Minelab Go Find machines

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't hear much talk regarding the Minelab Gofinds. I thought about getting one to have on standby, but I wasn't sure if it is worth the investment. Another thing I don't like/believe. Few things I have read and heard about they say it is a detector to "keep in the car". This is contrary to everything you suppose to do in regards to keeping a machine in the vehicle.

Has anyone used a Gofind and what are your thoughts (good/bad) and has anyone had a problem with a detector after leaving it in their car?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: the go find. Ok starter detector. Liked the phone app but recovery was terrible. Can't swap coils. Can fold up compact but the collapsable plastic parts will quicky bind up if you get beach sand between them and I always felt I was going to snap off a plastic part whenever I collapsed or expanded it for use which kinda defeats the purpose. Regarding grab and go portability, probably not a problem to keep it in the car as long as it is not exposed to direct sunlight. I already own a deus, and I did not think (after trying it out) the go find brought anything to the table that was compelling vs. the deus in terms of portability or the phone app despite the very attractive price point. Certainly mediocre performance and not so great durabiluty even if you consider the relatively low price. If you want a light but durable detector with better performance for the same price point and interchangeable coils, I would go with a Tek Delta. You only lose the fold up feature the go find unless you don't mind dealing with breaking down the standard, ubiquitous interlicking pole detector frame.

Last edited:

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the 40 go find in the series. I like it, it suits its purpose. I haven't found anything notable with it yet however it doesn't have much time on it yet as I mostly use my safari. I did notice you will get some high tones out of small iron which is annoying, but the same thing happens with the safari in the soil around here. I did an air test with a silver dime and it picked it up at least 6" out which I think is good for a machine in this price range. I think I paid 170 bucks for it, with the intention of letting friends that want to detect with me use it and keep it in my vehicle for unplanned hunts. As far as leaving it in the car, my only real concern is the batteries on a really hot day. probably a good idea to take them out of the machine. Other than that the machine should be fine. There's a bunch of similar electronics in the car itself that survive the elements, right? I like the idea of having it with me, and I don't want to risk losing my good machine to theft or whatever.

theres a lot of videos on youtube about these machines. this one is pretty good that goes over the features.

also regarding being stuck with one coil, when I was researching before buying the go find 40 I stumbled upon this image:
maxresdefault.jpg
which led me to this site, where a person says they had a shop add a connector so they can run whatever coil they want.
Another coil of Minelab Go-Find 40. Photo & video | MD-Hunter Blog
I'm assuming this would void any warranty :) I will probably try to track down a connector/ wiring diagram and do this myself at some point, as I have extra coils why not put them to use?

One other thing to note is the collapsible feature can be handy in tight places a full size detector can't go or would be awkward to use. In it's collapsed form its about the length of your forearm so you can get it under low tree branches or use it against a steep hillside.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 20 series and it's still in the box. Don't really have a need for it with 4 other detectors...Got mine as a promo free...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are beginner detectors, geared toward the young, tech savvy crowd. Made to be highly portable, but not really meant for hard-core hunting. If you just want a throw-around to leave in your car and pull out for dry-beach hunts, tot-lots, park clad, etc. then it would suit you.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a 20 and a 60,20 on promo and 60 bought separately for my 11 year old. It does the job,as long as the job is simple hunting in uncluttered areas. Slow recovery as stated. I found a 7" deep penny with the 60. It's either something for the young ones or an emergency "**** I forgot my machine" detector. VERY easy to operate and adjust,no thinking required. No it's not a baby Explorer or eTrac or 3030....well,it could be a baby 3030 orphan...

jhnjet

Dec 17, 2015
Chambersburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 705, Minelab Go-find 40, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Sea Hunter, Fisher 1212x.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a vacation in Mexico. Tried to get one of my Tesoros broken down enough to fit into my checked luggage...just couldn't get it done. So I bought a 40 series go-find on Amazon delivered to my door for $116(had to apply for their no fee credit card and got instant $50 credit to my account). Bottom line...found gads of Mexican coins, some cheapo jewelry and several pieces of broken .925 jewelry. Great disc. ...no, great depth...no, great sensitivity...no. However for all I have invested in it I really was pleased . I have another Minelab, two Tesoros, a Garrett and a Fisher, so I have a decent prospective about what these machines can do and this little guy did pretty darned good, Can't wait to pack it up and go again next year.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pointman- The Go-Find series is a good entry level detector, but I think because of the unconventional approach Minelab took toward the physical design and discrimination they just don't seem to be gaining market acceptance like I thought they might. Performance is good for their class, and includes auto ground balance (not normally found in an entry level detector). They are not not going to replace your mid-level or pro-level detectors but do well within their intended parameters.

As inexpensive as they are, to have one for spot duty like some guys are doing (i.e.- "car/truck detector") seems to me to be an easy choice. I've heard no issues after leaving it in the car, but you might want to pull the batteries to keep them from getting spoiled by the heat just as a precaution.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Received a free GF 20 from Tony S. at Fort Bedford Detectors(click their link below)when I purchased my CTX 3030. I have not opened the 20 yet. Waiting for the right person i.e. neighbor kid, niece, nephew to introduce the hobby to. By the way, got a SUPER deal from Tony S. on the 3030 and LOVE the machine, just still learning the many different features of it. Dug some old coins 16-18" deep on the beach yesterday and looking forward to a South Beach or upper Keys hunt real soon.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 20 series and it's still in the box. Don't really have a need for it with 4 other detectors...Got mine as a promo free...
Me same as normsel put battery in and it played with it for 10 minutes with it put back in box.
I don't need 4 detectors either, (not counting my pinpointer).
But hay it was free, sort of. Rather would have had $75 off of the safari instead! Or a bag and Koss headphones.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Normsel, I only have one detector and hope to buy a pin pointer. Good luck and good hunter.

DennisNJ

Nov 13, 2014
Atco, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
White Coinmaster 5000d Series 2 (Vintage)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go Find 60 I like it

I like my Go Find 60. It is lighter than the AT Pro and packs small. I especially like the Bluetooth feature with my Samsung Phone and Tablet. Different sounds when using the Go Find app. I am surprised there are no other Apps for metal detecting. It works better than the AT Pro when near salt water. I find myself using this more than the AT Pro, then again I am not a die-hard serious hunter.

Skrimps

Feb 3, 2016
North Florida
Detector(s) used
LandRangerPro, Minelab GF40, Land or Sea Pinpointer, Truper Short Shovel, Harbor Freight Detector & Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works better than the AT Pro when near salt water. I find myself using this more than the AT Pro, then again I am not a die-hard serious hunter.

I heard it works well in wet sand... is it true?(All the youtube videos of wet sand hunting with the GoFinds I see are in Europe)

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard it works well in wet sand... is it true?(All the youtube videos of wet sand hunting with the GoFinds I see are in Europe)

Yes I wonder what the mineral content of their sands are. To me that would be a significant factor.
Here where I hunt the sands vary in Iron content a lot from coast to coast.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought my 7 year old Grandson Go Find 20 for Christmas.........He loves it, easy light , and first time out he did good. Money well spent 0101171308.jpg 0101171357.jpg 0101171346.jpg 0101171420a.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions