Sovereign GT Questions

Darthdetector

May 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody this is my first post on the forum, nice to meet you all. Iv found what I believe may be a good deal on a Sovereign GT for $590 . Would that make a good begginer detector? The reason I ask is it would my first one and I must admit all those knobs and switches look a bit intimidating hah. I plan on hunting a bit of everything parks, old homesteads, and occasionally the beech. I will link in the Craigslist posting so you can see the condition of the detector itseslf. Again I am new at this , all help is appreciated. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/5589861405.html

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are an excellent detector and that's not a bad price for what you're getting. With a good manual and our help :laughing7:, you should have no trouble learning it. Welcome to Tnet!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With both coils this is a ver good deal. The sovereign is one of the absolute easiest machines there is to run and one of my all time favorite machines.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great machine, great buy. Welcome to the Hobby. Good Luck and Safe Hunting...

OP
OP
D

Darthdetector

May 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alrighty then. I sent him a message, fingers crossed! Can't wait to get started.

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
I have a GT since 2009. Personally, I would not buy it for the type of hunting you have suggested. It is an incredible machine for salt water beaches. For parks and homesteads I would not even use it. I tried using one with a digital meter and I just didn't like it. My preferences when I detect a parks is my Garrett AT Pro and my Nokta Fors Core. Both can be had for around 450-500 used and both ID very good and have great target separation. The GT is all by sound so it hard to determine if it is a coin, bottle cap, or other types of objects.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SEPro that just came up for sale here is a deal and a half. The X-1 is worth $250 alone. The X-8 is about the best small coil made for FBS detectors. This detector would be more suited to land hunting and will run as good or better at the beach. The Minelab Safari is also a very good all around machine that uses same technology as the Etrac/Exolorer series without as many settings.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov GT is an excellent detector. It is the land version of the Excel, but it is so much more. At the beach it is better than an Excel if you don't take it in the water. It got to heavy for me after my stroke but is a pleasure to use with Minelab's pro Swing 45. GT.JPG Pro Swing 45.PNG

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you don't buy that thing from him I am gonna paypal him the money and have it shipped to me. lol. -Joe

Hello everybody this is my first post on the forum, nice to meet you all. Iv found what I believe may be a good deal on a Sovereign GT for $590 . Would that make a good begginer detector? The reason I ask is it would my first one and I must admit all those knobs and switches look a bit intimidating hah. I plan on hunting a bit of everything parks, old homesteads, and occasionally the beech. I will link in the Craigslist posting so you can see the condition of the detector itseslf. Again I am new at this , all help is appreciated. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/5589861405.html

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good deal with 2 coils . Don't let the knobs scare you off. I have mine mounted in a back pack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions