D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Whites V3i and I have had nothing but problems with it so now I am looking at a different brand. I also have and At Pro.

I been looking at the E-trac and the XP Deus.. Both in the same price range. I am mostly a coin shooter and do some beach hunting but not in water over 1'

I know many people are brand loyal but I also know most guys that are really into detecting have more than one good detector.

I am seeking an unbiased opinion if anyone has experience with both

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Norm - I have used the E-Trac for many years with GREAT success, I know everything this machine is telling me. I just bought a DEUS, mostly because of the hype and how many people claimed it finds targets very deep. <-- This has not been my experience so far. I have many permissions that I have found old silver, Indian heads, buffalos etc. I've gone back to these sights, very excited I might add, with the new DEUS......Nothing. I am by no means an expert with the XP, but I have 30+ years of detecting.

I have tested the Deus at parks, churches etc. Finding tokens, coins, a bit of everything.........so I know how to use it.

Pluses for the Deus are - It's very user friendly, great compact machine, very light weight. In air tests, it does a couple inches better than the E-Trac. Though in the field, this has not been proven to me. Also, it's quick recovery really is amazing. The E-Trac nulls out on a nail for a little longer, then you can pass over a "good" target without knowing it. DEUS Fast program finds these targets. Also - wireless is great, no doubt about it.

It the end - I like my E-Trac better, because I know it. I would however, suggest the DEUS to "new" buyers as you will have to learn either machine. Maybe in time, I will learn to love the DEUS -

Hope this helps.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus is a beep and dig detector... The Etrac is amazing on coins. I love mine.
Thanks Gary from Oregon

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Coins and Beach hunting there is no question.....Etrac! If you were a relic hunter I would say Deus all the way....but it is not really a coin machine and does not do as well at the beach as the Etrac.

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks

How hard is the E-trac to get used to

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am leaning toward the E-trac. I know there is not a lot of difference in the performance of the higher end detectors. I want reliability and a versatility in a detector

Thanks so much for your input

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac is a great detector and you will learn it in no time...

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from the AT Pro to Etrac a few months ago. No problem at all. I'm having good success with it.

I like coin hunting so I pretty much started with, and have so far stayed with the Bill S. trashy park pattern. It's a very tight pattern and as such, you don't have to learn every tone and number combo of the Etrac right away. You will dig lot's of coins with this pattern but not a lot of trash. I know I'm missing some good stuff but the beauty is I can open up this pattern or change to another whenever I'm ready to. So you can take it a little at a time and not feel overwhelmed.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would really look more at the Deus , the programs are easy to update for free , they do it a couple times a year , it's like getting a new detector . They are the lightest most balance out there , and battery life is great , and easily recharged . You can also create your own programs , it really is the best of both worlds . You just need to learn the machine . It is a multi frequence machine so you can change it easily and go over the same spot for a better read .

Last edited:

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently own both machines and have to say if you are primarily a coinshooter the E Trac is the machine you want. It did not get its reputation as a "silver sucker" just by chance.
I love the Deus for relic hunting and i have been able to pick more than a couple cuff buttons out of a carpet of iron. I do think the Deus could be a good coin machine but you have to work a little harder at it.

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"silver sucker" is right. Before I got my Etrac in February, I had read posts of Etrac owners saying they had found 100 or more silver coins in a year. I was hoping I would get 20 or 30 in a year. I have already got these and know I will find a lot more this season and I'm FAR from mastering the Etrac.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 137

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a teknetics T2 for 2yrs and was very happy with it and I invited a friend with etrac to hunt my favorite park where I found silver coins here and there and my friend in one day found 6 silvers , so I bought a etrac and found 10 silvers and one gold pendant from same park. Most of all coins were 7 to 10in deep, oh a bunch of wheaty s too. My also had a deus but when back to the etrac

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Sounds incredible jimzz977. I get my e-trac today and sure hope it does well

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the E-trac, start simple - maybe a ttf program, really focus on tones, then numbers. And believe the machine! Pick around targets if you hear a high note. I think you will learn it pretty quickly and after a few hours will be very comfortable and confident with it. And Congratulations on buying a great machine!

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my e-trac today and sure hope it does well. I took it out long enough to hear the sounds and get the feel of it. Didn't find anything but wasn't out long enough and didn't know what I was doing. Will do some studying tonight and I will see what tomorrow brings. I will be going to a park where I found over $13 in clad earlier this week

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions