cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford the E-trac, I'd go with that. It's much more versatile and with 28 different frequencies, you can handle worse ground conditions (including salt water beach hunting) with it. Get a tiny coil for sniping those tiny nuggets and hunting the junk piles, and a huge coil for those wide open spaces. I like the big NEL coils and the Sunpro X-5 and Coiltec Joey on the small coils.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xterra 705 is not in the same league as ETrac, ETrac is far deeper as well.......If you can swing the ETrac price wise go for it...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You already have one of the best proven nugget machines with the gb2. I would get the Etrac and the Sunray X-8 or SEF 6x8 and Sunray X-5. With the stock 11" pro and 2 smaller coils you can cover about any trashy iron laden site that you encounter. Also, FYI the Safari is a very good machine with the same horsepower/ technology as the Etrac/ Explorer without as many settings.

Last edited:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take my 705 package, I like it but would rather have an etrac. Course I'd have to drop more money than I did on my 705 setup... the 705 compliments my deus well in that the 6" and small elliptical dd coil work great in trash piles compared to the 11" the deus is equipped with.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an x-terra 705 and just got a Safari. I the xterra is outstanding. I was wanting an E-trac but decided on a Safari because first I could afford one now and second I prefer the power with simplicity. In air testing the I got the following: silver dime xterra 81/2"
Safari. 10"
Silver qtr xterra 10"
Safari 12"
Large cent xterra 11"
Safari 13"
I used the stock coil on both detectors

I expect to use both machines equally
Winter can't be over fast enough

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are nuggetshooting, the 705 with the 18kHz coil is what you want. The Etrac SUCKS for gold nugget hunting. :skullflag:

"There are detectors on the market that process multiple frequencies, most notably a number of Minelab models (ETRAC, CTX 3030) but also a few other manufacturer models such as the Fisher CZ-3D or White's V3i. There is an assumption made that these units will detect gold nuggets as well as single frequency detectors because they do process some higher frequency signals. For various reasons this does not prove to be the case. Although these models can certainly find gold items none of them are any better than most general purpose coin detectors at finding gold nuggets. In fact, they are usually a poorer choice." - Steve Herschbach Steve's Guide to Gold Nugget Detectors

Last edited:

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry.
I'm a huge ETrac CTX fan but they are one of the last detectors I would take nugget hunting.
Your GB 2 is a proven small nugget detector and so is the 705 with the 5x10 18kHz elliptical coil.
The Etrac and CTX do not have a true threshold based All Metal mode for serious nugget hunting.
I would take my cheap Tesoro Vaquero nugget hunting long before I took out the CTX or Etrac.
Other options for you might be the Fisher F19, Makro Racer 2, Gold Racer, AT Gold or one of the Nokta detectors.
All good relic, nugget, coin detectors. Just get a solid elliptical or small round coil for them.

The Etrac is best suited for deep turf old coin hunting in my opinion.
Sure you can use it for other things but there are better tools for the job.
Bryan

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a 705 gold before I traded up to the Etrac. I found more gold with the xterra than the etrac. I love my etrac but would like to have another 705 gold in the stable to make sure I was getting all the gold and silver at my sites.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the E-Trac is not a gold detector the 705 with the 18 kHz coil is a gold detector..So for gold you should listen to ..​ TERRY , Brayn V , And mikeraydj , They were right on there..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread