Excalibur II acting strange during yesterdays hunt.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My blue 800 is more stable in disc lol. The threshold in pp is always a wavy, but in disc its very stable. I was experiencing some similar issues but gave it a recharge and things have been fine.

I would send it in, get the new headphones and the PP mod done and have them put the NEL Attack coil on there. You'll be good to go!

I've been thinking about the Attack coil, but I'm not too sure that I want to be swinging a larger, heavier coil around. I have a hard enough time trying to pinpoint a target, in the water, using the 10" coil. It is tempting.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clean the posts... and the holes.

Recheck.

Post results.

PS... don't bother with the alcohol... unless its Rum... then send that to me :P

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recheck.

Post results.

PS... don't bother with the alcohol... unless its Rum... then send that to me :P

Rum ... yum. :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recheck.

Post results.

The only problem w-the dirty contact theory is that I had no problem with the machine, on land??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be several things, first your friend with the pulse detector, how close was he to you when you were hunting, pulse detectors will drive an excal nuts if they are near you. You need at least 20-30 feet or more between the detectors...Also excals talk to each other, if there is another excal near you while your hunting it will cause the same type of problem

On the power connection, do you have the ikelite gasket on the power adapter on the connector where it attaches to the battery? If it is missing it will cause same problem. Do you put silicone grease on the ikelite gasket? Look at the pins on the the 3 prong power connector is there any corrosion on the pins...... Look at the bottom of your coil where the bottom and sides of coil meet, do you see any separations, coil could be de-laminating allowing water into coil......

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be several things, first your friend with the pulse detector, how close was he to you when you were hunting, pulse detectors will drive an excal nuts if they are near you. You need at least 20-30 feet or more between the detectors...Also excals talk to each other, if there is another excal near you while your hunting it will cause the same type of problem

On the power connection, do you have the ikelite gasket on the power adapter on the connector where it attaches to the battery? If it is missing it will cause same problem. Do you put silicone grease on the ikelite gasket? Look at the pins on the the 3 prong power connector is there any corrosion on the pins...... Look at the bottom of your coil where the bottom and sides of coil meet, do you see any separations, coil could be de-laminating allowing water into coil......

Was just the two of us hunting, and we are both aware of of the affects of our machines being too close together. We were, at all times, staying far away from each other.

I do use the ikelite gaskets and silicon.

I checked the coil over real well, and could not find any cracks or separations. I did find a little nick on the front of the coil so I held the coil under water to see if any air bubbles would come out of the nick, and there were none.

View attachment 1331841

View attachment 1331842

View attachment 1331843

View attachment 1331844

View attachment 1331845

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All cleaned and dry ?

give it a Retry ?

Hey I am a poet. :P

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All cleaned and dry ?

give it a Retry ?

Hey I am a poet. :P

Lol ... I would if I were not at least an hours drive from the nearest beach. :dontknow: Sucks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the collars where the knobs are, you will see 2 o-rings just below each knob, are there any cracks?

Check the control housing real good for cracks..

Look at the end caps on the controls, any cracks?

Look at end cap of battery, any cracks, look close and tilt it in the light it could be cracked between the two leads? Tiltingvit light allows you to see cracks just like glass.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might have taken care of the problem!

I slid the nut on the battery connector back so that I could watch as I pushed the connector, with seal, into the battery pod. Even when pushing the connector in firmly, I noticed that the seal was only just meeting the face of the battery pod, and not being compressed, at all. After examining the two posts on the connector, I noticed that both of them had a slight shoulder right at about the same point as the bottom of the slots in the posts. Using a toothpick, I checked the depths of the receiving holes, in the battery pod, and found out that there was still room for the connector to slide in further. Then, I used a razor blade, and shaved the shoulders on the posts away, smoothing the posts. Doing so allowed the connector to slide further into the pod thus creating more compression on the seal.

So, what do you guys think? Makes sense that since the seal was not being compressed enough, water may have been seeping in and causing a short between the posts or robbing power from them. I'm kind of anxious, now, to take her out, and give 'er a whirl. I see a road trip in my near future. Thanks alot for all the help! - bottlebum

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the collars where the knobs are, you will see 2 o-rings just below each knob, are there any cracks?

Check the control housing real good for cracks..

Look at the end caps on the controls, any cracks?

Look at end cap of battery, any cracks, look close and tilt it in the light it could be cracked between the two leads? Tiltingvit light allows you to see cracks just like glass.

Thanks, but those were some of the first things that I checked for. I'm hoping that I have taken care of the problem, but only a test will tell.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured that was the area of problem.

Hope it fixed it.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sure hope that works. Stick her in the pool or bath tub...

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure hope that works. Stick her in the pool or bath tub...

Well, if it weren't for the fact that I just got done putting the machine back on it's long shaft, I would stick it in the tub, but right now, it's way too long ... lol! Unfortunately, I have no pool ....

I'm feeling pretty confident, though, so I'm planning to do a beach hunt, on the 5th. I'll be sure to post the results. Thanks, penzfan.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fingers crossed bb...

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinking about the Attack coil, but I'm not too sure that I want to be swinging a larger, heavier coil around. I have a hard enough time trying to pinpoint a target, in the water, using the 10" coil. It is tempting.

swinging the attack in the water can be a bear. If you have the counter balance straight shaft its not as bad. When i go in the water I use the 8" coil. don't get the depth i'd like but it can still find targets. Hard enough digging in the water as it is I don't need to be going 15" down for a lead weight. But when swinging on the beach or low tide wet, I cover a lot of ground and go very deep.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I got to take the Excalibur out to another beach, to test it out. I have to say that it did pretty good. The only times that I noticed any false signals was when I had the sensitivity set any higher than 6, and if I set it to auto it would false once in awhile, which I thought was kind of strange. It also would false if the control pod was half way submerged, but not when fully submerged. Also, if the coil happened to float to the surface, it would start to false, but I think that is pretty normal?

Here's a pic of the finds. It's not much, but I'm always surprised to find anything at this particular beach because it gets hammered on a pretty regular basis. Thanks - Bottlebum

View attachment 1335778

Last edited:

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was gonna say it looks like it sticks out there pretty far.

I think I might have taken care of the problem!

I slid the nut on the battery connector back so that I could watch as I pushed the connector, with seal, into the battery pod. Even when pushing the connector in firmly, I noticed that the seal was only just meeting the face of the battery pod, and not being compressed, at all. After examining the two posts on the connector, I noticed that both of them had a slight shoulder right at about the same point as the bottom of the slots in the posts. Using a toothpick, I checked the depths of the receiving holes, in the battery pod, and found out that there was still room for the connector to slide in further. Then, I used a razor blade, and shaved the shoulders on the posts away, smoothing the posts. Doing so allowed the connector to slide further into the pod thus creating more compression on the seal.

So, what do you guys think? Makes sense that since the seal was not being compressed enough, water may have been seeping in and causing a short between the posts or robbing power from them. I'm kind of anxious, now, to take her out, and give 'er a whirl. I see a road trip in my near future. Thanks alot for all the help! - bottlebum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread