BILLW

Greenie
Sep 16, 2015
SW lower MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett ATX, Whites Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious to what some of you seasoned experts out there think, might say it would be crazy, but I have thought about it. I have used XP Deus and a used E-Trac that I have considered trading in towards a brand new CTX, and just having that one detector and learning it really well. Let me know what you think.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stay with the Deus and get a waterproof case for the control unit , Deus sells one and get some under water headphone , they have a new free program coming out , that will settle the beach hunting msistories and a couple other points . Take the money from the Etrac and buy the new coil coming out . The ctx is a heavy machine by Deus standards , I much prefer a lite easy swinging machine for long hunting days , especially when it's hot . JMHO

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I swing a CTX3030 almost all day sometimes and have never figured out why its constantly called heavy.Granted heavier than a Deus, but not a lead brick either. If you have swung an E-Trac then you would handle a CTX just fine. Also, the CTX shows you the depth and where I'm at, it's generally pretty close too. I love the thing....it finds silver.
I added a 6" coil for demo lots and it was a game changer. On it's way is the 17" for extra depth on the older sites and the beach for extra coverage.
If you can get a package with the extra coils...do.........their kinda expensive.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just sold 2 of my favorite machines and purchased a CTX last month. Still learning the CTX, but love it so far and it's no heavier than any other Beach machine I've owned. It's also very balanced, streamlined and compact. And the GPS is a great feature. GL

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to hang on to the Deus if your sites are loaded with iron trash.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think with the Deus and the E-Trac you'd have the best of both worlds... I hear the Deus is a great trashy area machine and the E-Trac as I am learning is a real coin hog. I know the 3030 has a gps witch would be very desirable but your giving up a lot to get one machine.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I sold my XLT, MXT Pro, Xterra, a Tesoro and a pinpointer to pay for half of my CTX.

And...I love it.

I would add that if you are not water hunting, then you might be missing out on some of the value of the CTX.

That is your call, but life is short. Buy a nice metal detector!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep the Deus for land and get the ctx for water and as a land backup

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I advise you to go for it. At 73 years old and in the last 4 years with a CTX have dug over 24,000 coins, maybe a hundred plus rings and another hundred plus pieces of silver jewelry I think I can say that after using an E-trac and Excalibur
the CTX is the best of both worlds. IMHO the most accurate id of a target in the ground of any machine! It is a tad heavier than others but it is well balanced. I have all three coils and when you swing the big one, the 17" you maybe should be in water as it will take a load off the arm.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id love to try a etrac or ctx but I think Ill have a hard time sticking with a detector that weighs three times the Deus. Id have to make some pretty good finds on my old sites to justify the switch. The ability to use the ctx in salt/brackish water is most appealing

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing a CTX3030 almost all day sometimes and have never figured out why its constantly called heavy.Granted heavier than a Deus, but not a lead brick either. If you have swung an E-Trac then you would handle a CTX just fine. Also, the CTX shows you the depth and where I'm at, it's generally pretty close too. I love the thing....it finds silver.
I added a 6" coil for demo lots and it was a game changer. On it's way is the 17" for extra depth on the older sites and the beach for extra coverage.
If you can get a package with the extra coils...do.........their kinda expensive.

My guess would be either , you have no injuries or you are not old enough for it to be a problem . Unfortunately , I suffer from both problems . JMO

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Lockster, do you feel the 6" coil is any different than the 5x10 coiltek? I have that one and it seems to have a fairly compact response pattern. I was wondering if you (or anyone) had used both??

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beerguy, I dont have the 5x10 so I cant speak from experience. I would go so far as to say that....if I had it to do again, I would have looked longer and dug around to see how the 5x10 was doing for people, but the 6" is awesome. My thinking was due to the fact I hit a lot of demo lots and have to wade thru a bunch of trash, the 6" was the way to go.
By the way, I totally agree with you on the water hunting. Whole lot less targets out there and the ones that are, are more likely to be good.

The CTX speaks Minelab.....not Garrett, Whites or any other language. Be patient and the silver will come. I wanted to chuck mine in the creek at first.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
CTX with the 11" Stock Coil weights just over 5 lbs. Even less in the water...

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking, does Bill have a back up detector? You have 2 great machines already. What if the CTX breaks down, it could be a long wait for repairs.........
I say detect this season with both your machines - sell your gold & silver at the end of the year and buy an Excalibur next year.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded an Etrac straight up for a DUES. I don't think I would trade both of your machines for a CTX. Watch for used CTx's and get one for your Etrac plus a couple bucks and save your Deus.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me I like the CTX better than the Deus, but I mostly coin shoot. I love the lightweight, portability of the Deus and with the audio cranked way up and using the 13" coil, I've dug items in the 12" depth, but I've also done the same (not as easily) with the big CTX 17" coil.

Regarding the elliptical CTX Coil Tek coil, I don't think it performs any better than the 6" Mine lab coil. It covers more ground, but you do sacrifice some ability to get right up against rocks, etc, than what you do with the 6" round coil. If I saw a good deal on either, I would get either one, but considering the same price I prefer the round coil. I would even entertain trading my elliptical for the 6" with a little bit of cash simply because I can work this smaller coil a bit easier and just use the stock coil for the open areas. I mostly move slow enough to get through trashy spots withe the stock coil, nonetheless.

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out this weekend and used the 6" in among mesquite, thorn brush, cactus and previously mowed down stobs. It was great. The elliptical wouldnt have gotten in there as well.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Keep the Deus for land and get the ctx for water and as a land backup

This man is very wise!

I own both and will say without reservation that is exactly what I would do. You would have two of the best on the market.

Just the view from my foxhole...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions