Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping this isn't the kiss of death for my CTX

I hunted earlier today and my screen was perfectly fine. I go to download a new program and this grey streaking appears on the left side of the screen. Turned the machine on and off a few times and took the battery off and it's still there. The machines out of warranty, so, I live with it or pay to have it (whatever it is) fixed. I'll send an email to Minelab tonight and then call tomorrow and get a diagnoses. First time I've ever had an issue with a Minelab, this really bites!!

Attachments

• IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 120

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Would be good PR if Minelab took care of it for you gratis. Are you listening Minelab? GL Dan...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the repair center at Kellyco, they are the repair center for Minelab.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, puppy needs some technician tweaking.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like it needs a new display from my chair. easy fix for a tech.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the screens correct their selves but as big a line as yours is changes are not very good it will.....

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with Marty @ Minelab, looks like $187.50 for a fix. I'm waiting for a call back to see if it's still under warranty. That's not as bad as I expected, I'll be without my machine for awhile though.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happened to mine as well. Fixed under warranty.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Send that thing to Kellyco, it will be better than new when you get it back.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's off to see the wizard.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same thing happen to my V3i and whites fixed it free even though it was out of warranty.. I would think Minelab would do the same.. It's just good PR for users to brag on their service.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen to my V3i and whites fixed it free even though it was out of warranty.. I would think Minelab would do the same.. It's just good PR for users to brag on their service.

Whites is still a "metal detecting" company. Minelab was sold out to CODAN a few years ago and now they are just a subsidiary of a multinational, multi-product company which happens to be doing badly of late. They don't really care about "customer service", its all about number and dollars.

It's really a shame because they sell some of the best detectors on the market. If they adopted the CS of Whites or Garrett they would probably blow every other company out of the water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites is still a "metal detecting" company. Minelab was sold out to CODAN a few years ago and now they are just a subsidiary of a multinational, multi-product company which happens to be doing badly of late. They don't really care about "customer service", its all about number and dollars.

It's really a shame because they sell some of the best detectors on the market. If they adopted the CS of Whites or Garrett they would probably blow every other company out of the water.

Just because Whites did doesn't mean all should. They do care about customer service, but out of warranty is out of warranty.....

Try getting your transmission repaired on your car or your TV fixed past warranty end date......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck they do blow all the rest combined out of the water in revenue.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because Whites did doesn't mean all should. They do care about customer service, but out of warranty is out of warranty.....

Try getting your transmission repaired on your car or your TV fixed past warranty end date......

Thats my point. Whites and Garrett doesn't HAVE to give cheap, or free, repairs to out of warranty machines, but they often do. They do it because it makes good business sense to replace a part they pay $5 for and have a customer who raves to all their friends about how great the company is. Minelab is saying that after the warranty ends, you are going to pay full retail price plus hourly rate for repairs because they have met their obligation through the warranty period. There nothing "wrong" with that, but there are much better customer service practices they could be using.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats my point. Whites and Garrett doesn't HAVE to give cheap, or free, repairs to out of warranty machines, but they often do. They do it because it makes good business sense to replace a part they pay $5 for and have a customer who raves to all their friends about how great the company is. Minelab is saying that after the warranty ends, you are going to pay full retail price plus hourly rate for repairs because they have met their obligation through the warranty period. There nothing "wrong" with that, but there are much better customer service practices they could be using.

You don't have to pay full price, many times their repair center gives you the option of b-stock or c-stock parts if you don't want or can't afford new...

I was talking to my hunting partner Dave, man sent in 3030 he backed over with his truck, cost him just under $400 to replace everything but the coil, headphones and mother board using b-stock.

I was talking to a hunter I met while visiting Kellyco 2 weeks ago that had his ATPro in 3 times to Garrett for repairs and it still wasn't fixed correct and they billed him each time he sent it in....

You usually only read about the ones they didn't bill on, not the ones they did bill on.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to pay full price, many times their repair center gives you the option of b-stock or c-stock parts if you don't want or can't afford new...

I was talking to my hunting partner Dave, man sent in 3030 he backed over with his truck, cost him just under $400 to replace everything but the coil, headphones and mother board using b-stock.

Well thats new info for me! I will be keeping that in mind if I develop post-warranty problems!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks dan , u you can use my back up if need be

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jimmy, It'll be going to the Dr. very soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions