cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So to put bluntly,,,,the10" coil is the WRONG coil for a beach or field. Maybe the water? 15" Go Deeper, right? What are some of the downsides to the 15" coil, has to be some, or they would
put on stock,,,,,seems to me anyway?

Thanks!!

One other question that I am not clear on, what again would be the setting to hit gold at the deepest dept. By reading above posts I think you are saying in
PP with sensitivity to 10 threshold to no sound would be good, but not sure if too hot to pass over some gold. I usually put mine in disc 1 sens to about 6 threshold
to just audible, will false a little while clipping water edge but no biggie. If you get null in disc. what do you do, pass up, dig, or just reset tone with scoop and go
on.

Thanks once again,,,just learning this thing now that I have time to use it.
The only downside of the two 15" coils I've used (the Coiltec 15" WOT and my current 15" NEL Attack) is resistance when swinging in the water, and hunting in a real junky area. A smaller coil will help in those situations. I haven't noticed any loss in sensitivity to small targets, including gold. If I get a solid null sound in Disc, I pass it by. Any kind of non-ferrous chirp and I scoop. I rarely hunt in Disc however because I like the added depth and stability I get in PP. You can get used to the threshold changing with each target, but, I agree, it's a bit annoying at first. Hunt in PP and you won't have that as an issue.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So to put bluntly,,,,the10" coil is the WRONG coil for a beach or field. Maybe the water? 15" Go Deeper, right? What are some of the downsides to the 15" coil, has to be some, or they would
put on stock,,,,,seems to me anyway?

The smaller the coil the easier it is to swing in the water due to less drag. The 15'' is going to be heavier and probably not very fun in moving water. I am getting the 15'' to use this as a beach machine with maybe some shallow water detecting. My CZ21 with 10inch is much easier to swing in the water for some reason than my excal so that will be my water machine. If I only had one machine I would probably just keep the 10''. I specifically got the excal to mod and create a beast of a beach machine.

One other question that I am not clear on, what again would be the setting to hit gold at the deepest dept. By reading above posts I think you are saying in
PP with sensitivity to 10 threshold to no sound would be good, but not sure if too hot to pass over some gold. I usually put mine in disc 1 sens to about 6 threshold
to just audible, will false a little while clipping water edge but no biggie. If you get null in disc. what do you do, pass up, dig, or just reset tone with scoop and go
on.

You need to play around with the settings on your machine to see how it reacts to various targets. What is best for me might not be for you based on the mineralization of your sand and environment. My experience with my CZ and Dual Field have gotten me used to a noisy machine so I have no problem running it a little hot and determining good from false signals...although this requires a different kind of hunting and its not something I do all of the time. For example, today I went out and wanted to cover a lot of ground so these were not my settings because noisy/hot sounds require me to go a lot more slow and cover less area so that I can check the falses.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hmmm. I've used the 15" WOT and 15" NEL Attack on my Excal and have found more gold and silver with the stock 11" on the CTX and stock 10" on the Excal. Ask the pro's like Gary Drayton and OBN which coil they use on their Minelabs. You may be surprised...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found more using 15" than with stock on excal, you will not get much more depth than about 12-13" on stock excal hunting in pp/all metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread