been fixed but warranty or not I would rather not have the problem. HH

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have the new hardware model, and I understand that the gasket is thicker than the first version. I am hesitant to alter the unit before dunking it for fear of warranty issues, but it looks like the o-ring kit is widely used.
Digger Max, are you planning on shallow water hunting? Diving?

I am taking mine shallow water hunting soon, so I will be doing the USB o-ring, not sure about the battery yet.

OP
OP
Digger Max

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the new hardware model, and I understand that the gasket is thicker than the first version. I am hesitant to alter the unit before dunking it for fear of warranty issues, but it looks like the o-ring kit is widely used.

I am taking mine shallow water hunting soon, so I will be doing the USB o-ring, not sure about the battery yet.

Shallow water fresh water beach. Good luck on the water hunt and let us know how the unit held up. HH

OP
OP
Digger Max

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No post on this is good. No news is good news to the leaking issue but it is still early in the release of the 2016 CTX.
HOPEFULLY a post on the problem will not show up here leading us to believe it has been taken care of.
We will wait and see. HH

SurfPro

Apr 15, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Sov GT, Whites Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the USB o-ring? Haven't heard of this mod, only the battery gasket.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
SurfPro, the 2016 CTX has a black battery gasket, which is supposed to be thicker than the early version. Early version is orange.

New hardware also has a different battery pack, in that it has a rubber ridge that is intended on keeping sand and debris away from the battery seal.

There are aftermarket kits that you will find that has 2 o-rings in them. One for the battery to replace the battery gasket, and one to go on the USB port cover.

You are supposed to remove the rubber seal inside the USB cap and install an o-ring on the connector that seals when you tighten the cap.

Frogmaster has a nice video showing the installation procedure, I believe it was he that came up with this mod. He has taken the CTX to 40 feet underwater!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT remove the rubber gasket inside the USB cover. If you aren't getting simultaneous sealing on both, there is no point in replacing one for the other. If the O-ring won't let you get compression on the gasket, you need a thinner o-ring. do not "crank down" on the cover to tighten it either, you will strip and stretch the plastic threads.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Jason, I was just repeating what the instructions indicate.

I know that Frogmaster removes the seal from the cap.

I have a new hardware version unit, and I am afraid of installing either since I am under warranty, plus I do not plan on diving with it.

I just picked up an Excal 800 for that purpose!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, I know, but the cost of a CTX is nothing for him (just by looking at all the other toys he plays with). The upgrade negates the need for the battery O-ring change. Adding one to the USB couldn't hurt anything though.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it was he that came up with this mod. He has taken the CTX to 40 feet underwater!
THis is true but he does not recommend doing it.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
THis is true but he does not recommend doing it.

Really? His video has no audio on it other than music, so where has he stated that one should not follow the instructions on his video?

I guess I missed that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? His video has no audio on it other than music, so where has he stated that one should not follow the instructions on his video?

I guess I missed that.

He said it on the forums when he talked about scuba diving with his CTX.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I have not seen that.

I do not plan on diving with mine, but I am keeping my unit stock while shallow water hunting.

Hopefully the new hardware version is up to the task.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try some Coax-Seal on that USB cover. Seals tight

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen that.

I do not plan on diving with mine, but I am keeping my unit stock while shallow water hunting.

Hopefully the new hardware version is up to the task.

I don't think you will have any problems as long as you keep the seals tight, and clean them (and the channels) thoroughly every time you open it if you will be going into the water next.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are postings on here about taking the rechargeable battery apart and then tossing the batteries and installing other more reliable ones. Looked fairly simple and easy, need a bit of soldering ability though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread