Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for opinions on the 6" ctx vs the 10" by 5" coiltek for the ctx

Was out hunting one of our older sites and found a 1942 S war nickel. Lots of nails and junk which just nulls out the ctx. I need a smaller coil and am looking for your experiences with either coil. I know there is good stuff there, just can't find it with the 11".
Thanks for your thoughts!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer the 6" coil myself. It seems to get closer to the edges of things and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The only advantage I feel in the Coil Tek is it covers better, but it doesn't go any deeper. It may even go less deep.

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II ...Minelab SDC2300... Minelab CTX3030 and for the missus a Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I actually love my 10X5 on the 3030. I can put the small toe of it into all sorts of small areas that would just null out a bigger coil. When I use it I am not chasing depth but chasing target separation to get the good targets to stand out amonst the rubbish. I had the minelab smaller 6 inch coil but prefer the 10x5 as being more versatile and easier to maneuver in tight areas. However that's just my opinion others may disagree.

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually love my 10X5 on the 3030. I can put the small toe of it into all sorts of small areas that would just null out a bigger coil. When I use it I am not chasing depth but chasing target separation to get the good targets to stand out amonst the rubbish. I had the minelab smaller 6 inch coil but prefer the 10x5 as being more versatile and easier to maneuver in tight areas. However that's just my opinion others may disagree.

Hey Ray, how about depth, are they about equal or does one go deeper?
Thanks!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a very new CTX user coming from the Explorer2 and I'm not sure you want the machine to null at all. An open screen in Combined with the FE line at 17 and the highest bin from 35 to 50 should get you most of the coins in there,if they're there....Recovery Fast On,Deep Off....attacking from different angles always critical in high trash concentrations with any DD coil I'm learning...I have, and have used quite a bit,all three ML coils and have had success right off the bat with all of them. Three Barber dimes in high trash in one day with the 17" monster. No kidding. A 10" 1954 Rosie directly under a 6" deep rusty 1"x3/8" bolt with the stock coil....showed up as two targets on the screen. No kidding. Deepest I've found a coin with the 6" coil....don't recall,as its the one I use the least because of the sites I hunt. I need more coverage than I do separation,at least to THAT degree.

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a very new CTX user coming from the Explorer2 and I'm not sure you want the machine to null at all. An open screen in Combined with the FE line at 17 and the highest bin from 35 to 50 should get you most of the coins in there,if they're there....Recovery Fast On,Deep Off....attacking from different angles always critical in high trash concentrations with any DD coil I'm learning...I have, and have used quite a bit,all three ML coils and have had success right off the bat with all of them. Three Barber dimes in high trash in one day with the 17" monster. No kidding. A 10" 1954 Rosie directly under a 6" deep rusty 1"x3/8" bolt with the stock coil....showed up as two targets on the screen. No kidding. Deepest I've found a coin with the 6" coil....don't recall,as its the one I use the least because of the sites I hunt. I need more coverage than I do separation,at least to THAT degree.

I'll try what your offering. Sounds like its worth a try! The problem here is, where I hunt there was half a dozen older homes. Some claim they where built around the turn of the century. The mill I hunt was built around 1874. It seems NC likes to doze the homes and push dirt on top. I have found some coins along what I can tell were walkways at one time. The ground is just saturated with junk. We, me and the misses, are also trying to find one of the oldest homesteads as it was settled around 1772. Thats why I was asking about a smaller coil. Hope it makes sense! :laughing7:

Thanks for the replys so far and looking for More!

HH!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC-If you set up in Combined it is "similar" to what the AT does in Pro Zero,except with 5 different tones instead of 4. You can set up for only 4 by making the iron bin and second lowest the same tone....voila,4 tone. The entire problem with a ton of junk is that the machines measure conductivity,as you know. They don't care if it's a coin or a bolt standing straight up. If the machine says it's a 12-45,I guess I'm digging,especially if it's been messed with and it's possible shallow targets are good! I might start out in a less trashy area just to get familiar with it. Turn on and pay attention to the Target Trace! Hold down the detect button for more than 2 seconds and the option can be selected if you haven't. You will see in short order how it works and why it is so valuable at times.

Kevin

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II ...Minelab SDC2300... Minelab CTX3030 and for the missus a Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Ray, how about depth, are they about equal or does one go deeper?
Thanks!

I find that depth wise they are pretty much the same...The 10X5 MAY have a slight advantage, it is good however for poking the toe of the coil into tight corners and here is where in my opinion (and only mine) it surpasses the 6 inch coil .....I dug this US coin about a week ago it was down about 7 inches and hard up against a rock shelve, I could only get the tip of the coil in.

The other coin unfortunately was unrecognizable.... The location of this find was on an old gold field in Australia.

008a.jpg 010a.jpg

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RayJ....That US coin is a SHIELD NICKEL,1866-1883 if my brain is working this early,it's 7:30 a.m. here. Finding one of those IN THE US is just about impossible,and you find one on the other side of the world! That's incredible! Nice finds!

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC-If you set up in Combined it is "similar" to what the AT does in Pro Zero,except with 5 different tones instead of 4. You can set up for only 4 by making the iron bin and second lowest the same tone....voila,4 tone. The entire problem with a ton of junk is that the machines measure conductivity,as you know. They don't care if it's a coin or a bolt standing straight up. If the machine says it's a 12-45,I guess I'm digging,especially if it's been messed with and it's possible shallow targets are good! I might start out in a less trashy area just to get familiar with it. Turn on and pay attention to the Target Trace! Hold down the detect button for more than 2 seconds and the option can be selected if you haven't. You will see in short order how it works and why it is so valuable at times.

Kevin

Finally figured out the exchange2. I put your settings in there and will be trying them out tomorrow! Will let ya know how it goes as I look forward to them! :thumbsup:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally figured out the exchange2. I put your settings in there and will be trying them out tomorrow! Will let ya know how it goes as I look forward to them! :thumbsup:

I hope you have a lot of success with it! Just make sure to move along at a reasonable pace,I usually swing around 2 feet per second,taking 2 seconds to go from one end of the sweep to the other,then coming back takes another 2 seconds...whatever seems COMFORTABLE is really important of course to get in that rhythm that doesn't tax the rest of your body. I also usually overlap the previous swing by 1/3 to 1/2. It's not totally necessary except for the real deep targets. Just have fun with it,I'm pretty sure you will...:) GOOD LUCK!!!

Kevin

Last edited:

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
One thing I learned from my coin garden where I buried a penny, dime, nickel, and a quarter at 8 inches is that if I swing too slow I go right over the targets with no sound and TID. I have to swing like IDXMonster stated or a little faster. Once I hear the target I can slow down and try to wiggle the TID number out of the spot.

OP
OP
NC Digger

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing is as to the swing, when I was at the beach and doing the dry sand, I was swinging like a fool! The ctx picked up everything it went over. I dug a couple dimes at 14 inches no problem with the 17 incher, and dimes at 12" with the 11 inch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread