May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have searched the forums but there were so many topics from 3-5 yrs ago and some I couldnt tell if they were for the excal 1 or 2 that I figured I would ask to see if things/thoughts had changed for the excal 2...

1. What type of grease should I use on the wires after use? And should I do this after each use?

2. Should I take the coil cover off to clean? How often? And how do I get it off?

3. How much does sensitivity affect depth? I have been keeping mine on max 10 but I have been reading that many have theirs much lower. I live on the US east coast and our beaches have very low mineralization for the most part. And then how much does it need to change when am in knee-waist high water. I assume I just need to balance it out but then isnt depth affected?

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched the forums but there were so many topics from 3-5 yrs ago and some I couldnt tell if they were for the excal 1 or 2 that I figured I would ask to see if things/thoughts had changed for the excal 2...

1. What type of grease should I use on the wires after use? And should I do this after each use?

2. Should I take the coil cover off to clean? How often? And how do I get it off?

3. How much does sensitivity affect depth? I have been keeping mine on max 10 but I have been reading that many have theirs much lower. I live on the US east coast and our beaches have very low mineralization for the most part. And then how much does it need to change when am in knee-waist high water. I assume I just need to balance it out but then isnt depth affected?

Thanks

1. Pure silicone, McNett Silicone Spray works good, spray every 3 or 4 hunts....

2. clean every time used, may need to clean seveal times a hunt.... If your beach is just sand. you really don't need the coil cover......

3. Are you saying you have it on max or on 10, if max, max is auto and not as deep as manual..... You don't always want to run in max, every beach is different and excal needs to be set for each beach. many times I adjust my sensitivity multiple times a hunt expecially on beaches that are quite long as conditions on mone end of beach are not the same as the other on top of which you have EMI......

Many times I am running at 3/4 sense and pulling deep targets......

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Yes 10, not auto:) I am going to head out this afternoon and I will play around more with it, especially when I get into the water.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes have to drop into auto if I am getting false signals from waves splashing or for whatever reason. Having to stop and investigate every false is counterproductive IMO.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes have to drop into auto if I am getting false signals from waves splashing or for whatever reason. Having to stop and investigate every false is counterproductive IMO.
Here is trick I have used in rough waves like you described.

You turn the threshold down so you can't hear it and keep hunting in manual which is deeper, I have done so several times and still found deep gold rings.. By turning threshold down you want hear the falsing... It is sorta like the "silent search" on the Sovereign GT....You want hear the very faint targets, but you usually can't anyway in bad surf.....

If you still have trouble then try auto....

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I got the coil cover off no problem. It was pretty clean even after me using several times so I assume the original owner kept it clean. it snapped back on but I also put a ziptie on just in case it decides to fall off when I am in the water

I bought the silicone spray suggested here and used it on the cables. I wonder if wrapping them in electrical tape would preserve them better? Obviously that would destroy resale value

I have been playing around with the sensitivity. I was searching in 6 and PP mode at one point and I couldnt pick up a deep target in disc unless I turned the sens up more. So sens definitely affects depth and PP is definitely deeper.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions