Etrac review after 50 hours.

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This review will be written in a shotgun style, all over the place, opinion piece. If you’re not interested in that kind of writing please move on. Previously I had reviewed the ATPro after 100 hours and now it’s time for the Etrac!

A little about myself:
This will be season three for me in my detecting career. The last two detectors I have owned were the Bountyhunter Pro, and the ATPro International. I have a Youtube channel with 30+ videos and I take this great hobby very seriously. I recently had the option of buying a good friend’s Etrac and jumped at the idea. I had been out on many hunts with him and seen the Etrac in action, so I know what it’s capable of. However, those of you that have read my previous reviews know I tend to try to give a balanced review, if not a little critical of the hardware in general. I ‘m 45 years old and work in IT, I am the proverbial technical person that enjoys scripting, and troubleshooting complex network issues. I live in Southern Ontario Canada and hunt almost every weekend during the hunting season. I am all about history specifically finding proof of the Euro-Canadian pioneers that tamed this land. Been out already this year and found an 1850 UpperCanada Bank token and 3 silver dimes. Enough about me. Let’s get into the hardware…

Price point
The Etrac is one of the most expensive detector in the world in its category, only CTX , Deus, others… are more expensive… But does the money reflect what you’re getting? Let’s explore…The ATP International was around 700 bucks here in a Canada. I have expressed my opinion in the review that this cost is about 200 bucks over priced in my mind. The ATP is a solid detector it’s the German shepherd of the metal detecting world. But it can feel cheep but performs well. It’s tough, rugged and water proof and once you have it set up for your area and hunting style it can produce a lot of great finds. It’s simple and very light.

Comparing apples to apples?
So why change up to the Etrac? A good question… Basically hunting alongside the Etrac with the ATP I found the ATP consistently under preformed. What we discovered is that when the ATP and the Etrac go head to head the ATP will always lose out. I have seen this time and time again. We figure the difference is ten to one. My buddy with his Etrac would consistently find ten more coins that I with my ATP… In terms of silver it’s three to one.

I think we all understand the Etrac is twice the detector that the ATP is. But we also understand the saying - the right tool for the right job - and maybe the ATP is the better detector considering what you’re using it for. Obviously working on water or the need for a light detector is where the ATP will shine. But for actual targeting ID, discrimination and depth hands down the Etrac is the solution. Some will protest that comparing the ATP and Etrac is not fair, so kindly understand I am using the atp as a baseline.

Hardware criticisms
The Etrac is a heavy and a cumbersome machine. After 4 hours of hunting you may need to get the harness on. It also feels a little bit slower than the ATP and you can feel the software as it process the targets. You’re not going to find any iron relics unless you set it up for that, where as the ATP is an iron magnet unless you restrict the discrimination - good or bad…
The Etrac screen is small and just terrible out in the sun even on a gray days, I have trouble seeing the screen. Mix that in with having to water proof with a zip lock bag and you can’t see much during your hunts. You can’t tell if the back light is on or off in the day so that’s not much help…However, on the test bench the screen is fantastic and I will get into the screen a little later on in this review.
It could be my stock rechargeable battery needs replaced. But I am getting maybe 5 hours before I need to change, so I have to carry a backup Battery.., The pack is not small, 7’ long and takes 8 AAs…I do get longer battery life with standard AAs than my stock rechargeable Etrac battery…again, could be I need to replace that..
The Etrac is not water proof or even heavy rain proof. If you do hunt in the rain you’re going to need to plastic bag the module or buy a cover kit — you can expect to spend another hundred bucks on that…
The hand grip is a lot wider than the ATP so you can expect to get hand cramps, clenching the grip over four hours. Because the ATP can be held with two fingers, it’s so light…I am feeling the difference, but in time this will pass I’m sure.
The shaft with the coil wired inside is great for hunting woods where as the ATP with the coil wire lose and outside the shaft can get bumped and damaged as you hit stumps and rocks.

Let’s get into performance

In a word it’s powerful. I found out I like to set the recovery deep -on, Manual sensitivity -21 and I am very restrictive on my custom mask, I am only interested in a tunnel shape starting from about halfway and it opens up like an L shape to the right- this will not make sense if you have never used the etrac, The screen on the etrac is represents targets visually like a graph. The target will appear in the graph and each position represents a TDI or target value. You can discriminate by masking or blocking out the positions you’re not interested in, it’s rather simple really. Your non ferrous targets show up on the right, your Ferrous on the left position. Conductivity is represented from top to bottom positions. This representation is really nice and enhances the target analysis you can perform. There is no comparing the ATP to the etrac on this… not fair…This is where your money is at work on the etrac.

Ferrous & non ferrous, conductivity
You get more info about your target with two pairs of numbers. I am not sure how other non- Minelab detector measures the ferrous level of a target. But it’s the Etracs claim to fame! On the ATP you would just get one set of numbers. For example 84 (42 in etrac terms)” 84 “ in the ATP world…is a nice signal! But you never really know if you’re getting a twist-top, or a rust old nail… BUT the Etrac gives you the ferrous reading, the conductivity number 43 is a good ID, and the ferrous of 11 is very low meaning it’s not going to be a rusty nail, its likely going to be a non ferrous target! Where as a 24- 43 would likely be the rusty nail (the lower the first pair of numbers the better). The only way to do this on the ATP is to turn on the iron audio and see how she sounds… et number: 11-43 First pair of numbers is the ferrous level of the target, Second pair of numbers is the conductivity 43. This in its self should be a game changer for anyone out there that understands what I just wrote… your missing that ability entirely on the ATP…

Depth
I conducted a number of bench tests on the ET and I will share that info with you. I was most interested in depth because I feel that’s what you’re paying for. Testing with a Canadian 1901 dime at 30 cm the etrac could not hit the Dime, but at 23cm I was getting the dime at 10-43, 11-46 ids… Tested with a heavy 10k gold mans ring. At 30cm the gold ring was clearly a high tone and in the 10-42 range. This type of depth is impressive. The ATP is very average in depth testing. So right away if you share the same philosophy as I that yes coins will sink over time. The extra depth the ET provides is nice…

Pin-Point mode
The etrac is very capable and accurate pin-point mode; it is just as good if not better at sizing a target as the ATP.

Etrac exchange & etrac emulator
The etrac comes with e USB to plug into your computer and you can store settings and masks you want to keep..Rather useless but nice to have. I understand the CTX has way more capability in that area…
The etrac emulator is a fantastic tool that virtualizes the etrac on your computer and it’s great for learning the interface and testing out target IDs. You can customize your target library. If anyone is interested. I have a Canadian etrac em target library I can share, if interested let me know.

Worth the price?
Is the etrac worth 1700 — 2000 bucks? Probably not. I do think it’s still overpriced. This is a $1200 detector in my mind. But it’s got the power and versatile you need as you progress to an experienced detectorist. Will I move up to the CTX? I may… I really like the Minelab min-controllers. I think they are probably the best in the world at programming complex min-controllers. I just think they need to make them faster like the Deus…

I wanted to add the ATP is a perfectly fine detector to use for mostly anything. I have made some really great finds with atp. It’s really about where you place your self and the work you did on the research.
At the end of the day the etrac is a nice advanced machine and probably the 3rd best detector in the market! No I do not work for minelab!

Thanks for reading. Should you have any questions please let me know. I will likely have a few more posts coming as I realize what I missed in this review.
please check me out on youtube " UPPERCANADA HUNTER"

*mini controller - Microcomputer

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. Nice review.

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great review !!! The E-Trac is one fine detector .

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I get a chance every now and then to hunt with a buddy who owns a etrac. After owning a AT Pro and a T2, he is very happy with it and does fond the old silver. I have to dig all my deep targets while he can use the two screen method to decide to dig. He is getting very good with it. My F75 is deeper, and the only machine so far that can hit the same targets so far between all the many machines that his other friends use. Im fairly certain the T2 would probably hit those targets too. Again the fbs and dual screen does make a difference in our soil here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty good review. My only nits would be some of the prices you quote and your depth test. Air tests are a total waste of time. Actual ground conditions for a particular site can vary tremendously and favor one detector in one area and another detectors somewhere else. The only good way to do it is to find a deep, old, virgin target and use several machines to scan the target for depth, sound, and target I.D. As for your prices.....a rain/dust hood kit is only about $20. The price for a new E-trac here in the U.S. is in the $1500 range with good used ones available around $800. Discounts and freebie packages are also available from most dealers. For the majority of your detecting needs, which machine are you going to use, the AT Pro or the E-trac? That will tell you if it is worth the price or not.

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
V3i, CTX3030, AT Pro, Garrett Carrot, TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the end of the day the etrac is a nice advanced machine and probably the 3rd best detector in the market! No I do not work for minelab!

Not Really.

Whites V3I will dig more good targets faster than any other detector our there. You will not get any sheet metal or bottlecaps with the V3i. I have the CTX3030, AT Pro and the V3i and although I love the Ease of use, no ground balancing required and the simple interface of the CTX3030 I can tell you from experience the V3i will Consistently out dig the CTX3030 in quality and quantity every day of the week.

If you have to have the CTX3030 by all means buy it. It will find circles around the AT Pro and the AT Pro is very good. But if you really want to spend a couple of hours at a new site and dig 80-90 percent quality targets with very little trash Get the V3i. You ask how is that possible. Three Frequency Spectrograph

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not Really.

Whites V3I will dig more good targets faster than any other detector our there. You will not get any sheet metal or bottlecaps with the V3i. I have both the CTX3030 and the V3i and although I love the Ease of use, no ground balancing required and the simple interface of the CTX3030 I can tell you from experience the V3i will Consistently out dig the CTX3030 in quality and quantity every day of the week.

It's surprising how few good finds are being made with V3s then. Seems there are WAAAAY more good finds coming from the Minelab users. The truth is in the finds.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have issues with the review of the E-Trac for a few reasons. I have one and I just bought one for a friend. First the price. You can get one for less than 1200.00 in the USA from authorized dealers. I won't tell you which ones. You have to call around.

Second, I have no idea why the At-pro is even in the picture. You can't compare a 1200.00 machine to a 600.00 machine. That seems like comparing a high end vehicle to a stripped down inexpensive one. So we are not comparing apples to apples. Unless one is a red delicious and the other a crab apple. The At-Pro has no back light, no volume control, one frequency and not as deep.

In the field I know absolutely certain the E-Trac went deeper than the At-Pro. Time and time again I went over deep targets with the E-Trac and my friend couldn't even get them on the At-Pro.

I also know soil had a lot to do in the equation. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt the park in Utah with the E-trac that I hunted with my Whites Spectrum to see what I missed, if anything. I dug over a hundred barber coins out of it.

What the At-Pro has going for it is it is versatile. It can hunt underwater. It has proven itself a great machine in fresh water by a couple of my good friends here in Michigan. However, not for me as I would drown it along with the CTX if I used it. No way can I stay above 10'.

Heavy, I will agree with, cumbersome no. I did not write this to cause any problems. Just to state some facts I have seen myself. The At-pro has its place as a mid level land detector and a perfect fresh water detector for waders. I just do not think it is fair to compare it to a machine with more bells and whistles and a higher end detector. In my hunting area the E-Trac is the best machine I have used.

To be fair, I have not used the new White's. I found my E-Trac on Craigslist for 400.00 with almost two years of warranty left. It wasn't what the owner wanted. I found a killer deal.

I don't think ANY machine comparison is fair. Unless side by side with the same target. The only variable would be the machine. Soil, depth, moisture, coin orientation would be exactly the same.

Last edited:

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's surprising how few good finds are being made with V3s then. Seems there are WAAAAY more good finds coming from the Minelab users. The truth is in the finds.

For me its not about brand loyalty. One could argue for the next year on whether Whites are Minelabs find more treasure. I have all three detectors. I use all three detectors many times in the same session and location. Each has good quality's and bad quality's. My opinion is based on what works for me. Going to a site for the first time and looking for silver. This spring my goal will change I have several fields around a town established in 1815 that I am going to burn up. I can see the CTX being the superior detector for that. Digging everything I hit. And having the 12 line on the CTX just make it better. All three have there place in my arsenal and I and very pleased with the performance of them all.

I am just saying there is a Place for the V3I when taking about good detectors. Those of us who have and use the V3I know its potential and for that I say its in the top three

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me its not about brand loyalty. One could argue for the next year on whether Whites are Minelabs find more treasure. I have all three detectors. I use all three detectors many times in the same session and location. Each has good quality's and bad quality's. My opinion is based on what works for me. Going to a site for the first time and looking for silver. This spring my goal will change I have several fields around a town established in 1815 that I am going to burn up. I can see the CTX being the superior detector for that. Digging everything I hit. And having the 12 line on the CTX just make it better. All three have there place in my arsenal and I and very pleased with the performance of them all.

I am just saying there is a Place for the V3I when taking about good detectors. Those of us who have and use the V3I know its potential and for that I say its in the top three

I have no brand loyalty, I use what works. Over the years I have used Garretts, Whites, Minelabs, Tesoro, even a stupid radioshack detector when I started. I'm sure the V3 is a great detector but I hear a lot complaints about too many settings, never knowing if it's set up correctly. Like I said earlier, I look at what detector is finding the goods. When it comes to turf and old coins I would say the AT-pro is #3, DEUS is #2 and E-Trac/CTX pretty well tied for #1. Based just on what is being found. I remember when the DEUS was brand new. You couldnt even buy them here, they had to be imported from Europe. Early review were good and they only got better as more people used them. I haven't seen that with the V3. A few people really love them, but most seem to drift away from them over time. That tells me what I need to know.

denwag

Nov 8, 2015
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One reason why I hate forums for every opinion there is always someone more informed more knowledgeable willing and able to fight to the last thread to beat down someone they disagree with. The fact that I have responded means that you have to counter my response. And on and on and on. I will sign off without even making a comment about my original post and allow you to have the podium for the last laugh. I'm getting too old and to contrary to let unimportant drivel concern me. And now it seams that I have countered and you must respond. A futile effort in repeated stupidity that I am also a part of.

One last time back to you.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One reason why I hate forums for every opinion there is always someone more informed more knowledgeable willing and able to fight to the last thread to beat down someone they disagree with. The fact that I have responded means that you have to counter my response. And on and on and on. I will sign off without even making a comment about my original post and allow you to have the podium for the last laugh. I'm getting too old and to contrary to let unimportant drivel concern me. And now it seams that I have countered and you must respond. A futile effort in repeated stupidity that I am also a part of.

One last time back to you.

I WILL respond to your passive-aggressive attempt to silence me. I don't think you understand the nature of what we are doing here. This is a FORUM. The very name means that this is a place for talking, discussion, disagreements, and stating our position on various topics. If a civil discourse from a long time detectorist is too much for you, please bow out.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monkworks - It's great you want to review different detectors. The one issue I see is: Your review is after 50 hours. I can easily put in 50 hours of detecting in about 2 weeks.
It takes years to really "know" a detector and what is telling you. Just a FYI for those newer treasure hunters reading this.

"The Etrac is a heavy and a cumbersome machine. After 4 hours of hunting you may need to get the harness on". - Hmmm, I go out on 6 -8 hour hunts with no issue at all?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I WILL respond to your passive-aggressive attempt to silence me. I don't think you understand the nature of what we are doing here. This is a FORUM. The very name means that this is a place for talking, discussion, disagreements, and stating our position on various topics. If a civil discourse from a long time detectorist is too much for you, please bow out.

Jason is TN resident expert with an Etrac... Hi Jason... I understand :) Gary from Oregon

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: :occasion14: I wouldn't say "expert" but I will admit to being "very well versed" in it's use.

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All fantastic responses. Agreed 50 hours is not much time. The new season is on us. let me update in a few weeks. I few points about comparing to the ATP, its really a starting point. The ATP was great but i had to restrict the discrimination to 80% to get what I wanted. This for sure also restricted the depth and speed for the target acquisition. Again, Minelab micro computers! say tuned!

By 80% i mean i was was blocking everything except 80-98 TDI

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't already, spend some time here reading through the old E-Trac help threads. There has been a LOT of good information on operation and tips to make those deep coins come out for you. It may take some time because you have to train your brain to be the discriminator, but you can do better than stock settings.

GL&HH!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The Etrac wore my elbow out at about the 2 hour mark, so I picked up a swingy thing, and that helped.

I picked up a CTX and sold the Etrac to finagle an Excal II.

The CTX is much much better on the elbow, I can swing it all day long. It's the ergonomics of it. The Excal essentially has the same rod design as the Etrac, thus heavy. So, yesterday I ordered a straight balanced shaft for it.

I'd used a heck of a lot of detectors in my past and got rid of all of them except my very light and extremely capable 32 year old Fisher 1260X, which I still use on occasion.

But I am absolutely sold on the Minelab FBS & BBS technologies. I've said it before, you're sending intelligence into the ground - basically just as described by the OP's review.

tallyther

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2008
Waukeena, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Garrett, White's, Compass, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro, Minelab, Gilbert, Nautilis
Since you are an IT person I have a question about the cable that plugs into the E-TRAC and computer. I haven't been able to get an answer from Minelab. Is it a basic Printer cable connector end to a USB Computer connector end? I ask because I don't have a cable and no one seems to have an E-TRAC Xchange cable for sale. By looking at it I'm guessing its a simple printer cable which a have a couple of extras of. I just didn't want to hook it up and screw it up without asking first. Please send me a PM to [email protected] on your opinion. Thanks! Ken W.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread