Old 3030 vs. 2016 3030

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Call Tony S. at Fort Bedford Detectors and get the 2016 model...
Would it be better to buy an older 3030 vs a brand new model and just upgrade the gaskets? I could save almost $1k that way, or are the upgrades and warranty worth that extra money? I have never had a minelab detector before.

OP
OP
D

dcbaros

Jun 14, 2010
Kemah, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
What is your rationale? Does he offer large discounts or is it worth it to pay the extra money?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have and love my CTX - it was exactly what I wanted. But I purchased mine used on the TNet classified and saved a bunch over "suggested retail". And I fell right in step with it. I still had my Etrac, but then decided to compliment the CTX with an Excal II, and sold the Etrac & picked up a used Excal II from the TNet classified.

Mated with my more than 30 year old Fisher 1260X, I'm set.

Your choice of the CTX is a good one. However, you don't list owning other detectors on your profile (Oops, I see you've a Garrett). That CTX dream of yours is a pretty big one. Even a seasoned hunter with multiple other detector experience will have fits learning the CTX if he or she are not already Minelab devotees. The CTX is a mighty big step. Many of the ones for re-sale are because the users were frustrated with them and did not devote the time it takes to understand the language. You're not just getting a beep from a single frequency detectors. With the CTX you've 28 frequencies to evaluate and understand. They're not there individually, but meld together to give you better feedback. It's a case of looking at a target with 28 frequencies to blend into what I term as a 3D looksee. It takes a bit to understand what the machine is saying. It is as complex and configurable as the first time you ever used a computer. Huh, what, where, now what do I do ......

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Keep in mind that the new hardware setup also includes a seal on the battery that keeps sand out of the gasket area.

If you are water hunting, the seal should be your concern. If you are just land hunting, I would be less concerned with the difference.

I bought a new one, but part of the rationale is that I will be shallow water hunting and I didn't want to second guess the seal issue.

Either way, it is an amazing machine that keeps me digging very deep holes.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is your rationale? Does he offer large discounts or is it worth it to pay the extra money?

Both...and there was no price increase over the old version as far as I know.

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the recommendation, Tony. I really do appreciate it.

DCbaros, feel free to give me a call any time and we can talk about it. 571-243-5988

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be better to buy an older 3030 vs a brand new model and just upgrade the gaskets? I could save almost $1k that way, or are the upgrades and warranty worth that extra money? I have never had a minelab detector before.

If you can save a $1000 by all means do so, there is no difference in performance, you can get the upgraded gasket and everyone has to pay for the labor on the handle upgrade unless bought after Oct 16 2016, before that you have to pay for parts and labor according to Dave at Minelab repair....

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what the upgrades consist of:

1 - An upgraded battery seal
2 - An upgraded arm cuff that locks in to place much better than the original.

There is no improvement or change to the electronics with the latest model. Performance will be identical between the two.

The battery seal can be upgraded in the field... its a simple swap that can be completed on any CTX 3030 easily via a kit. If you are water hunting with the CTX 3030 this is recommended as an added degree of insurance against leakage.

The arm cuff is something which is harder to update... due to the way the new arm cuff locks into the body of the detector it requires a change of the main detector body by Minelab. This is the part of the update requiring labor mentioned by Treasure Hunter the preceding post.

Which leads me back to the OP's original question... is the difference between new and used worth it? Really only you can answer that... :) The choice is this: With new you get a full warranty and all of the updates (and better resale value too); with used you get less cost and less (or no) warranty - but with the option to upgrade the components.

Hope that helps.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what the upgrades consist of:

1 - An upgraded battery seal
2 - An upgraded arm cuff that locks in to place much better than the original.

There is no improvement or change to the electronics with the latest model. Performance will be identical between the two.

The battery seal can be upgraded in the field... its a simple swap that can be completed on any CTX 3030 easily via a kit. If you are water hunting with the CTX 3030 this is recommended as an added degree of insurance against leakage.

The arm cuff is something which is harder to update... due to the way the new arm cuff locks into the body of the detector it requires a change of the main detector body by Minelab. This is the part of the update requiring labor mentioned by Treasure Hunter the preceding post.

Which leads me back to the OP's original question... is the difference between new and used worth it? Really only you can answer that... :) The choice is this: With new you get a full warranty and all of the updates (and better resale value too); with used you get less cost and less (or no) warranty - but with the option to upgrade the components.

Hope that helps.

On the arm cuff, if a user changes the handle the cuff rides on their self they will void their warranty if it is still under warranty, it has to be changed out by the Minelab repair center to retain the warranty...

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased my CTX3030 on November 2015, just a couple months before they announced the new upgrades. I called Minelab and was told that if you purchased your unit within 90 of the upgrade, they would do the upgrades on your unit free of charge. I had no issue with the stock (old style) armrest but wanted the new style battery and seal. They did not have a supply of extra batteries when I called so I waited a couple months and called back. I spoke to Nadia who was awesome and sent me out the new rechargeable battery and several of the new style seals at no charge whatsoever. Awesome people to deal with!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread