Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know each person has their own preferences. Mine for a land machine has been my deus and it has performed superb in the time I've had it. Various other machines I have are an xterra 705 with small coil assortments to assist in Uber trashy areas that the deus 11" coil has a hard time with. I have an atpro with an assortment of coils purchased to water hunt primarily with. I have a sov xs2pro for beaches but it only has an 8" coil and needs to stay dry, though it does have a meter on it.

My recent problems with my atp presumably leaking during only its third water hunt and going dead has left me questioning the necessity for at least 2 of these detectors and whether or not they can be consolidated efficiently.

The ATP struggles with wet sand for the most part unless you are on a mild lucky beach with relatively low salinity. The sov does wonders but it's small coil and inability to get wet make it useful for only a very specific purpose. Between my sov setup and at pro and coils I could likely come out most of the way to a new warrantied excalibur. I have the deus waterproof kit so my dips in local rivers can be accomplished using the lite setup with waterproof gear. My 705 will stay for high high trash areas, the ATP and sov would go and be replaced by the excalibur for freshwater lakes and wet/dry saltwater beaches and brackish hunts. Given I've never used an excalibur but love the sovs ability to go deep on wet sand while maintaining the ability to discrim targets and love (at least the published claim) that the atpro is waterproof, would I not be able to seamlessly consolidate these 2 detectors into a single more powerful dedicated water machine, primarily for beach trips?

Thanks in advance!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you are accustomed to handling the Sovereign with its' 17 frequencies, you should roll right into the Excal. I've beach and water hunt with mine - and I'm impressed.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great plan. Pull the trigger and you won't be sorry. GL and SH...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is the right choice though the Sov has more features, it's lack of water a water tight box puts it in second place.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sovereign and Excal are extremely similar and with the Excal as you know its submergible... The only thing you may miss from the Sovereign that you will not get on the Excal is the ability to change coils.

Your plan sounds like a good one. :)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I test drove an Excal last week. It is likely my next machine and I would recommend it based on my limited exposure to it. (Not to mention the number of folks on this forum that use it!)

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or... you could get a waterproof coil for the Sov if you don't need to dunk the control box.
Just sayin'

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or... you could get a waterproof coil for the Sov if you don't need to dunk the control box.
Just sayin'

One slip with the sov while hunting even shallow salt water and you just caused yourself a huge repair bill.....

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
One slip with the sov while hunting even shallow salt water and you just caused yourself a huge repair bill.....

Yep don't risk it. If you search the forums you will see so many instances of guys destroying a machine because of that one slip.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Salt air and Sea mist corrode components not made for the harsh environment. Ever see what happens to non-marine components installed in a Salt Water fishing boat? It's not very pretty...

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, it's up for sale now. Didn't want to risk poor judgement in the shallows and taking it for a dunk, hah.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread