My Safari and its love affair with crow caps

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Safari and it's love affair with crow caps

Every so often I take out my Safari dust it off and send it to the beach. I typically have 2 to 3 dedicated water or beach machines, DFX, BHID 9.5,CZ20, E2. I try to use them all as much as I can to become proficient. Yesterday I hit the beach with my Safari and boy the beach was littered with crowncaps..roughly every 25 feet. No matter what I try to do with the 11" coil, walking angling ..I cannot discriminate them out. Luckily I found one small gold ring and a Stainless watch.My DFX and CZ20 do a great job at discriminating crown caps but not the Minelab. I enjoy the Safari quite a bit for finding old coins in areas I've cleaned with the Gamma and Core, but i really wish the Safari could handle these like the rest. Overall it's a great quality unit that I would love to use more.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured the Safari would have a high Fe number on the caps like the Etrac does.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem, but in my area they come in a little low most of the time around 31 or so. So after digging just a couple I learn not to dig more. They also don't sound as sweet but you always doubt yourself and have to dig the sound every once in a while to be sure....

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem, but in my area they come in a little low most of the time around 31 or so. So after digging just a couple I learn not to dig more. They also don't sound as sweet but you always doubt yourself and have to dig the sound every once in a while to be sure....

Fe numbers are not available on the Safari, there is a tonal variation however. The Safari is a tone machine ! Timelord i have 2 small rings that come in right around the same ID range as the screw caps so i dig them. Also some rings or pendants with stones all around produce a similar tonal variation. This is why i was wondering if anyone had a way, heel and toe does not work to well either.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fe numbers are not available on the Safari, there is a tonal variation however. The Safari is a tone machine ! Timelord i have 2 small rings that come in right around the same ID range as the screw caps so i dig them. Also some rings or pendants with stones all around produce a similar tonal variation. This is why i was wondering if anyone had a way, heel and toe does not work to well either.

Thanks, I did not know that. I have never dug anything but ferrous targets over 30 Fe with the Etrac.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the same thing between the E-trac and Excalibur 1000. E-trac is easy to tell bottle caps, with the Excalibur you're going to dig them.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed the bud light lime crownies will get me every time with the Excal. Others I seem to be able to tell by they "scratchiness" of the tone that it's a bottle cap.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, sure, most have a pretty sketchy sound on the Excalibur, but, they're too good to ignore. I've dug that same scratchy sound and found a bracket or necklace too.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Safari and it's love affair with crow caps

I know I figured at least one of those scratchy tones could be a Rolex watch so I dig them most of the time

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those damn DD coils on this machine and the CORE drive me nuts in these beaches with crown caps ! Looks like there is no avoiding these crown caps unless i use a concentric machine. I guess ill save the Safari for the clean beaches or to scour areas i cleared with my other land units.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm stuck inland in Ohio And a crown cap sounds like a piece of sh!t here. Best of luck !

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thinking if it sounds good dig it.... Most of the time a sweet sound is something good. The problem comes in where we want it to be good and you second guess yourself and dig a bad signal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beach, you should dig everything that has any kind of non-ferrous sound. I've recovered many pieces of good jewelry that sounded like junk. In a park, I probably would have passed it over, but, at the beach it doesn't take all that much to scoop it and see.

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beach, you should dig everything that has any kind of non-ferrous sound. I've recovered many pieces of good jewelry that sounded like junk. In a park, I probably would have passed it over, but, at the beach it doesn't take all that much to scoop it and see.

I typically do,at the beach i normally only discriminate iron and even dig all foil with my units. However bottlecaps present a specific dilemma, as they can be quite deep and forcing one to dig 14" holes and often times, time is valuable on a beach filled with crown caps. I normally hunt in Relic or All Metal 18-20 Sens and listen to the iron tones to rule them out, but many sound so sweet. But yes the beach is great for digging !

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread