CTX Gray Ghost headphones, removing coil inside ok?

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have done this for Gray Ghost's for excals I've had in the past, wasn't sure if it works for using on CTX too? Taking out the small coil in the glue blob inside. Not sure if the ctx speaker will still turn off with headphones plugged in after the coil is removed either?
Figured I'd ask before experimenting... gonna give the CTX another try this season, thanks

and has anyone compared the Koss yellow's to the Gray Ghosts recently? Looking for the most volume for when diving in shallow water, get's hard to hear unless loud.

Thanks OBN for the video link on the skullies

*well, couldn't resist, removing it didn't make things louder, maybe the opposite, not so sure. Did discover that they would have had issues after awhile cuz the sealant didn't cover the connections completely and water would have been entering into the wires.

**later today, did some experimenting, removed the harder white sealant/hotglue from the piezo's, then tested the volume... lot's louder without. Re-sealed the wiring and piezos with E6000 (my favorite glue) and sealed the soldered connections with liquid black tape. Not sure how long the E6000 will last, but got back some volume, louder than when they were new. Did order some yellow minelab ones to compare (trust them for diving use longevity more than the GG).

***Got the Koss/Minelab waterproofs, volume is the same level, sub par, just slight tone differences. Would trust the yellow's more than the GG. Might keep them for shallow diving.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread