Excal II pinpoint question

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the signal supposed to fluctuate while in pinpoint mode? Even when resting on the sand, mine warbles. As I swing it, constantly shifts just barely but it makes it hard to tell if it's detecting a deep target with a slight change it pitch or just simply wavering. It signals good on a legitimate target but sounds even better when switched to discrimination. Is this normal??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are your asking if threshold is suppose to waver or pinpoint signal?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of my Excals do just the opposite......stable in pin point, but, will "talk" a bit in disc depending on how nasty the ground/sand conditions are.

OP
OP
D

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My disc threshold is the one that's stable and my pinpoint chatters. Tried in the surf today and the fluctuations were just unbelievably wild with each passing wave. is that normal?? anyhow I couldn't use pinpoint in the water at all. on land I did a grid test of disc vs pinpoint and pinpoint came up a winner finding items at 10-12" that disc never knew was there. I reduced the perceived chatter by lowering the threshold to almost unheard. I could still hear it fluctuating but it didn't bother me as much. when I do pass over a target in pinpoint, it will give a good signal. it's just putting up with the noise until I do that's troublesome.

OP
OP
D

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did a test yesterday morning, pinpoint vs discriminate. pinpoint found targets in the wet sand 8-12" down that disc never knew were there. turned threshold way way down in pinpoint, below my normal range, to where I could still hear the peaks of the warbling and I made smooth, even swings and that also helped. hit the surf in the afternoon in pinpoint but every wave in and out made the threshold surge and made any attempt in finding a target futile. any help on what to do?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did a test yesterday morning, pinpoint vs discriminate. pinpoint found targets in the wet sand 8-12" down that disc never knew were there. turned threshold way way down in pinpoint, below my normal range, to where I could still hear the peaks of the warbling and I made smooth, even swings and that also helped. hit the surf in the afternoon in pinpoint but every wave in and out made the threshold surge and made any attempt in finding a target futile. any help on what to do?

How deep was the coil, if it was less than about 18 inches then that is normal as the surf rolls over coil, it your waist deep and have that then there is an issue.

Pinpoint is deeper than discrimination, there is no argument there which is why many of us hunt in all metal then switch to desc when target is found to see if it is iron. If you turn your threshold down in PP as low as you can so that if you turned any further you would have no sound this allows you to hear the very faint signals you otherwise would not hear...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread