Excal Shaft Question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Excal Shaft Question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    542 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Excal Shaft Question

So I was planning out building my straight shaft and pricing it out. As I was doing that I had an idea. I know I want the unit behind my arm, like this anderson shaft:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cache_3016991904.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	1315640

So, my question is, Can I just add a bottom piece like that to my stock shaft? Why make a straight one when I can use the stock and put the unit on the bottom? Or am I not considering something? My unit came with a waist mount, so I already have a bar and I have some 1/2 PVC that appears to be the right size too so I could use either. The MD would look like a cross between the top image and this:

Name:	n960-8000323_2f.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	1315641

Name:  eureka77.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  7.5 KB

I already use a Whites DF and its comfortable. So I assume the Minelab could work like this too. There are 5.5 inches of space and that should be enough for stability. If it doesn't work, I was going to make a straight shaft from PVC but I am not sure its sturdy enough. Either way I need to make that bottom piece so I will try on my stock first and see how it looks/feels. I will post pics later today when I have it done.
    Last edited by adamBomb; May 21, 2016 at 08:50 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    36220 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by adamBomb View Post
    So I was planning out building my straight shaft and pricing it out. As I was doing that I had an idea. I know I want the unit behind my arm, like this anderson shaft:

Name:	cache_3016991904.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	1315640

So, my question is, Can I just add a bottom piece like that to my stock shaft? Why make a straight one when I can use the stock and put the unit on the bottom? Or am I not considering something? My unit came with a waist mount, so I already have a bar and I have some 1/2 PVC that appears to be the right size too so I could use either. The MD would look like a cross between the top image and this:

Name:	n960-8000323_2f.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	1315641

I already use a Whites DF and its comfortable. So I assume the Minelab could work like this too. There are 5.5 inches of space and that should be enough for stability. If it doesn't work, I was going to make a straight shaft from PVC but I am not sure its sturdy enough. Either way I need to make that bottom piece so I will try on my stock first and see how it looks/feels. I will post pics later today when I have it done.
    The Anderson shaft you have posted isn't behind you arm, it is called the Anderson over under shaft, the controls are below your forearm..... They make extensions you can add to the back of the stock shaft but they are not as comfortable as a straight shaft.. Purpose of the straight shaft is to counter balance the coil, the more weight and length behind your elbow the lighter the front of the shaft is...

Here is the Anderson straight shaft.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anderson Straight Shaft Aluminum.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	1315666
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I excercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    542 times
    Do you think that behind the elbow is better than the over under? I like the idea of the over under and that was what I was planning to make. I feel like the behind the elbow one you posted might get in the way of me swinging but IDK I have never tried it.

us
    Dec 2014
    Va. Beach
    Excalibur 1000 Excalibur ll CTX 3030 VALLON VMH3CS Whites dual field
    1 times
    I am confused as normal. Is your question about the stock "S" shaft that comes with the Excal.? If so I see no reason why you could not modify to over under as the Anderson shaft but you will need to mod. parts as well to space the detector from the shaft and I guess PVC 1/2" would work. My suggestion though would be to take one of your expensive detectors listed to the beach and pull a couple gold rings, scrap the rings and contact Pete Anderson and buy the over under shaft made for the Excal. It can be modified to behind the shoulder later if over under is not your cup of tea.
    Last edited by "Carolina"; May 21, 2016 at 04:30 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    20757 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Do you think that behind the elbow is better than the over under? I like the idea of the over under and that was what I was planning to make. I feel like the behind the elbow one you posted might get in the way of me swinging but IDK I have never tried it.
    I'd just replaced the S shaft with a Plugger straight shaft, with controls behind my elbow.

It does NOT interfere with my swing, and my elbow sure feels a lot better with weight re-distribution.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    36220 times
    It has never interfered with my swinging, I have tried both and I prefer the behind the elbow, of course both of my excals have the remote pinpoint switch so I don't have to reach anywhere to switch back and forth..... For me the counter balance is much better behind the elbow, I have used the straight shaft for 10", 12', 15" and 12x15" coils.... I prefer hunting with 15" coils as I get more depth and coverage.....

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

us
    Jun 2015
    Maryland
    Minelab Equinox 600
    11469 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Why cant Minelab just build these the way users want them? By the time you spend the extra money, you would be better served buying a ctx. Then you would have a good sea AND land machine
    Last edited by toasted; May 21, 2016 at 01:08 PM.
    penzfan and RVRoamer66 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    36220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Why cant Minelab just build these the way users want them? By the time you spend the extra money, you would be better served buying a ctx. Then you would have a good sea AND land machine
    It cost me $25 to make my on straight shaft, a 3030 is $1000 more......

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    542 times
    I do wish they would just come with a straight shaft and they could engineer a way to allow you swap out coils. I bought one that looks brand new for $800 and it came with hip mount, bag, and original box. I couldn't of gotten a CTX for anywhere near that and I wouldn't want a used one unless it has the new seals and stuff.

I am confused as normal. Is your question about the stock "S" shaft that comes with the Excal.? If so I see no reason why you could not modify to over under as the Anderson shaft but you will need to mod. parts as well to space the detector from the shaft and I guess PVC 1/2" would work.
    Yes this is exactly what I am talking about. I want to try it because it will literally cost me $5 to try out. 1/2 pvc + fence clamp.

us
    Jun 2015
    Maryland
    Minelab Equinox 600
    11469 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    It cost me $25 to make my on straight shaft, a 3030 is $1000 more......
    Well most people end up spending more then that but you still have to buy a different machine if you do any land hunting
    penzfan likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    36220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Well most people end up spending more then that but you still have to buy a different machine if you do any land hunting
    But you don't "have to" is my point..... I bought 2 aluminum deck boom handles from a marine store for $20 each, a pair of handle bar extensions from a bike shop for $10 a pair, drilled holes and that was it, $25 each for my straight shafts....
    can likes this.

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2365 times

Excal Shaft Question

Absolutely the only way to run an Excal! I made mine from aluminum tubing and handlebar extensions (Joe Beechnut design) and plugger heavy duty armcuff. . Attachment 1315899dAttachment 1315902Attachment 1315903
    Last edited by Fletch88; May 21, 2016 at 04:20 PM.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2365 times
    I tried a buddy's O/U shaft for about an hour and it is better than stock but nowhere nearly as balanced as rear mounting the control pods. The curved handlebar extension with diamondback grip is also the key to making it neutrally balanced.

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    542 times
    Well I had an aluminum broom handle in my garage with no broom so I am just making a straight shaft. So far I have spent $16 on screws, pvc, and a bike handle bar but need 2 more parts - ...the arm cuff and the little spring locks for the battery/casing unless I should just use stainless steel screws?. Any good places to get them? I searched ebay but the cuffs were around $30 and spring locks were all in china.

I may also get some marine paint and paint it when its done because the aluminum shaft is bright red lol
    Last edited by adamBomb; May 21, 2016 at 05:42 PM.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    2365 times
    You can pull the spring locks out of stock shaft with a clothes hanger or piece of tig wire with a little J hook bent on the end. If you can find a welding supply store most of them have some steel, stainless and aluminum tubing/pipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links