May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I was planning out building my straight shaft and pricing it out. As I was doing that I had an idea. I know I want the unit behind my arm, like this anderson shaft:

cache_3016991904.png

So, my question is, Can I just add a bottom piece like that to my stock shaft? Why make a straight one when I can use the stock and put the unit on the bottom? Or am I not considering something? My unit came with a waist mount, so I already have a bar and I have some 1/2 PVC that appears to be the right size too so I could use either. The MD would look like a cross between the top image and this:

n960-8000323_2f.jpg

eureka77.jpg

I already use a Whites DF and its comfortable. So I assume the Minelab could work like this too. There are 5.5 inches of space and that should be enough for stability. If it doesn't work, I was going to make a straight shaft from PVC but I am not sure its sturdy enough. Either way I need to make that bottom piece so I will try on my stock first and see how it looks/feels. I will post pics later today when I have it done.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was planning out building my straight shaft and pricing it out. As I was doing that I had an idea. I know I want the unit behind my arm, like this anderson shaft:

View attachment 1315640

So, my question is, Can I just add a bottom piece like that to my stock shaft? Why make a straight one when I can use the stock and put the unit on the bottom? Or am I not considering something? My unit came with a waist mount, so I already have a bar and I have some 1/2 PVC that appears to be the right size too so I could use either. The MD would look like a cross between the top image and this:

View attachment 1315641

I already use a Whites DF and its comfortable. So I assume the Minelab could work like this too. There are 5.5 inches of space and that should be enough for stability. If it doesn't work, I was going to make a straight shaft from PVC but I am not sure its sturdy enough. Either way I need to make that bottom piece so I will try on my stock first and see how it looks/feels. I will post pics later today when I have it done.

The Anderson shaft you have posted isn't behind you arm, it is called the Anderson over under shaft, the controls are below your forearm..... They make extensions you can add to the back of the stock shaft but they are not as comfortable as a straight shaft.. Purpose of the straight shaft is to counter balance the coil, the more weight and length behind your elbow the lighter the front of the shaft is...

Here is the Anderson straight shaft.. Anderson Straight Shaft Aluminum.jpg

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Do you think that behind the elbow is better than the over under? I like the idea of the over under and that was what I was planning to make. I feel like the behind the elbow one you posted might get in the way of me swinging but IDK I have never tried it.

"Carolina"

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2014
Va. Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Excalibur ll
CTX 3030
VALLON VMH3CS
Whites dual field
Primary Interest:
I am confused as normal. Is your question about the stock "S" shaft that comes with the Excal.? If so I see no reason why you could not modify to over under as the Anderson shaft but you will need to mod. parts as well to space the detector from the shaft and I guess PVC 1/2" would work. My suggestion though would be to take one of your expensive detectors listed to the beach and pull a couple gold rings, scrap the rings and contact Pete Anderson and buy the over under shaft made for the Excal. It can be modified to behind the shoulder later if over under is not your cup of tea.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think that behind the elbow is better than the over under? I like the idea of the over under and that was what I was planning to make. I feel like the behind the elbow one you posted might get in the way of me swinging but IDK I have never tried it.

I'd just replaced the S shaft with a Plugger straight shaft, with controls behind my elbow.

It does NOT interfere with my swing, and my elbow sure feels a lot better with weight re-distribution.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It has never interfered with my swinging, I have tried both and I prefer the behind the elbow, of course both of my excals have the remote pinpoint switch so I don't have to reach anywhere to switch back and forth..... For me the counter balance is much better behind the elbow, I have used the straight shaft for 10", 12', 15" and 12x15" coils.... I prefer hunting with 15" coils as I get more depth and coverage.....

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why cant Minelab just build these the way users want them? By the time you spend the extra money, you would be better served buying a ctx. Then you would have a good sea AND land machine

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why cant Minelab just build these the way users want them? By the time you spend the extra money, you would be better served buying a ctx. Then you would have a good sea AND land machine

It cost me $25 to make my on straight shaft, a 3030 is $1000 more......

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I do wish they would just come with a straight shaft and they could engineer a way to allow you swap out coils. I bought one that looks brand new for $800 and it came with hip mount, bag, and original box. I couldn't of gotten a CTX for anywhere near that and I wouldn't want a used one unless it has the new seals and stuff.

I am confused as normal. Is your question about the stock "S" shaft that comes with the Excal.? If so I see no reason why you could not modify to over under as the Anderson shaft but you will need to mod. parts as well to space the detector from the shaft and I guess PVC 1/2" would work.

Yes this is exactly what I am talking about. I want to try it because it will literally cost me $5 to try out. 1/2 pvc + fence clamp.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It cost me $25 to make my on straight shaft, a 3030 is $1000 more......

Well most people end up spending more then that but you still have to buy a different machine if you do any land hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well most people end up spending more then that but you still have to buy a different machine if you do any land hunting

But you don't "have to" is my point..... I bought 2 aluminum deck boom handles from a marine store for $20 each, a pair of handle bar extensions from a bike shop for $10 a pair, drilled holes and that was it, $25 each for my straight shafts....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Absolutely the only way to run an Excal! I made mine from aluminum tubing and handlebar extensions (Joe Beechnut design) and plugger heavy duty armcuff. . View attachment 1315899 d View attachment 1315902 View attachment 1315903

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a buddy's O/U shaft for about an hour and it is better than stock but nowhere nearly as balanced as rear mounting the control pods. The curved handlebar extension with diamondback grip is also the key to making it neutrally balanced.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Well I had an aluminum broom handle in my garage with no broom so I am just making a straight shaft. So far I have spent $16 on screws, pvc, and a bike handle bar but need 2 more parts - ...the arm cuff and the little spring locks for the battery/casing unless I should just use stainless steel screws?. Any good places to get them? I searched ebay but the cuffs were around $30 and spring locks were all in china.

I may also get some marine paint and paint it when its done because the aluminum shaft is bright red lol

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pull the spring locks out of stock shaft with a clothes hanger or piece of tig wire with a little J hook bent on the end. If you can find a welding supply store most of them have some steel, stainless and aluminum tubing/pipe.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had an aluminum broom handle in my garage with no broom so I am just making a straight shaft. So far I have spent $16 on screws, pvc, and a bike handle bar but need 2 more parts - ...the arm cuff and the little spring locks for the battery/casing unless I should just use stainless steel screws?. Any good places to get them? I searched ebay but the cuffs were around $30 and spring locks were all in china.

I may also get some marine paint and paint it when its done because the aluminum shaft is bright red lol
Have you checked to be sure it is perfect fit for lower shaft?

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Have you checked to be sure it is perfect fit for lower shaft?

Yes I tested it on the dive shaft. It was a pretty good fit. There is a hair of wiggle room similar to my cz21 stock so I don't think I will need to do anything else for it

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Here is the draft.

I still need to order an arm cuff, any suggestions? Or should I just use the one on my stock shaft? With the sping locks and handlebar my total is $22.45. I am going to get some marine paint to paint this thing so that will run another $12-15. One thing I should mention is that if you are building 2, its even cheaper because when you order the bike handlebars you get two, you have extra PVC, extra paint, etc.

File May 22, 9 44 52 AM.jpg

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
I'm still manufacturing these Shaft Balancers and selling them for $20 to TNET Members only at that price.

***LIFETIME WARRANTY***FREE USA SHIPPING***ALL SYNTHETIC PARTS-NO CORROSION***
Give your arm a break! Don't replace your shaft, save your $$$. Move the Control Pods back, behind your elbow for that perfect feel and balance! The built in Cord Keeper will protect your headphone cord. The extension is 14" overall including the Cord Keeper and includes all hardware needed for installation. Just remove the end cap on the top of the arm cuff, slide the extension in and bolt it on. This inexpensive modification balances your Excalibur, protects your power/battery/headphone cords (when installed as noted in the photo) and enhances your hunting adventure!

Send payment via PayPal Gift to: [email protected]

Excalibur Hip/Chest Mounts are also available. PM me with any questions. Thanks for looking

IMG_2024.JPG 20150119_151252740_iOS.jpg 20150126_120207789_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Shaft is painted. I got some discount marine paint at the boat store for $5, it was $13-$35 at lowes. I thought it would be darker blue but its ok it will fit in perfectly with the 80s theme excal colors. Still need a arm cuff recommendation if anyone has one. That is my last piece.

File May 22, 4 08 23 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread