Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still works while underwater but you cannot hear it. I tried it in a pool and no go! Have to have waterproof headphones

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What Fletch said below. Or use the wireless module...

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait a minute, if I snorkle in shallow water with the CTX, I won't be able to hear the speaker?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't in a freshwater swimming pool at 1" or 3' deep in a very quite environment

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...., no you can't hear the speaker underwater which is why you want to have the water proof headphones.

Last edited:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at the 3030. I was told that the internal speaker does not work while underwater. Is this true? So you are in the water waist deep. Speaker works. Go under water or splashed heavy by a wave and the speaker quits working? I am understanding that right? Thanks for the help.

Why would you want the speaker to work while at the beach? It would be pretty obnoxious to the beach goers would it not? Plus a good wp headphones would help you to hear the sounds better.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you want the speaker to work while at the beach? It would be pretty obnoxious to the beach goers would it not? Plus a good wp headphones would help you to hear the sounds better.

Not so much on the beach but under the water at the beach. I guess I want it all. You would think you pay big $$$$ for the 3030 an under water machine and now I have to buy underwater HP. Why cant they put underwater HP on the 3030 and why cant minelab put a workable shaft on the excal?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much on the beach but under the water at the beach. I guess I want it all. You would think you pay big $$$$ for the 3030 an under water machine and now I have to buy underwater HP. Why cant they put underwater HP on the 3030 and why cant minelab put a workable shaft on the excal?

Have you ever seen an UW detector that used an external speaker? They all use waterproof headphones.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The speaker works while underwater you just cannot hear it. It really is a matter of physics not what the manufacturer did or didn't do.
I thought I could use it at a quiet freshwater beach without headphones but could not even hear it in my pool. You can forget even trying it in the ocean with waves and turbulence.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't quite get what your trying to do. You have the deus, and you want a water machine? Are you going to keep the deus or trade it in? Get the excal if you plan on keepin the deus because then you have the perfect water machine. The 3030 is only good for so deep and the excal is good for way deeper plus its a bit of a savings. How close to the beach are you anyways...!

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is physics at play, but there is engineering that can get around the physics that can make speakers work underwater. So... there is something they can do. Now, it would cost more and it probably be more heavy due to more power to push the speaker. My issue is I was just surprised that an underwater machine did'nt have a speaker that worked underwater, but needed to buy something else for it to functional underwater. It gets expensive

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also tried it with an ATPRo with same results.

Yes everything to do with the CTX is high. I like the FBS units because of more coil, rod and x-1 probe options and the Excal for all waterwork.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen an UW detector that used an external speaker? They all use waterproof headphones.
No. I am very new to all this. I have nt even seen an underwater machine. But just because I have nt seen it or no one makes one... yet, does nt mean it cant be done. Headphone are small speakers. Like I said earlier, I guess I want it all.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't quite get what your trying to do. You have the deus, and you want a water machine? Are you going to keep the deus or trade it in? Get the excal if you plan on keepin the deus because then you have the perfect water machine. The 3030 is only good for so deep and the excal is good for way deeper plus its a bit of a savings. How close to the beach are you anyways...!
I am keeping the deus. I want a good water machine. It will be either the excal II or the 3030. I am torn between the two. Both are great machines...both have short comings. Excal II sorry stick, 3030 sorry HP. Either one you gotta buy something else.

Last edited:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am keeping the deus. I want a good water machine. It will be either the excal II or the 3030. I am torn between the two. Both are great machines...both have short comings. Excal II sorry azz stick, 3030 sorry azz HP. Either one you gotta buy something else.

While looking at the deus, it has different price ranges starting around 7 bills. Really no difference in the two minelabs as they come somewhat complete. Sorta like buying a car, you can get the stripped model or the bells and whistles model.

There are three water detectors I like, 1) Excal, 2) Aquascan 3) Fisher CZ-21.

You have to remember, with a little extra outlay, you have what you want. A couple of good finds and you just paid for what you have or you made the wife smile! :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You want a good water machine, go with the Excal II. It was born for the water. The CTX is good for water, but if it's used, you'd need to make a few mods - a long thread by Frogmaster (a member here).

Watch the for sale forums here and you can pick up a used one for less than new money. The first thing I would recommend to you is start a serious search of threads here concerning use and expectations of the beast. I did go with a straight rod from Plugger to balance the weight, as the curved rod get's to my elbow within an hour of swinging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread