Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About 1.5 yrs ago I was using a CTX exclusively and considered it the best detector for colonial field hunting that I'd ever used. I figured it'd be my only detector for years to come. B4 that I had an Explorer SE. My wife wanted to start detecting then so I bought her a Deus knowing it was super light. Truth be told my initial impression from the Youtube vids was the Deus was a Mickey Mouse detector but the ratings were high and it sounded ideal for her. Clearly I was wrong about it being Mickey Mouse. When learning it for her I realized it was another top of the line choice for my style of colonial hunting. Amazingly, I found myself considering a switch to the Deus and after many hours of comparing the two, i did just that. The sole reason for the switch was the weight. After 2 1/2 decades of swinging detectors my shoulder is getting shot. I had made a harness for the CTX that worked fairly well but still left me sore. Yet the Deus was just soooo light. Anyhow, all my field testing made me realize the units seemed pretty much equal with the right settings and coil selection.

Fast forward to today - the end of another season. I was able to get back on a couple colonial sites with the Deus, where I'd previously only used the CTX. Just as I had found on my side by side field testing, the units are pretty much equal. The CTX left VERY LITTLE for the Deus to find and the items could easily have just been missed by me on the initial hunts. I had thought the Deus was better in the dense iron beds but after coming back to these CTX sites, thats really not the case at all.

So, from my experience, for those considering a switch, the Deus and the CTX seem pretty equal in my area here on the Delmarva Peninsula. I'm sure there are signals each can get better than the other but I am willing to bet they're few and far between and not worth the extra bucks of having both.

P.S. I have all 3 Deus coils.

Anyhow, I wanted to share my findings. HH from the colonial fields of Maryland...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isn't the Deus forum, but wondered what you thought about the 13x11 coil. I have the 9 and the 11 and generally prefer the 9" most of the time.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the deus, it cannot go into the water like the 3030

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this isn't the Deus forum, but wondered what you thought about the 13x11 coil. I have the 9 and the 11 and generally prefer the 9" most of the time.

Its great for extra depth in the areas where there is no severe iron contamination, especially combined with lower freq. It also does surprisingly well in junky areas. But as far as punching deeper below iron or trash its not going to do it from my experience. I use it for the outskirts of home sites where its generally clean ground. There is gets some crazy depth. Otherwise, the 11 is plenty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the deus, it cannot go into the water like the 3030
Yes, I only field hunt. No beach hunting to speak of. I do use my Deus in the rain and mud and its surprisingly resilient but I'm prob taking chances. My post is mostly for relic hunters or those wondering about depth comparison. XP (Deus) is far behind on the water resistant tech. Ridiculously so.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you still have your 3030, then you have the best of both worlds. I've found there are targets that one will see that the other misses- and vice-versa. I personally have both and use them both...

As for the water resistance, there is a kit which makes the Deus submersible. Of course you could use the kit in bad weather as well.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its great for extra depth in the areas where there is no severe iron contamination, especially combined with lower freq. It also does surprisingly well in junky areas. But as far as punching deeper below iron or trash its not going to do it from my experience. I use it for the outskirts of home sites where its generally clean ground. There is gets some crazy depth. Otherwise, the 11 is plenty.

Thanks. If I am going to get a third coil for my XP setup, was debating between the 13x11 (I do relic hunt in highly mineralized soil with and without lots of junk iron) or the forthcoming small/high frequency coil coming in fall 16 for coinshooting and beach jewelry. A hunting buddy of mine does great with the 3030/XP combo depending conditions and hunting objective and another exclusively uses the 3030 for relic hunting in the ssme "bad" soil conditions described above and have much success. I "backup" my XP with a Garrett ATX fir relic hunting in "bad" soil but have often considered getting the 3030 at some point in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread