Excalibur II acting strange during yesterdays hunt.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted a Florida beach, yesterday, and while I was hunting the water, the machine kept falsing. It would false every time I either raised the coil off of the bottom or lowered it to the bottom. The machine worked well as I did find 27 coins that were pretty deep in the muck, and I could tell that they had been there for a long time. This is a beach that, I believe, gets hammered pretty often. Funny thing is that the machine worked great while hunting out of the water. A friend was hunting with a PI, and said that he wasn't experiencing any problems w-falsing while in the water, but did experience a little, while out of the water. Any thoughts on what might have been going on? I'm really hating the thought of having to, maybe, send my detector to the doc. Oh, and lowering the sensitivity had no affect on the problem.

Thanks - bottlebum

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try auto? That's always my preference before listening to a bunch of falsing and having to keep rescanning every few seconds

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try auto? That's always my preference before listening to a bunch of falsing and having to keep rescanning every few seconds

Fletch, I did try "auto", and it didn't help. No change. Thanks - Bill

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was EMI, but If it were EMI causing the problem, I would think that the machine would act up out of the water, too? Oh no, I just experienced an instance of deja vu. Awhile back, I had a similar problem with a Sov. GT, and it ended up being a bad coil causing the problem ....

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds like a cracked coil

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cracked coil
I sure do hope not. Makes me wish that I had used the machine more as I might have caught it earlier. It still looks new, and the coil doesn't have a scratch on it. Of course it's about a year out of warranty ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is, it may need a full charge on the Batteries.
Best of luck!
It was fully charged for that particular hunt. Plus, before re-charging, I always use a light bulb to fully discharge the batteries , and it took quite awhile for the bulb to go out. I hunted about six or seven hours that day.

I've been wanting to get the headphones changed out for the Grey Ghosts so I may just be sending it off to Kellyco, sooner than I had planned to.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides having low batteries, have you cleaned out the coil cover of black sand? This is very common thing to forget.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides having low batteries, have you cleaned out the coil cover of black sand? This is very common thing to forget.:thumbsup:

Sandman, I tried that while I was using it that day.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you carrying your cell phone?

No, the cell phone was in the truck.

I might just take it out one more time, to a different beach, and see what happens. I just wish that I was closer than an hours drive to a beach! lol!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you hunting in Disc or PP? I find that Disc can be rather chatty at times, but, PP is completely stable.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you hunting in Disc or PP? I find that Disc can be rather chatty at times, but, PP is completely stable.

Drop the threshold in Disc to where you cannot hear it and that will get rid of the chatter while still retaining depth.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did hunt for a little while, in PP, but cannot remember whether or not the machine was giving me the trouble, then. Didn't use PP for too long because I don't like switching back and forth, using the Disc./PP knob. I really need to get the PP mod. done to my machine.

Drop the threshold in Disc to where you cannot hear it and that will get rid of the chatter while still retaining depth.

I had thought about doing that that day, but didn't.

I'm working on getting different headphones for the machine so that I can send it off to Kellyco, to get the PP and headphone mods done to it. While the machine is there, I'll ask them to check to make sure that the machine is operating at it's full potential, and that the coil is good. That is if I do not end up going hunting before then. If I do go hunting before getting the mods done, I'll pay closer attention to what is going on, and when exactly the problems, if any, occur.

Thanks for all of the replies.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now, I'm kicking myself for selling my Blue 800. That machine was super stable ...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like either a coil prob or a wire connection prob.

Disconnect bat and clean the connection thoroughly... EVEN IF it is clean already...
Then clean post holes with a Q-tip with light alcohol...
Blow dry...
USe silicone as usual... WHICH brings up another point...
IF you are a silicone user like most...
Don't apply "liberally"...
Apply "gingerly"... keep it away from all metal in connection...

A build up... OR salt IN the silicone can cause probs.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH... and...

Do not use cheap silicone.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like either a coil prob or a wire connection prob.

Disconnect bat and clean the connection thoroughly... EVEN IF it is clean already...
Then clean post holes with a Q-tip with light alcohol...
Blow dry...
USe silicone as usual... WHICH brings up another point...
IF you are a silicone user like most...
Don't apply "liberally"...
Apply "gingerly"... keep it away from all metal in connection...

A build up... OR salt IN the silicone can cause probs.

OH... and...

Do not use cheap silicone.

It should be good on all of the points that you mentioned as I keep my machine spotless. If I remember correctly, the manual recommends a very light film of silicone on the metal posts of the battery connector? I'll try cleaning the posts and post holes as you suggested. Certainly wont hurt to do so. Thanks

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My blue 800 is more stable in disc lol. The threshold in pp is always a wavy, but in disc its very stable. I was experiencing some similar issues but gave it a recharge and things have been fine.

I would send it in, get the new headphones and the PP mod done and have them put the NEL Attack coil on there. You'll be good to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread